Sluggish G70 2.0T

hejpath

Detroit, MI
Genesis G70
I enjoy driving this car for the most part, but it seems extremely sluggish from a standing start. If it's turbo lag, it's the most extreme I've ever experienced. I know the awd adds substantial weight. Any thoughts?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
8800 miles. Previous car was a Kia Optima 2.0T. Seemed faster with very little turbo lag.
Depending on model and options you may be moving an extra 300 - 500 pounds or more. Gearing may be different.

Talk to your dealer and drive another G70 AWD and see if it feels the same or different and have them drive yours. Unless we drive your car we really can't tell if it is as expected or not. Sort of like asking if your pillow is too soft.

hejpath

Detroit, MI
Genesis G70
Depending on model and options you may be moving an extra 300 - 500 pounds or more. Gearing may be different.

Talk to your dealer and drive another G70 AWD and see if it feels the same or different and have them drive yours. Unless we drive your car we really can't tell if it is as expected or not. Sort of like asking if your pillow is too soft.
Thanks. I considered those performance factors. Thought others might have the same impression. Will try your suggestions.

hejpath

Detroit, MI
Genesis G70
The AWD 2.0T G70 and the RWD do feel quite different. I think the AWD feels heavy.

It's funny but I also feel more grunt off the line in ECO than SPORT.
The AWD IS heavy, but RWD is apparently unavailable here in Michigan. I definitely have to try The ECO launch.

Cereal Box

Registered Member
Genesis G70
3.3 here and I think it's the traction because it does weird things and the car responds differently every time you punch the throttle on a stopped or a rolling start

It allows slip sometimes and its super fun but other times the car doesn't respond the way I'd like it too. Feels sluggish and doesn't downshift quickly enough.

Try turning the traction off but leave stability on because it doesn't really kick in unless you do something really stupid.

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I wonder if this lag is (at least in part) due to the drive by wire throttle. It's pretty bad in many BMWs. Although I don't notice any in my 3.3T, especially in Sport mode, many 2.0 owners have complained about this.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis G70
New G70 2.0T AWD owner here. I feel a bit of lag, but it goes away nearly instantly if you just push the throttle a bit more. Felt worse lag in a high powered Mercedes with a naturally aspirated V8. The 2.0T is pleasantly fast, I was a bit afraid it would feel sluggish. Maybe a reflash would improve it, but it just feels like it is part of the car's character.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I enjoy driving this car for the most part, but it seems extremely sluggish from a standing start. If it's turbo lag, it's the most extreme I've ever experienced. I know the awd adds substantial weight. Any thoughts?
Just curious. Were you able to get this issue solved?

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Another thought here...a G70 2.0T AWD with a passenger or two weighs close to 2 tons. Moving this thing is a 120 cu. in. 4 cyl engine. Lets not forget the turbo from a standstill is nothing but dead weight until it spins up. The AWD system adds friction, mass and rotational inertia to overcome from a standstill. Not sure who makes the turbo, but it probably is not as strong from low rpm as the BMW units. If anyone has ever driven a new Porsche Cayman or Boxster, they are also laggy from a standing start. While I am not saying nothing can be done about this, there are trade offs from asking a small 4 cylinder engine to produce near V8 power. The lag isn't that bad in my car, I appreciate the fuel savings in bumper to bumper traffic and power when called upon.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Another thought here...a G70 2.0T AWD with a passenger or two weighs close to 2 tons. Moving this thing is a 120 cu. in. 4 cyl engine. Lets not forget the turbo from a standstill is nothing but dead weight until it spins up. The AWD system adds friction, mass and rotational inertia to overcome from a standstill. Not sure who makes the turbo, but it probably is not as strong from low rpm as the BMW units. If anyone has ever driven a new Porsche Cayman or Boxster, they are also laggy from a standing start. While I am not saying nothing can be done about this, there are trade offs from asking a small 4 cylinder engine to produce near V8 power. The lag isn't that bad in my car, I appreciate the fuel savings in bumper to bumper traffic and power when called upon.

The turbo is by Garrett/Honeywell. It's a twin scroll, it should spool pretty dang quick. I think some of the "lag" experienced is from the ECU tuning.

d2d6a55413beb488239e0cc214a5d419.jpg

After installing my EWG control for the JB4 I noticed quicker spool on my 3.3tt, it also hit MUCH harder when boost kicked in. On top of the purposefully sluggish wastegate control, the ECU also modulates the throttle plate to limit boost ramp up. You can see this with datalogging.

So, yes, there is some turbo lag from the hardware of a small 2 liter engine spinning the turbine and compressor. But, a significant portion of this is from software and tuning.

Last edited:

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis G70
The turbo is by Garrett/Honeywell. It's a twin scroll, it should spool pretty dang quick. I think some of the "lag" experienced is from the ECU tuning.

View attachment 31412

After installing my EWG control for the JB4 I noticed quicker spool on my 3.3tt, it also hit MUCH harder when boost kicked in. On top of the purposefully sluggish wastegate control, the ECU also modulates the throttle plate to limit boost ramp up. You can see this with datalogging.

So, yes, there is some turbo lag from the hardware of a small 2 liter engine spinning the turbine and compressor. But, a significant portion of this is from software and tuning.
Is 3.3t turbos also twin scroll?

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis G70

View attachment 31412

Not sure if my car has had the TSB reflash, but at this point, in the hot summer weather, I wouldn't call it a major issue. Any improvement will be welcome though.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums