• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Shifter error

Minuteman

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My 3.3t died last night. 3120 miles. I first had a bad smell come in the car, then the engine revs started going up and down randomly. Then the car just felt like it was in neutral and the engine didn’t respond to gas pedal input. Barely made it off the street. I got a shifter error code. Big puddle of what i assume is transmission fluid. Had it towed and wont hear from dealer until Monday some times. I guess I can just walk until then. Anyone have a clue what happened and how long until I get my car back?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang... That's horrible! I'm glad you're okay despite the potential danger.

As for the car, my only guess would be something with the transmission. I wonder if it sprung a leak, perhaps around the transmission cooler lines...? Again, just a guess on my part. If that's indeed the case, you'll probably need a whole new transmission. From what I've seen on the Stinger forum, it can take up to 6 weeks for a competent dealership to replace it. Some are quicker at repairs than others.... And some, like mine, are not competent enough to even make the repair to being with.

I wish you luck. Keep us updated and let us know what happens. I'm beginning to think that transmission problems are becoming ridiculously commonplace with our cars and the Stinger. 😐

rkar

Registered Member
Man that's terrible. There are several posts regarding the transmissions on our cars and the stingers. My car personally jerks really hard from time to time usually when it's in sport mode when I'm cruising to a stop, or coming to a stop at around 10-5 mph. Although it did jerk pretty hard on the freeway the other night when I was in sport mode as I laid off the throttle and was coming to a stop. Anyway, hopefully they figure it out. I smell something funny as well from time to time only when I step out of the drivers door and I can smell something burning or a chemical smell which isn't too profound. Makes me wonder.. idk. Good luck let us know what they say.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang... That's horrible! I'm glad you're okay despite the potential danger.

As for the car, my only guess would be something with the transmission. I wonder if it sprung a leak, perhaps around the transmission cooler lines...? Again, just a guess on my part. If that's indeed the case, you'll probably need a whole new transmission. From what I've seen on the Stinger forum, it can take up to 6 weeks for a competent dealership to replace it. Some are quicker at repairs than others.... And some, like mine, are not competent enough to even make the repair to being with.

I wish you luck. Keep us updated and let us know what happens. I'm beginning to think that transmission problems are becoming ridiculously commonplace with our cars and the Stinger. 😐
The car was out for a year in Korea, can’t believe this stuff didn’t come up there. I won’t pass judgement until the OP has a shop diagnose because for all we know it could have been something that came loose from the factory and not a defect in a part. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. Even though I get rough shifts occasionally, I put it down more to the transmission programming than anything going wrong

Minuteman

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update. The dealer found that the transmission cooler line separated from the cooler. That made the transmission stop working to avoid damage. Glad I was on a side street when it happened. They think it was installed wrong at the factory. The dealer fixed the connection, cleaned all the fluid that sprayed all over undercarriage and engine. refilled and tested. Took a day. Everyone I dealt with at Genesis Norwood was very nice. Got it back last night and it drives great.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update. The dealer found that the transmission cooler line separated from the cooler. That made the transmission stop working to avoid damage. Glad I was on a side street when it happened. They think it was installed wrong at the factory. The dealer fixed the connection, cleaned all the fluid that sprayed all over undercarriage and engine. refilled and tested. Took a day. Everyone I dealt with at Genesis Norwood was very nice. Got it back last night and it drives great.

Woah! I'm glad they didn't have to replace the entire transmission. The G70 has a lot of protective and well thought out, but complicated electronics. It's nice that it's smart enough to disable certain functions in order to prevent from damaging itself. I'm glad it's driving great, too! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums