• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Shifter System Malfunction

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Short Take: Got error code, dealership to replace "parking solenoid". The service advisor mentioned a TSB on the issue.

I haven't seen this posted, so just conveying experience thus far.

Got the following console error message. Took a few days to coordinate a loaner / pick-up. I believe work should be completed by end of day tomorrow 6/11.
Besides error code, you could hear something "mechanical" when shifting from Park to R; also when shifting back to Park.

I'm light on details as I'm waiting for work to be completed and the return of my car.

I've thus far had good dealings with this dealership; I will give a write-up of them in the "Dealership Experience" sub forum after the above is resolved.

ShifterSystemMalfunction1.jpg.

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just got car returned. Here's the detail. I won't be able to test drive until after work, crossing fingers the below fixed the issue. I plan a long drive from the SF Bay to LA this weekend, we'll see how it goes.

So far I only have good things to say about Genesis of Concord: from my Salesman, Service Advisor and Service Manager. I think they are making a concerted effort to show Genesis as a premium brand.

I plan to give them a more detail review in another thread; they have ticked off all the boxes, not in just fixing the above (hopefully); but..
  • Also providing a G70 loaner (which should be standard protocol but apparently not from other dealers from what I've read),
  • Offering and fixing a scuff on a rim free of charge, and
  • when I brought up a particular issue, they profusely apologized and when it came to receive my car they gave me a Ruth's Chris gift card for a good amount of money!
So I have to say I've been impressed with Genesis of Concord. If any bay area locals wish to work with any of the staff I mentioned above I'll be happy to forward you their contact info, just shoot me a PM.

IMG_0536.jpg

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice! Looking over the service bulletins from the FSM shows the whole process along with other common transmission error codes. The solenoids are pretty much all serviceable, and replacement seems relatively straightforward. I am positive you'll have no problems shifting into park after their work! Also, glad to hear your dealership is treating you well - I wish my closest dealer was as good as yours.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Point taken, on the flip side I wouldn't want to be given hyundai Kona after puchasing a 50k car just weeks prior. It's relative I guess, the point I was trying to make is that the dealer is making efforts to meet that "luxury level" that Genesis is trying to establish.

Anyway, I got to drive around a 2.0 Elite for 5-6 days and able to appreciate the differences between the drivetrains and interiors of each.

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Any update on this after the TSB was implemented? Is the transmission still having issues with the mechanical "sound" when going from P to R or vice versa? Mine has definitely made some unpleasant "clunks", when going from D or R to P.

Last edited:

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wonder if this thread is going to help more folks in light of the clunking transmission being noticed by several on this forum and by MT in their long term car. Hope it's just the solenoid that needs replacing. I haven't heard any P to D or R to D clunks on mine yet but it is something to watch out for.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums