Smart Trunk not working

homoerectus

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hello all,

First, thank you all for being the enthusiasts that you are and posting on the forum regarding the car. Lots of posts on here were very helpful in making my decision to pick up a G70 2.0T Sport. Love the car, really enjoying it, :)

Before I hit up the dealer, can anyone help me troubleshoot why my smart trunk won't open? As I approach it with proximity key, there is no beep and obviously, no trunk opening after 3 seconds or so. I checked the settings in the Dash and Smart Trunk is checked off as active. Tried to do a search and wasn't able to see anyone with the same issue.

Another thing, a GEM told me that the manual transmission will still have a engine start function through Genesis Connected Services but looks like it's only available for the automatic models. Bummer, not the end of the world though.

Thank you again, hope I can resolve this with you lovely folks without going to the dealer.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Isn't there an option in the dash menu or the infotainment menu for the Smart Trunk?
I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere!

homoerectus

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No Valet button on the G70 but issue resolved-ish.

I park front end in close to door on the driveway so when I approach the vehicle it senses approach to doors first, pulls out mirrors and that disables the smart trunk sensor?

Took Beefer’s advice and walked on the grass and approached the trunk and viola. I guess I’ll be reverse parking or just using the fob.

Thank you all for your contributions.

P.s even in neutral, no remote start options for the manual. Confirmed in the GCS manual that only available for automatic. The GEM I talked to didn’t know.

Still a great car!

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No Valet button on the G70 but issue resolved-ish.

I park front end in close to door on the driveway so when I approach the vehicle it senses approach to doors first, pulls out mirrors and that disables the smart trunk sensor?

Took Beefer’s advice and walked on the grass and approached the trunk and viola. I guess I’ll be reverse parking or just using the fob.

Thank you all for your contributions.

P.s even in neutral, no remote start options for the manual. Confirmed in the GCS manual that only available for automatic. The GEM I talked to didn’t know.

Still a great car!
Intersted find about the mirrors opening and Smart Trunk disabling. Let me check and will post.

Update: Nope, that does not work like that. I approached to the driver's door, the mirrors went open, continued walking thru the rear and when I was near to the rear bumper the trunk started chiming and opened.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Intersted find about the mirrors opening and Smart Trunk disabling. Let me check and will post.

Update: Nope, that does not work like that. I approached to the driver's door, the mirrors went open, continued walking thru the rear and when I was near to the rear bumper the trunk started chiming and opened.
Same with mine. Doesn't seem to matter where I approach it - still chimes and opens when standing at the rear, as long as all doors are closed and car is locked before approaching.

orogenesis

Oklahoma
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think I read in the manual that G70 "Valet" mode is:
  1. removing the physical key from the fob
  2. Locking the glove box with that key
  3. leaving the fob with the Valet and keeping the physical key on you.
The fob without the key in it will still start the car and unlock the driver door only. Check the manual to be certain, but that's what I recall.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I think I read in the manual that G70 "Valet" mode is:
  1. removing the physical key from the fob
  2. Locking the glove box with that key
  3. leaving the fob with the Valet and keeping the physical key on you.
The fob without the key in it will still start the car and unlock the driver door only. Check the manual to be certain, but that's what I recall.
Pretty sure it will pop the trunk of it has a trunk button on it. Might want to test that theory.

If somehow Genesis linked the physical key to a ground within the fob that disabled the trunk button, that would be pretty cool as people always forget to reset the valet button in the glove box.

But my gut says they didn’t do that.

Satchman

Chicagoland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Before I hit up the dealer, can anyone help me troubleshoot why my smart trunk won't open? As I approach it with proximity key, there is no beep and obviously, no trunk opening after 3 seconds or so. I checked the settings in the Dash and Smart Trunk is checked off as active. Tried to do a search and wasn't able to see anyone with the same issue.
In my testing, i find that the smart trunk does not work if i lock the car from the Lock All button on the inside of the driver's door before i close the door. If i lock the doors using the button on the outside door handle, or using the key fob, then smart trunk works.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.