aidanbk1

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
Hello,

I drive a 2011 Genesis coupe 2.0t. I recently upgraded my turbo to an ATP Garret bolt on cat/manifold. I was driving it for a couple weeks with no tune, no problem. The turbo had a minor leak from the oil feed so my mechanic tightened it down. He told me since I drove it over there the engine was still hot, so we let it cool down. He then said that he’ll just spray the turbo with the hose to cool it faster. I didn’t think this was too right but allowed him to do so anyway. He fixed the oil leak and I drove her home. The car has been sitting, I daily an integra. I start the genesis every few days to notice white smoke coming from the exhaust. As well as vibrating sounds coming from the engine bay which I assume is the turbo.I’m thinking it may be a blown head gasket due to the excessive water coming out the tail pipes. I will do a compression and leak test soon. Any advice helps, thanks a lot.

Aidan Williams

Attachments

• CBA3FD5A-EBA1-49B4-9753-BE3986D3CCD1.jpeg
    CBA3FD5A-EBA1-49B4-9753-BE3986D3CCD1.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3F774AB5-E971-4B5F-99BC-01C25707A50E.jpeg
    3F774AB5-E971-4B5F-99BC-01C25707A50E.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 9CE60AA8-07F0-42B7-9650-0E296746FBA2.jpeg
    9CE60AA8-07F0-42B7-9650-0E296746FBA2.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 10

aidanbk1

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
Hello,

I drive a 2011 Genesis coupe 2.0t. I recently upgraded my turbo to an ATP Garret bolt on cat/manifold. I was driving it for a couple weeks with no tune, no problem. The turbo had a minor leak from the oil feed so my mechanic tightened it down. He told me since I drove it over there the engine was still hot, so we let it cool down. He then said that he’ll just spray the turbo with the hose to cool it faster. I didn’t think this was too right but allowed him to do so anyway. He fixed the oil leak and I drove her home. The car has been sitting, I daily an integra. I start the genesis every few days to notice white smoke coming from the exhaust. As well as vibrating sounds coming from the engine bay which I assume is the turbo.I’m thinking it may be a blown head gasket due to the excessive water coming out the tail pipes. I will do a compression and leak test soon. Any advice helps, thanks a lot.

Aidan Williams

forgot to mention there isn’t a lot of smoke, only a little bit. If I rev the engine more comes out.

SledXDOMI

Genesis Model Type
Genesis Coupe
hey buddy, i dont know if you got it figgured out yet,

from my expirience with hot metals more then turbos, when you cool metal down rapidly (like spraying water on a hot turbo) it becomes permanantly brittle and more prone to cracking/failure

moral of the story... never go see that mechanic again

hope this helps

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hello,

Aidan Williams
That's the absolute worst thing your "mechanic " could have done was spray it with cold water. I would not go back to him ever again after the fool handed move!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums