• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Smart home/car device discussion

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So how many here have jumped on board the "smart home" train?

We currently have several Google minis and a Google Hub and this week I bought a new Echo Show 5 to try out with my bedroom set up. We also have 3 Roku "smart" TV's and 2 WeMo smart plugs.

So far we really enjoy having the option to walk in a room and tell Google (or Alexa) to "Turn on Netflix" or "turn on lights" etc. Also handy when away from home to make the house look lived in.

I also enjoy being able to ask either hub to start my car when it cold/hot outside.

For now I think we are all set and don't plan to do any more upgrades but that could change as prices for different gadgets drop.

So does anyone else utilize smart devices in their home/cars?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Pretty much every light in my house is automated, as are the door locks, garage door, entertainment systems, HVAC, alarm, and so on. I don't use the Amazon or Google hubs/microphones, as I am not so trusting. I have my own local server, so things keep working even if the internet is down. I don't generally (though I can) walk into a room and ask for the lights to come on. They automatically come on and go off based on who is home, where they are, where they came from, and when it is. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Four Echo devices, 1 echo show setup mostly to monitor Ring door camera alerts. Control of two thermostats, six lighting systems and garage door via Echo or cell phone. Six cameras all motion trigger capable accessible and configurable via cell or smart TV (2). Echo Genesis app for G70 and Blue Link app for Santa Fe. “Drives my wife nuts!”.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ring security system and doorbell cam (+ some floodlight cams being added soon) and 2 Nest thermostats (upstairs & downstairs)

I'm sure I'll be the one to automate all the lights in the house at some point and when we get around to switching our garage doors, I'm willing to bet the motor will be replaced for something "smart".

Like @joegr , we don't really trust the stuff with microphones like the Echo and Google home.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We've got a few Amazon and Bose Bluetooth speakers that have Alexa, as well as an Echo Show and a couple of Nests.
I tried the app with Alexa to start the car remotely the other day, but it didn't work for some reason (the app on the phone works). It was just an experiment. I wouldn't use it anyway, since the car is in the garage.
I think the best bang for the buck is the Amazon Fire stick, we have a couple. You can get quite a bit of stuff for free, or with your Netflix and Prime subscriptions. I plan to get YouTube TV soon and ditch my cable service.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The Mrs insists there zero automation upstairs, so I am confined to thermostats, alarm, garage door, external lighting / cameras, all with setup geo fencing and the entire basement including motion sensors as well as the entire home theater complete with mood lighting to suit every occasion with Alexa, google home dotted around the basement..

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums