snow tires

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
Just an FYI, tirerack is now reporting they know the tires/rims which work for the v-8 sedan, Should make it easier to get snows this year, it was a real pain last year.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Just an FYI, tirerack is now reporting they know the tires/rims which work for the v-8 sedan, Should make it easier to get snows this year, it was a real pain last year.

I'm just glad that I'll be driving my other car this next winter. Genesis is not fun in the snow at ALL! Dangerous:eek:

Either way, it is a car well enjoyed in the spring, summer, and fall months anyway.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
I sometimes am called to go North to Penfield (Rochester - family emergencys) in the middle of winter. Even though the V8 has "Posi-traction", I will take the Continental.
I have not driven a RWD in the snow and slop in years.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
I'm just glad that I'll be driving my other car this next winter. Genesis is not fun in the snow at ALL! Dangerous:eek:

Either way, it is a car well enjoyed in the spring, summer, and fall months anyway.

On the stock tires I would agree, but the stock tires are NOT designed for heavy snow use. For those of us that live in the great white north, dedicated winter tires are a must. I drove on the stock tires on 1/2" of snow and couldn't get out of my driveway. No problems at all with blizaks

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota

C'mon now, Scott. Let's not be propogating the myth that Genesis (or any other RWD car, for that matter) is undriveable in the winter. As long as you install snow tires (and utilize common sense insofar as acceleration, braking, etc.), there's no reason to leave your Genesis in the garage in the winter.

People have become so conditioned to FWD/AWD as a prerequisite for winter driving, particularly those under 45 - 50 who don't remember the days when RWD was pretty much the only drive system out there.

Wally's right...the stock Dunlops should never touch snow, but there are any number of reasonably-priced snow tires that will enable your RWD car to perform competently in virtually all weather conditions.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
In support of Musher51, My friends in FWD/AWD configurations leave their all seasons on in the winter, have more trouble than I do in the Genesis with dedicated snows. Tires make a HUGE! difference in traction...

Tirerack (not a plug) has a pretty good comparo between all season, summer tires, and winter tire traction. The test is using the same car, and same driver. the results are dramatic

This link is of good use

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
C'mon now, Scott. Let's not be propogating the myth that Genesis (or any other RWD car, for that matter) is undriveable in the winter. As long as you install snow tires (and utilize common sense insofar as acceleration, braking, etc.), there's no reason to leave your Genesis in the garage in the winter.

People have become so conditioned to FWD/AWD as a prerequisite for winter driving, particularly those under 45 - 50 who don't remember the days when RWD was pretty much the only drive system out there.

Wally's right...the stock Dunlops should never touch snow, but there are any number of reasonably-priced snow tires that will enable your RWD car to perform competently in virtually all weather conditions.
This dude is totally right. The majority of times RWD is the right way to have the car set up. The amount of weight you are lugging around in an AWD system does not make sense considering how many times you actually truly need it. We need to adopt Euro standards. Dedicated winter tires. Remember, in snow doesn't matter what the drivetrain set up is,that's not helping you stop any better, tires are MUCH more important.

mongo

Getting familiar with the group...
CT
Do you guys keep the snows on a second set of rims or do you swap them off the rims seasonally?

I have stock 235/50R18's on my 4.6, I'd almost be inclined to get a set of 17" rims for winter tires.

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
Do you guys keep the snows on a second set of rims or do you swap them off the rims seasonally?

I have stock 235/50R18's on my 4.6, I'd almost be inclined to get a set of 17" rims for winter tires.
that's the proper way to do it in my mind, that way, you're not worried getting your nice rims all banged up from salt,mud, and abuse and neglect in the winter, as most of us are probably less inclined to wash our cars when it's nasty out. I would get a pair of steel wheels on the cheap and go down to the 17 inch size on the base V6.
Wheel size: 6.5X17
Tire Size: 215/60 R17

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
that's the proper way to do it in my mind, that way, you're not worried getting your nice rims all banged up from salt,mud, and abuse and neglect in the winter, as most of us are probably less inclined to wash our cars when it's nasty out. I would get a pair of steel wheels on the cheap and go down to the 17 inch size on the base V6.

I always buy a dedicated set of wheels for my snow tires, largely because my motorhead buddies convinced me long ago that it's undesirable to unmount/remount tires frequently.

As for how much you spend, cheap steel wheels will certainly cap your investment, but bear in mind that you'll be looking at those wheels anywhere from a third to half of the year (a solid 50% for me, anyway, as I rarely have my winter wheels on for <6 months). I'm just not willing to look at crappy wheels half the year, and since I tend to drive cars for 8 - 10 years, it's pretty easy to justify spending a couple hundred per wheel.

BTW, even though I have the 18" wheels, I intentionally chose to run 17"s (225/55R17) in the winter for better traction.

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
Yeah, you're in MN, winter is 6 months for you. I can imagine that looking at cheap steel wheels for half the year would get old. Your motorhead buddies are right.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
I like the change of rims,, I run the stock rims in the summer and a nice set of black spokes in the winter... and like you I run the snows from Oct til late april

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota

The main reason I am going to store the car in the winter is not just because of the stock tire which I would get a 2nd set if I was going for winter driving. It's also nice to keep the miles down so I don't end up putting 30,000 miles a year on it like I did in my Elantra.

Personally, it's not a fun car to drive in the winter just how a Lambo etc. has a high fun factor when only driven periodically, such as weekends.

That's the reason for me, without a question. I'm not going to enjoy the Genesis to the max unless it's spring, summer, or fall. Yes, ok I know the Twin Cities doesn't receive much snow anymore (like in the early 90's and back), but I enjoy this car with the windows down and 60-100 degree temps.
Keep in mind, I'm not disagreeing with you guys about the Genesis being good in the winter with the ESC and a good set of tires. I agree with you totally.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
All good points, and to be fair, on the worst days I just work from home rather than braving the snow...

Nabber

Been here awhile...
So, are you guys buying four rims and four snow tires?

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
The main reason I am going to store the car in the winter is not just because of the stock tire which I would get a 2nd set if I was going for winter driving. It's also nice to keep the miles down so I don't end up putting 30,000 miles a year on it like I did in my Elantra.

Personally, it's not a fun car to drive in the winter just how a Lambo etc. has a high fun factor when only driven periodically, such as weekends.

That's the reason for me, without a question. I'm not going to enjoy the Genesis to the max unless it's spring, summer, or fall. Yes, ok I know the Twin Cities doesn't receive much snow anymore (like in the early 90's and back), but I enjoy this car with the windows down and 60-100 degree temps.
Keep in mind, I'm not disagreeing with you guys about the Genesis being good in the winter with the ESC and a good set of tires. I agree with you totally.

Parking any given car in the winter to keep the miles down -- or even to limit winter-related damage (salt, etc.) --is certainly a legitimate choice. I was only challenging the use of the word "dangerous" in your earlier post, as I don't believe RWD is intrinsically more dangerous than any other drive system. If you're in a position to park your Genesis in the winters, it will surely look better than mine a few years from now!

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
So, are you guys buying four rims and four snow tires?

Already did,

Fronts so I can steer, rears so I can move. I live in MN, we get snow 5-6 months of the year.

while the rims are an added expense the tires really aren't

I need tires either way, by having two sets my "summer" tires last twice as long...

My rims were only 580$ for the set....

mongo

Getting familiar with the group...
CT

Excellent. I appreciate that specific advice.

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
I swap mine at home.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners