So i took off my manifold and cleaned the intake valves on my 5.0

Amgil

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Couldn’t find any threads of people doing this so I figured id document it and warn anyone who’s thinking about doing this.

This is my 2015 5.0 @ 70k miles, car felt a little sluggish and like it was misfiring when cold so i decided to pop the manifold off and check how bad the carbon was, to my surprise it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, but it was still pretty bad.

9D560834-9FD0-419F-9DCA-3BB9201C4A0E.jpeg
4033CAD2-BBA5-42A0-95EA-4DE94A028087.jpeg

I always see people talk about how using seafoam or CRC will clean them, well let me save you some money and tell you that nothing you spray into your intake will take this carbon off because that stuff is baked on those valves and plus how the manifold is shaped. The only real way to get your valves clean is taking the manifold off and doing it by hand or walnut blasting them. I decided to take the doing it by hand route and it was a pain in the a$$.

Even after i took the manifold off and sprayed and let the valves soak in a puddle of crc and then brake clean, it was still difficult to scrape the carbon off. I should of bought a media blaster.

It was also a HUGE pain to get the manifold off its not just pop a few bolts off and its off, there is multiple bolts, hoses, and electrical connectors behind the manifold that are extremely difficult to get to because they are hugged right next to the firewall tucked down behind a wire harness housing that cant be removed without basically taking the whole car apart, and the bolts are behind all this facing towards the intake so its at an extremely awkward angle and there is zero room to work with it. Even using magnet sticks i dropped several bolts and nuts and had to fish them out….

I did manage to get the job done but it was a all day job and my hands and arms look like I got into a fight with a cat. I would definitely not do it again, im going to slap a catch can on and call it a day.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Any after pictures? Yeah a catch can is a no-brainer on these GDI engines. I'm amazed, given how little I drive my RSpec how much oil I catch.

Until they follow some of the other mfgrs and put an extra injector to wash the outside of the valves it's an easy way to keep blow-by from getting to the back of the valves.

Amgil

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Any after pictures? Yeah a catch can is a no-brainer on these GDI engines. I'm amazed, given how little I drive my RSpec how much oil I catch.

Until they follow some of the other mfgrs and put an extra injector to wash the outside of the valves it's an easy way to keep blow-by from getting to the back of the valves.
I believe it man, when i first got the throttle body off I couldn’t believe how much oil was pooled inside the manifold! There had to be atleast half a cup!

Unfortunately i forgot to take after pictures though. when i finally finished it was dark outside and 50 degrees so i just wanted to finish and go inside and warm up. I wasn’t even thinking, sorry about that.

Here is another picture though that for some reason didn’t show up on my first post

9F69D174-FA2C-4372-93BF-BE29EAD8D175.jpeg

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for posting this. You tackled a tough one... that's a lot of work. Those valves looked awful. I put a catch can on around 40K and I'm surprised how much gunk it traps. I wonder if there's any way to get a borescope into the manifold to take a look?

Amgil

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for posting this. You tackled a tough one... that's a lot of work. Those valves looked awful. I put a catch can on around 40K and I'm surprised how much gunk it traps. I wonder if there's any way to get a borescope into the manifold to take a look?
I think you could, just disconnect the throttle body , its easy only 4 bolts. The air chutes are at the top of the manifold

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Catch can is almost a must these days. Will add one after the warranty is up. As for the buildup, I'll pay the extra for the walnut blast.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners