Smaller rims on 17 G80 5.0? Can I?

QuikZ06

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Pretty much as the title states. I know I’m not the only one that’s blown out multiple tires. Never had a car (and I’ve owned a lot of them) blow out so many tires. I know the roads suck, and I try to avoid potholes but damn. I’m to the point where I’m considering getting rid of the car for that reason alone. I like the car, but it’s frustrating. Was thinking maybe if I could go to an 18 inch wheel I could do a little taller sidewall and maybe that would help, or I don’t know if runflats would help? Anyone ever done this, or is there room with the brakes? Anyway, just curious what others have done or think is possible.

PFA...both of my cars wrapped 😎 F9F1D69D-6A62-400E-B590-F623CAD2A6A3.jpeg

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've got the base 2910 G80 with the 3.8 and it has the squared up 18" all around. Based on everything I've read, if I had the 5.0 I personally would try to get back to that setup. The tires are 245/45-18. The 5.0 or 3.3 would smoke a smaller tire off the line... and maybe you're not trying to get to a squared set up... But if you did, you could even cross rotate them. There are some threads on this forum about what wheels will fit the 5.0 and 3.3 G80's. You just need to search a bit.

Beautiful cars, BTW!

Tennexplorer

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Which brands of tires have blown on your car? Have they been total blowouts or sidewall bubbles?

QuikZ06

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I’ve had several I wouldn’t say blowouts, but as soon as I hit a pot hole, I know to pull over. I’ve had bubbles and most just put a hole/tear in them. I’ve replaced the tires with the factory Continental, a few times at close to $300/each. I then tried cheaper since I was buying them often, went with some fallen, then nankang, kuhmo lol you name it. Granted as I mentioned some of the roads I drive on are pretty crappy, I try to avoid potholes, but some are unavoidable. I’m curious if I’d have issues going to a 45 series front from the 245/40/19 and 40 rear from the 275/35/19. I like the 19s because they fill the wheel gap decently. My local tire shop (which I’ve been using for 25 years) laughs when I come in, they know I need a new tire from a pot hole or from burning them off with the vette..

Tennexplorer

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had a sidewall bubble in the right front tire, and then bubbles in both front tires a couple of months afterwards. All were Continentals. They have sidewalls that can best (but probably not technically) be described as "weak". I replaced them seven months ago with Michelins. No problems so far. We have a lot of pot holes too; so will have to see what winter brings.

Origin_G80

CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Plus continentals are known to be very soft. I had 2 sets of 19inch wheels and all 8 tires had bubbles. Try different tires.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Stock 18 inch setup from a 3.8l won't fit. I've tried.
There's a guy on this forum who did a lot of research and fitment and came up with a workable tire size & wheel for a squared up choice for both 18's and 19's in the G80. I'll see if I can find the thread / recommendation. A 2xx/40-18 was one of them.

Origin_G80

CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
There's a guy on this forum who did a lot of research and fitment and came up with a workable tire size & wheel for a squared up choice for both 18's and 19's in the G80. I'll see if I can find the thread / recommendation. A 2xx/40-18 was one of them.
I don't think the tire was the issue. I think it was the brake caliper and the knuckle that was in the way. 5L Genesis has bigger calipers

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
PFA...both of my cars wrapped 😎
F9F1D69D-6A62-400E-B590-F623CAD2A6A3.jpeg
Off topic but you as an owner for zo6 , owning a genesis 5.0 L says a lot. You definitely appreciate the brand. Btw beautiful wrap. But i would try the 3.8 L tire setup , idk though if that size is small for 5.0 L.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums