Smart Trunk Not Closing Completely

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey Everybody. I have a 2016 3.8 ultimate Genny sedan. Lately I’ve been having an issue with my trunk. For the last month or two, I would see an indicator pop up on my middle display like something was open, but it would go away quickly before I could see what it was for. It must have been for the trunk because it will not close completely. The mechanism leaves enough looseness that I now get a trunk open indicator all the time. I can’t even use auto-start because it thinks the trunk is open. Could anyone please help me diagnose and fix this problem? It opens and closes correctly, just not completely closed.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hey Everybody. I have a 2016 3.8 ultimate Genny sedan. Lately I’ve been having an issue with my trunk. For the last month or two, I would see an indicator pop up on my middle display like something was open, but it would go away quickly before I could see what it was for. It must have been for the trunk because it will not close completely. The mechanism leaves enough looseness that I now get a trunk open indicator all the time. I can’t even use auto-start because it thinks the trunk is open. Could anyone please help me diagnose and fix this problem? It opens and closes correctly, just not completely closed.
Does it latch but loosely? Or not latch at all? How much gap? I'm guessing you already went around the edge looking for anything that would obstruct it.

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks EdP. Correct. No obstructions. It latches loosely. How loose, I would guess around 8th of an inch. Enough for the system to indicate an open trunk.

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Does it latch but loosely? Or not latch at all? How much gap? I'm guessing you already went around the edge looking for anything that would obstruct it.
Thanks EdP. Correct. No obstructions. It latches loosely. How loose, I would guess around 8th of an inch. Enough for the system to indicate an open trunk.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just looked at my trunk. When closed it is perfectly flush but can be pushed a tad below, maybe 1/8. Gasket springs it right back.

What I do not see is what senses that the trunk is closed but perhaps someone else will know. If you are closing flush, the sensor may need adjusting. If closing proud of flush, the latch would likely need adjusting.

Hopefully someone with know better than I .

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just looked at my trunk. When closed it is perfectly flush but can be pushed a tad below, maybe 1/8. Gasket springs it right back.

What I do not see is what senses that the trunk is closed but perhaps someone else will know. If you are closing flush, the sensor may need adjusting. If closing proud of flush, the latch would likely need adjusting.

Hopefully someone with know better than I .
Thanks. I'll check both out. And let you know.

TexasGrrl

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rowlett, Texas
Genesis Model Type
I figured out today that the trunk button on my dash will also close my trunk if I push and hold it. Try that to see if it closes it better.

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I figured out today that the trunk button on my dash will also close my trunk if I push and hold it. Try that to see if it closes it better.
Thanks for your post. I use my dash button and the one on the trunk. I think it’s a sensor contact issue.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Have you tried closing it manually? Page 3-52 of the 2015 manual says to close the trunk manually to reset it. This may help if it's not closing fully. If not, a body shop may be able to adjust the latch or sensor.

BillySmalz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Have you tried closing it manually? Page 3-52 of the 2015 manual says to close the trunk manually to reset it. This may help if it's not closing fully. If not, a body shop may be able to adjust the latch or sensor.
Ok. I'll try that

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
as far as I know the "sensor" is a ground loop, like on the doors. closed trunk wherein the latch is engaged completes the ground circuit for the dash light alert.

if the circuit is open then the light is lit. . This is the same way the door and seat belt alerts work.

I would look and see if the green ground wire from the latch to the frame is rusted or damaged, you will need to remove the plastic shroud covering the latch to see this.

could be a loose ground, disconnected ground, damaged wire, or as you say the mechanism is not fully pulling the trunk into full closed position (it is loose), that could be a matter of the latch being physically loose and needing to be reseated, or the mechanism (motor) is failing and doesn't have the strength to fully seat the trunk.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums