Shift plate trimming

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Had 5 minutes to do the rough cut on the opening for the shifter.

Left overhang so I can go back later to undercut the plastic and roll the aluminum down for a smoother transition at the edges.

Attachments

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
What am I missing in this posting???
Modified A/T shifter cover to accommodate a M/T shifter.

It's one of several keys pieces when converting an automatic to a manual

It's far from complete, still need to undercut the plastic,and roll the edges,

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
what engine are you putting the manual behind?

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
What made you decide on the gearbox that you're planning on? Will you be sourcing the hydraulic and pedal system from the same car?

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
What made you decide on the gearbox that you're planning on? Will you be sourcing the hydraulic and pedal system from the same car?
Currently looking at using a Coupe pedal assembly, there is a cluster of control modules that have to be shifted/ relocated to accommodate the pedal but there is plenty of space to work with.

If I run into issues I can always utilize a wildwood kit that I've been saving for my Titan.

The transmissions I'm working with have essentially the same guts as an old Skyline R34, and an actual R34 transmission (but I won't be utilizing it since AWD would be even more complicated and time consuming).

Plus the internals can be upgraded fairly easily from a couple different companies that specilize in race parts.

Last edited:

Paul

Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
Outstanding. I can't wait to see your progress with this project. When my trans started shifting hard, I began to wonder how cool it would be to attempt a manual swap but ended up getting rid of the car before it got any worse.
I always imagined going with a GM box due to their small footprint, hp/tq capacity and aftermarket support, but the one that you are planning on is more than up to the task.
Have you had any luck finding an 8spd trans core yet?

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Outstanding. I can't wait to see your progress with this project. When my trans started shifting hard, I began to wonder how cool it would be to attempt a manual swap but ended up getting rid of the car before it got any worse.
I always imagined going with a GM box due to their small footprint, hp/tq capacity and aftermarket support, but the one that you are planning on is more than up to the task.
Have you had any luck finding an 8spd trans core yet?
Not yet.
Not investing $800+ in a transmission that I only need an hour worth of measuring with.

Looks like I may end up parking the Genesis for a week and just yanking the trans out to get my template done.

Everything is temporarily on hold until I get back from a business conference in Texas.

Paul

Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
Couple of questions, or more food for thought... Where are you located? Before downing your car and pulling the trans to get a template, are there any resources in your area that would give you access to a transmission to take measurements? (i.e. local tuner friendly dealerships/performance shops/salvage yards or the like?)
For example, Level 10 which is located in New Jersey does Hyundai Tranny builds, might be able to help you out. Looking at their website, it appears that their Hyundai focus is with the coupes, but they might have some 8spd info as well.
Again, just spit-balling some ideas to maybe save you the hassle of downing your car unnecessarily.

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
what engine are you putting the manual behind?
Tau 5.0
There are other easier engine swaps out there but I am quite fond of the 5.0

It's going to require a custom flywheel and a bell housing adapter plate.

Existing flexplate needs to be retained as the CKPS needs it.

TCM needs to be bypassed or it goes into limp mode. (Working on that)

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Couple of questions, or more food for thought... Where are you located? Before downing your car and pulling the trans to get a template, are there any resources in your area that would give you access to a transmission to take measurements? (i.e. local tuner friendly dealerships/performance shops/salvage yards or the like?)
For example, Level 10 which is located in New Jersey does Hyundai Tranny builds, might be able to help you out. Looking at their website, it appears that their Hyundai focus is with the coupes, but they might have some 8spd info as well.
Again, just spit-balling some ideas to maybe save you the hassle of downing your car unnecessarily.
Not , that I know of, in North Florida.
Most V8 swaps in this area are Chevy and Ford power plants.