Shell 87 octane (curiosity)

Main/preferred fuel brand Choice 87-93 ?

• Shell

• Mobil

• Chevron

• Costco

Results are only viewable after voting.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hey Guys if anyone has a lot more detailed knowledge about fuel , please kindly comment. How truly good is Shell 87 compare chevron & mobil 1 ? Ive done a little bit of research it seems like mobil 1 & chevron has more additives on their 87 octane than Shell has, is it true ? Ppl always talk about about shell 91/93 V power premium but not much about the 87 octane. I do have a fuel rewards from grocery shopping times for shell that I never used for years since ive been using chevron & mobil 1 primarily. How good is shell 87 octane ? Assuming you live in area where shell & chevron & mobil was very close what would you drive to & why ?

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hey Guys if anyone has a lot more detailed knowledge about fuel , please kindly comment. How truly good is Shell 87 compare chevron & mobil 1 ? Ive done a little bit of research it seems like mobil 1 & chevron has more additives on their 87 octane than Shell has, is it true ? Ppl always talk about about shell 91/93 V power premium but not much about the 87 octane. I do have a fuel rewards from grocery shopping times for shell that I never used for years since ive been using chevron & mobil 1 primarily. How good is shell 87 octane ? Assuming you live in area where shell & chevron & mobil was very close what would you drive to & why ?

Where did the Shell vs. Mobil vs. Chevron additive info come from?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've had a Shell card for about 40 years. It is the closest station both when I lived in CT and FL and using the card I get 5 cents off. No 76 stations around here.

I've yet to see real facts and comparisons on additives and it all comes from the same batch at the tank farm. You also state a couple of brands have more additives. Meaningless unless you know what the additives are and what they do.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
i seen this
Interesting they measured residue left. That does not make it better because you had more. That could be residue left to foul your plugs. Just as adding fat to ground beef, more is not better once you reach a certain point.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Add Costco and QuikTrip and I'll vote for those. They both offer Top Tier fuel at the best price in my area.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
i seen this
Hell, this video is actually informative especially around 4:00 when it focus on tests about gas additive content in the various big name fuels.

Shell does claim that V-power has about three times the detergent than its regular gas, the video confirmed it if the information source is creditable.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hell, this video is actually informative especially around 4:00 when it focus on tests about gas additive content in the various big name fuels.

Shell does claim that V-power has about three times the detergent than its regular gas, the video confirmed it if the information source is creditable.
I don't doubt the amount of additives but they still give no explanation as to what they are or do or how they compare. How much is science, how much is advertising?

Lets say the perfect gas has equal parts of three additives, red, white, blue. They add 5 ml per gallon. Buy my gas, it has 10 ml per gallon of blue additive! That justifies the price but does not mean it is better.

They did show a comparison of vales that does show the need for additives but we really don't know what gas was used on the bad valve. I'm comfortable with any top tier gas. However, Exxon will put a tiger in your tank.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Thats why i personally will not use Shell regular only shell v power , exxon and chevron regular seems to be the superior choice when it comes to regular octane , it’s probably not a big deal at all but i mean, its a choice. Its funny shell has three times the detergent only on their premium, but chevron has techron equally on all 3 gas grades. Exxon-mobil as well , there is a 2x on the premium. Costco should be balanced on 3 grades.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I don't doubt the amount of additives but they still give no explanation as to what they are or do or how they compare. How much is science, how much is advertising?

Lets say the perfect gas has equal parts of three additives, red, white, blue. They add 5 ml per gallon. Buy my gas, it has 10 ml per gallon of blue additive! That justifies the price but does not mean it is better.

They did show a comparison of vales that does show the need for additives but we really don't know what gas was used on the bad valve. I'm comfortable with any top tier gas. However, Exxon will put a tiger in your tank.
I can only go with what works and is backed by some information. I only use premium gas and Shell seems to be the one with the most cleaning agents. I use Shell to mainly keep my fuel injectors and pistons clean since direct injector prevents the fuel from cleaning the valves. Some people seem to forget that the fuel injectors in direct injection engines are very expensive and are prone to being clogged by carbon as well as the valves.

I do not use regular gas in any of my engines including my lawn mower(it uses BP 89 silver without ethanol), so I am not concerned about Shell 87 detergent content.

Shell V-power seems to be a good top-tier gas with data to back it up, hence why I use it in my car engines. However, all my car engines are designed to run premium. Lexus 3.5 V6, Cadillac 6.0 V8, and the Hyundai 5.0 V8.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Does it matter if you have a direct injection engine? The fuel isn't flowing over the valves to clean them. Might help for older port injection and newer engines that have both port and direct.
Yes, it matters.

The cleaning agents in fuel still helps keep the fuel injector nozzles clean of carbon and well as the piston top/rings. The valves are not the only part of the engine that can be coated in carbon. So, yes fuel with cleaning agents does matter in an direct injection engine overall. Valves, not so much.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm comfortable with any top tier gas. However, Exxon will put a tiger in your tank.
Ed, do you recall that campaign that Exxon did, probably in the early 70's, where if you filled up your car, they would give you this foot long, fuzzy tiger's tail? It had a little elastic strap on it so you could tie it into your fuel cap. You then closed the fuel door over that. It made it looks like like you had a "tiger in you tank".

That campaign worked, I don't remember how old I was but I do remember begging my parents to fill up at Exxon so I could get another tiger's tail... After it rode around on the car for a couple of days.

Thinking back, it was also the first time I became aware of gas stations and their differences.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ed, do you recall that campaign that Exxon did, probably in the early 70's, where if you filled up your car, they would give you this foot long, fuzzy tiger's tail? It had a little elastic strap on it so you could tie it into your fuel cap. You then closed the fuel door over that. It made it looks like like you had a "tiger in you tank".

That campaign worked, I don't remember how old I was but I do remember begging my parents to fill up at Exxon so I could get another tiger's tail... After it rode around on the car for a couple of days.

Thinking back, it was also the first time I became aware of gas stations and their differences.
What does he mean about “put a tiger in your tank” ? Specifically??

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums