Smart Trunk opening in the night

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've come out of the house three times in the mornings to find the trunk open. I took it to the dealer and they said the "latch was out of alignment" and ordered a new one.
They installed it yesterday, I was awakened at 3am by Police to tell me my trunk was open again. Anyone have this problem my Smart Trunk is not the one that power closes.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've come out of the house three times in the mornings to find the trunk open. I took it to the dealer and they said the "latch was out of alignment" and ordered a new one.
They installed it yesterday, I was awakened at 3am by Police to tell me my trunk was open again. Anyone have this problem my Smart Trunk is not the one that power closes.
I guess it is possible that the latch is still a problem but I don't think it ever was.

I have heard of stray electronic signals opening cars, garage doors, setting off alarms. First, look at the time it is happening. I'd think a latch would pop at other times of the day, making a turn, turning into a driveway, times that would stress the chassis.

Do you have a neighbor that comes home at 2 AM a d uses a garage opener or the fob for his car? Military plane that passes over during the night and signals a base? I'd even walk your street hitting buttons on your fob to see if any other car near you is affected.

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I've disabled it, again, don't plan to spend the night watching my trunk. Going back to the Dealer tomorrow, they think it's a wiring problem.

ldp82

Registered Member

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The last trip to the Dealer who kept the car for 2 days was that my key fob battery was low. Since this trunk opening only happens during the night and my keys are at least 200 ft. away and the battery was weak I don't belive the problem is fixed. I've turned it off at the dash and will live without this feature. Thanks for the reply.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Make sure you key fob is at least 20 foot away from you car when it's parked. Put it in your bedroom night stand drawer. Do you back in the car into the garage? Just guessing. If so, nose it in.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My car sets in the driveway and I'm guessing something passing by in the night or someones garage door opener or something is causing the problem. I wouldn't be my own as I don't use my garage door openers. It only happens in the middle of the night.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've not had this trunk problem my on 2018 G80, but intrigued by this issue. If you'd like to troubleshoot further please provide the following.
Q1) Does this ONLY happen at the same location (i.e. only at home in the driveway)?
Q2) When this happens does the trunk fully open or just 1 or 2 inches?

Based on information provided, it is highly unlikely it's another key fob/garage opener triggering this. You could rule this out by having the dealer reprogram/reset all of your key fobs/smart key cards.

The technology for the auto trunk is passive (Passive Key Entry and Start-PKES) and is likely the same used for the keyless start. Passive meaning you don't push a button on the key fob. The key fob unlock/lock, Trunk Opening and Alarm is an Active system (Remoteless Key Entry-RKE). This is Active because you have to push a button on the key fob.

In modern vehicles there is a unique key/secret/code for each vehicle and is typically secured using cryptology/rolling code technology. This makes radio frequency interception and replay attacks difficult/time consuming to do.

My current hypothesis are ...
1) Mechanical issue - The trunk latch is barely holding the trunk closed. As the vehicle cools overnight the latch shrinks allowing the trunk latch to release. Also consider, the trunk latch release solenoid or wiring is damaged/malfunctioning. Answers to Q1) and Q2) above will help vet this theory.

2) There is a key fob/smart key card hidden/lost in the trunk (previous did owner this maybe). Verify you have all of the key fobs/smart key card. This is unlikely as it would constantly trigger the trunk opening.

3) Some else has their fob/garage opener programmed using the same secret code as your car. This is accidental/not malicious. This is highly unlikely in modern vehicles. Contingent on number of bits used for encryption there are BILLIONS of possible secret codes.

4) A bored teenage kid has captured your key fob RF signal and cracked/decrypted the secret code. They are being malicious and f@cking with you. This is unlikely in modern vehicles using better encryption and longer keys (more bits), but with enough computing power this can be brute forced/cracked with enough time.

Each manufacturer likely uses proprietary technology and thus it may vary in implementations. I haven't found specific documentation on how Hyundai/Genesis has implemented this yet.

Some reference material follows
Smart key - Wikipedia
Are RFID ignition systems secure?
How Does A Small Device Lock/Unlock A Car From A Distance?
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity16/sec16_paper_garcia.pdf

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This thread is about the Smart Trunk Feature on a G80. It is not for a Toyota Sienna trunk or the G80 parking sensors. Those are different topic and/or technology.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
he said his key is well over 200 feet away.

I still believe that he has a neighbor with a garage door opener or even a car that is on nearly the same if not the same frequency.
Really, I didn't read that. Oh wow missed it or didn't remember it. Thanks and sorry!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Q1) Does this ONLY happen at the same location (i.e. only at home in the driveway)?
Q2) When this happens does the trunk fully open or just 1 or 2 inches?

My current hypothesis are ...
1) Mechanical issue - The trunk latch is barely holding the trunk closed. As the vehicle cools overnight the latch shrinks allowing the trunk latch to release. Also consider, the trunk latch release solenoid or wiring is damaged/malfunctioning. Answers to Q1) and Q2) above will help vet this theory.
If temperature related, it would unlatch as a certain temperature and not securely re-latch. The latch was suspected and replaced.

My money is on a stray signal from another source.

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The problem happens in my driveway at the same place everytime. Because the driveway slants the trunk comes all of the way open. Each event (4 times) happens in the middle of the night (once I was awakened at 3:30am by Police to tell me my trunk was open). I thought I could solve the problem by turning the feature off at the dash, however even with it turned off it opened the last time in the night letting the trunk fill with ice. I now back the car into the driveway and so far it hasn't opened. I'm assuming that someone's electronics probably who comes home in the middle of the night opening the trunk, they probably are not even aware of it.
Changed dealers, taking it in tomorrow, they think it might be a short? First dealer replaced a latch they said was out of alignment, and they checked wiring. I have some other problems that may end up having a bearing on the problem:
Light dimming that works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't dim, Cruise control that floors the pedal when you push reset, and Blue tooth dropping paring. Thanks for the responses.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Based on information provided in this thread, I still think this is a mechanical/wiring issue and not cause by Radio Frequency (RF) interference/malfunction.

For and fun and to support this forum...
With the first person who responds, I'll wager up to $30 from this forums "Store" that this is caused by a mechanical/wiring issue not RF.