• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sibling Rivalry - G70 vs Stinger

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A defense video of the Stinger. Interesting take and understandable as each forum will defend the merits of their car. He's got some good points that the G70 really isn't much lighter and is definitely dependent on trim level, engine, and RWD vs AWD.

I haven't seen the Car and Driver article but would like to know the details. If anyone has the article, please chime in. Ultimately, these are the same cars more or less with different focus areas. No doubt in my mind that with like trim levels and tires, the G70 will out handle the Stinger. 1/4 mile is likely not to be much different given the same. The Stinger is much better in the practical areas such as storage and rear seat room. The G70 looks better and has a nicer interior but that is of course my subjective opinion. I really like the Stinger in so many ways.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The Car and Driver graphic the guy in the video showed, claiming them testing the Stinger and G70 back-to-back, was from this article:

The 2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Is a Worthy 3-series Competitor

They didn't test the G70 straight with the Stinger. I assume he saw the comparison graphic and got confused into thinking it was a group test. C&D simply compared the recorded metrics they have on file. I (kinda obsessively) tracked G70 articles for a while, and I haven't seen C&D directly test the G70 to anything. Also, he was incorrect about the Stinger beating the G70 in the roadholding test (which he corrected in an annotation) and the braking test (which he did not correct with annotation).

Overall, I think he has a poor analysis of how the cars compare, though I do agree with his conclusion that the cars are super similar and perform pretty similarly. If you want to see journalist comparisons of the two cars, this article and this video are the only direct comparisons that come to mind so far. From reading a ton of reviews, the list below is how I believe the cars compare. Tl;dr - the Stinger is bigger (not much heavier though) than the G70, with all the pros and cons associated with that.

• Acceleration: pretty much the same. The 3.3T engines have had very similar results in media releases, with both cars beating the other at some point. In 2.0T though, the Stinger has had ~1 second less 0-60 mph times than the G70, so the Stinger is probably tuned better.
  • Handling: in terms of actual grip metrics, the two don't have much difference because of the similar weight, same tires, and same suspension setup. However, that doesn't mean that they feel the same in handling. Tons of media agree that the G70 feels better in handling than the Stinger, including ones that did direct comparisons, so it's not just a placebo. This is likely because of the bigger size of the Stinger, which can impact handling feel.
  • Ride: pretty much the same. I've seen a lot of both "the G70 is softer as a luxury car" and "the G70 is firmer as a sporty car vs. Stinger's GT character". The suspension tunes are definitely different, but probably not too much so.
  • Interior quality: the G70 is definitely higher quality.
  • Interior space: the Stinger is definitely bigger.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Stinger is a GT and the G70 is a Sport Sedan.
I like the look of the Stinger a lot. I didn't think I would like the rear end but after seeing it multiple times and in the night with the taillights on, it looks spectacular!
The G70 has a really nice rear end too but the front-end needs a stouter look. It needs a flatter nose. The bulbous one makes it look a little weak!

Carguy55

Registered Member
Clinton Township, Michigan
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I test drove a couple of Stinger GT2s back in August and spent the next 6 weeks trying to buy one, but couldn’t find one in the colors that I wanted (Ceramic Silver w/red int) w/o having to drive 7 hours (wasn’t impressed with the local Kia sales forces here in SE MI). Then I read a Stinger/G70 comparison article and decided to check out the G70 and ended up buying my Design Edition). I think I would have been perfectly happy with the Stinger, but the quality look & feel of the G70 (especially the interior of my DE) and 3 years of services/maps & concierge sold me on the G70. And the G70 DE ended up being about $4K cheaper than the Stinger GT2 with current incentives ! I still think the Stinger is the more interesting looking car, but the “class” of the G70 is quickly growing on me!
Enjoy,
Carguy55

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I test drove a couple of Stinger GT2s back in August and spent the next 6 weeks trying to buy one, but couldn’t find one in the colors that I wanted (Ceramic Silver w/red int) w/o having to drive 7 hours (wasn’t impressed with the local Kia sales forces here in SE MI). Then I read a Stinger/G70 comparison article and decided to check out the G70 and ended up buying my Design Edition). I think I would have been perfectly happy with the Stinger, but the quality look & feel of the G70 (especially the interior of my DE) and 3 years of services/maps & concierge sold me on the G70. And the G70 DE ended up being about $4K cheaper than the Stinger GT2 with current incentives ! I still think the Stinger is the more interesting looking car, but the “class” of the G70 is quickly growing on me!
Enjoy,
Carguy55
What were your driving impressions between the two?

Carguy55

Registered Member
Clinton Township, Michigan
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The driving dynamics felt virtually identical between the Stingers (GT2 w/AS tires) and the G70s (I drove a Sport w/summer tires and my DE with AS tires). These were all test drives in suburbs with some freeway time, so I couldn't compare the limits of the cars (and wouldn't have tried anyway). Predictably, the best handling & worst riding car was the G70 Sport (wish I had checked tire pressures on the IP); it was also comparable to the Stingers in sound levels even though the Stingers were on AS tires - I blame the hatchback configuration of the Stinger for the noise as my DE on AS tires seems notably quieter. Too bad none of the Stinger GT2s here in SE MI had summer tires...
Enjoy,
Carguy55

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I personally came very close to buying the Stinger.
The stinger had 2 benefits over the G70 imo:

1. Rear seat space (I have kids)
2. Hatch - I love hatches, but in the end don't really need one since my wife drives an SUV

The 3 major benefits of the G70 over the Stinger were:

1. Handling - I preferred the tighter steering and handling of the G70. Stinger was a bit too soft. This wasn't a deal breaker though, but the first hit against the Stinger.
2. Interior - The G70 is a way nicer place to spend time in. Leather feels (and looks) more expensive and the materials just feel better, and spending lots of time in a car, that is important to me. At this point, I still could have gone either way though, and there was this...
3. Dealer/service - In Canada anyway, with the G70, I get 100,000km of free service, 2 map updates a year, and the valet service so I don't have to waste time at a dealership (which for the most part I hate all of them). I asked at two different Kia dealerships to price out maintenance for 100,000km. Both came up with about $5K of maintenance and both included shit that did not need to be done. Just thinking about coming into the service center every 4ish months to fight with some idiot about what I want to pay for and what I don't want to pay for was enough to seal the deal on the G70. And I have no regrets on that decision.

My son with the size 11 shoe (and still growing) may have a different opinion though lol

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
The driving dynamics felt virtually identical between the Stingers (GT2 w/AS tires) and the G70s (I drove a Sport w/summer tires and my DE with AS tires). These were all test drives in suburbs with some freeway time, so I couldn't compare the limits of the cars (and wouldn't have tried anyway). Predictably, the best handling & worst riding car was the G70 Sport (wish I had checked tire pressures on the IP); it was also comparable to the Stingers in sound levels even though the Stingers were on AS tires - I blame the hatchback configuration of the Stinger for the noise as my DE on AS tires seems notably quieter. Too bad none of the Stinger GT2s here in SE MI had summer tires...
Enjoy,
Carguy55
This is a great point... so many people and car reviewers will draw absolutes in terms of comparison from their limited exposure and butt dyno. The tires have so much to do with a car's performance that it can rapidly change one's conclusion. I've seen reviews where they put the exact same tires/compounds on each vehicle to test in parity.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, I was going to get a Stinger....the G70 took sooooooooooo long to hit the market.

But, in the end, I decided I liked the luxury aspects better than the extra room. Plus, the Stinger's faux-vents drive me nuts. I always say the Stinger is a beautiful woman with too many facial piercings.

Last edited:

Avocent

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I like them both the main difference to me is SPACE how much space do you need, if you carry frequent rear passengers then the Stinger is the clear choice. I love the G70 but the rear seats are only really good for people on short trips.

I however rarely utilize my rear seats (I've carried rear passengers a grand total of 3 times in 6 years of owning my current car) so the rear seats to me are like an extension to the trunk that happens to have seat belts for the unfortunate few that insist on riding with me. :p

I'm currently working on a G70 deal with a (poor salesperson) so the sales is 50/50 but if it fails i may reconsider the stinger as the 0% financing is super attractive.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm currently working on a G70 deal with a (poor salesperson) so the sales is 50/50 but if it fails i may reconsider the stinger as the 0% financing is super attractive.
I noticed they are offering $8700 off MSRP with the lease, or 0% @ 75 month on a GT2 here. Makes a model that comps well to the G70 sport with a cap-cost of only ~$45000 if you lease it.

ephone1

Registered Member
I have always found this puzzling and believe there are some underhanded shenanigans at work.
I looked over the Car and Driver Lighting Lap info, and found that C&D hasn't tested a BMW 3 Series in any form in that bakeoff since 2009. You can bet that BMW has reasons for not providing them. Ultimately, the 3 Series is BMW's biggest seller, and why expose any potential issues that might arise while the car gets pounded at Virginia International Speedway. I'm not suggesting an M3 wouldn't do well, but there are a lot variables that could affect the outcome and there is more downside than upside for BMW.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Yeah, I was going to get a Stinger....the G70 took sooooooooooo long to hit the market.

But, in the end, I decided I liked the luxury aspects better than the extra room. Plus, the Stinger's faux-vents drive me nuts. I always say the Stinger is a beautiful woman with too many facial piercings.
I kind of felt the same way the stinger design always looked a little “busy” while the G70 was much cleaner looking without resorting to a lot of gimmicky styling cues.

PL718

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Test drove a G70 Sport and Stinger GT2. I agree with what most have written and posted. In those configurations the G70 feels a little tighter/sportier.
The “GT” reference in the Stinger name sums it up nicely.
Fit and finish nicer in the G70 as it’s intended.
Overall, both nice cars with great motors!

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I will say that the Stingers going into the aftermarket are some really hot deals. New I'd get the 2.0, fuel economy concerns, but on the aftermarket I'd get the 3.3 and still make money since their re-sell is hooooooooooooooooooorrible.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums