Service schedule?

NickB2005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I posted this on the g70 Facebook page...not sure if you guys are on there too? It’s starting to get some traction, but it’s not a private group so beware what you post. Here’s my post there...

What is the G70's maintenance schedule? I just got a random email saying I scheduled an appointment with the dealer Thursday 2/28, but I did not so I canceled it. I am only at like 1200 miles right now and have had it since 12/1. I don’t know if maybe 3 months they auto schedule you?

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I posted this on the g70 Facebook page...not sure if you guys are on there too? It’s starting to get some traction, but it’s not a private group so beware what you post. Here’s my post there...

What is the G70's maintenance schedule? I just got a random email saying I scheduled an appointment with the dealer Thursday 2/28, but I did not so I canceled it. I am only at like 1200 miles right now and have had it since 12/1. I don’t know if maybe 3 months they auto schedule you?
Yeah I got auto scheduled for 3 months. I also canceled.

I’m at 1,700 miles and almost 4 months.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Some dealers will schedule the first service at the time of sale. It may have been that.
The maintenance schedule is in the manual. Determine if you are normal or severe and follow it.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some dealers will schedule the first service at the time of sale. It may have been that.
The maintenance schedule is in the manual. Determine if you are normal or severe and follow it.
And look at their definition of "severe" in the manual--it can be easy to consider your driving "non-severe"--but based on the definition in the manual, a lot of people fit in the severe category. :)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
this has been a confusing topic discussed in other forum sections as well. i am told the official OCI is 1 year or 10,000kms whichever comes first. that said, i just hit 6 months and 4,000kms and received a notification by email and in-car telling me my car is due. i've always used 6 months OCI as a rule since i never drive enough to trigger service on mileage. when i checked with Genesis they couldn't explain why i received a 6 month notification, and re-confirmed the complimentary services are based on an annual schedule (or equivalent miles, whichever comes first).

i'll take care of the 6 month change on my own dime elsewhere, and will likely change out the rear LSD diff fluid with the first Genesis service @ 1 year. the dealer wants ~$180 for a basic oil change which seems way high. my wife's highlander uses 6L of OE-spec Synthetic, and Toyota only charges $70 which includes a bunch of inspections and reports, etc. the G70 oil alone is $100 and they spec 0W30 which is too light for my old-school ways so i'll stick to 5W30 which is also approved in the manual as well as the oil fill cap. truth be told, i'd like to give 5W40 a shot. i've never used that weight before since i think that's more of a 'euro blend':

^ when i read very thin oil viscosities called up for 'better fuel economy' i can't help but correlate that to 'reduced lubrication protection' which irks me since i typically keep my vehicles a long time. i know synthetics are great and all, but come on...

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
this has been a confusing topic discussed in other forum sections as well. i am told the official OCI is 1 year or 10,000kms whichever comes first. that said, i just hit 6 months and 4,000kms and received a notification by email and in-car telling me my car is due. i've always used 6 months OCI as a rule since i never drive enough to trigger service on mileage. when i checked with Genesis they couldn't explain why i received a 6 month notification, and re-confirmed the complimentary services are based on an annual schedule (or equivalent miles, whichever comes first).

i'll take care of the 6 month change on my own dime elsewhere, and will likely change out the rear LSD diff fluid with the first Genesis service @ 1 year. the dealer wants ~$180 for a basic oil change which seems way high. my wife's highlander uses 6L of OE-spec Synthetic, and Toyota only charges $70 which includes a bunch of inspections and reports, etc. the G70 oil alone is $100 and they spec 0W30 which is too light for my old-school ways so i'll stick to 5W30 which is also approved in the manual as well as the oil fill cap. truth be told, i'd like to give 5W40 a shot. i've never used that weight before since i think that's more of a 'euro blend':

View attachment 18382

^ when i read very thin oil viscosities called up for 'better fuel economy' i can't help but correlate that to 'reduced lubrication protection' which irks me since i typically keep my vehicles a long time. i know synthetics are great and all, but come on...
I've used 5w-40 synthetic in my wife's WRX ever since she bought it - started using it after I read this...

Rotella T6 5w/40/ 4080miles/ 07 Subaru STi

...Long story short, this oil seems to be lasting a long time according to oil analysis results. I'm specifically using Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40 (same oil as referenced in the above forum). Evidently they recently changed their formulation, but it's still essentially the same as the above thread references.

I don't know much about other brands of 5w-40, but I figure they're all pretty good. Also, I'm the same as you, I wouldnt trust 0w-30 on this engine, unless you drive it very gently all the time, or are leasing. You'll certainly see worse fuel economy with the thicker stuff, but IMO it's worth the extra protection especially for those of us who are looking to increase power via aftermarket solutions.

EDIT: I have also been eyeing the newer 0w-40 oils. They seem like a good fit for the 3.3tt, not only for protection but for less intake valve deposits resulting from direct injection. Here is a thread discussing the newest revision of Mobile 1's 0w-40 synthetic oil.

New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Last edited:

scorp99cam

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I haven’t heard anyone else say this, but my dealer said you’re eligible for valet service every 3,750 miles for free oil changes.

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just picked up my G80 a couple of weeks ago, and yes, the Sales person was required to schedule a Service Appointment for 6 months.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
I purchased two Sonatas, 105 miles from my home. (Super Price). Both times, dealer made service appointments for me. Don't matter how much or little you drive. I just ignore it. I take my cars to a dealer service department I like, 25 miles away because I like them. Don't even go to a dealer only 10 miles away.

I go by the book. Either just drive in or make my own appointment.

I've since traded one of my Sonatas for a Brand-X from a small local dealer who only wants appointments. Checked with a large Brand-X 25 miles away who will accept drive-ins with no appointments. I have no problems making appointments at the small local dealer.

I continue taking my one Sonata to the Hyundai/Genesis dealer 25 miles away.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.