So you want wireless carplay in your carplay enabled Genesis.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
well it might be possible.

while doing some searching about adding QI charging to the 2015-2016 Genesis per ntmehan thread on the matter, I came across something rather interesting:

CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay + wired Android Auto

Seems it was just released about a month ago.

says it supports 2015-2020 Hyundai Vehicles, I emailed them and they said yes it should support the Genesis as well as they use the same OS as Hyundai.

So I am going to be the guinea pig here and I bought the unit, As I understand it, this creates an ad-hoc wifi network from the iPhone to the device, the device then transmits over the built in USB to activate CarPlay.

Essentially you plug this in, marry it to your phone and every time you start your car, it connects. Apple Designed Wireless Carplay to use BT to trigger the Wifi to Carplay, and that is what this is doing. It works on any vehicle that already has CarPlay as an OEM wired usb feature.

Last edited:

rcd123

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Any idea if this also applies to android auto and a android phone?

Scamp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well thank you for being the first to try it out for us!

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Any idea if this also applies to android auto and a android phone?

they said that it does not provide wireless android auto, But for cars like toyota and Lexus that only have OEM CarPlay and not android auto, it will provide wired android auto on those vehicles.

JankenPo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sweet! Think I'll guinea pig this one as well. Although most of time my phone is plugged in to charge anyway but this is cool for quick trips where I don't really need to charge it.

dstilsonmoa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
well it might be possible.

while doing some searching about adding QI charging to the 2015-2016 Genesis per ntmehan thread on the matter, I came across something rather interesting:

CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay + wired Android Auto

Seems it was just released about a month ago.

says it supports 2015-2020 Hyundai Vehicles, I emailed them and they said yes it should support the Genesis as well as they use the same OS as Hyundai.

So I am going to be the guinea pig here and I bought the unit, As I understand it, this creates an ad-hoc wifi network from the iPhone to the device, the device then transmits over the built in USB to activate CarPlay.

Essentially you plug this in, marry it to your phone and every time you start your car, it connects. Apple Designed Wireless Carplay to use BT to trigger the Wifi to Carplay, and that is what this is doing. It works on any vehicle that already has CarPlay as an OEM wired usb feature.
Excited about this! Please let us know how it works!

Thanks!

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm a guinea pig. Guy at work let me borrow his unit, and it works flawlessly. So I ordered my own. It will be here in a couple weeks.

He did say to order a very specific unit, though; apparently not all on Amazon will work on every car.

There's a split second of lag switching between songs and apps, but it's hardly noticeable. I've had my phone on the charger and it charges just fine. It even displays the battery level on the dash screen. I can also close the compartment door flush with the dongle and phone inside. Oh, and this works on my iPhone Apple CarPlay, so I can't confirm for Android Auto.

Don't forget to click that $20 coupon, and it still ain't cheap...

The buyer will reach out and ask if you're sure it works. I suppose you won't REALLY know until I test my unit in a couple of weeks, though it should be the exact same one in this video, which I tested myself. Tell the seller Rui sent you.

IMG_0837.PNG

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@Mr. Incredible Have you tried it in your g80 yet?

haven't received it yet.. the company contacted me and asked if I would be willing to test and review it for them for the Genesis G80 so they could "officially" promote it working in their documentation.

They are sending me the unit and some testing equipment to log the results. shipping tracking says I will receive it on the 25th.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
For the hell of it, I just went ahead ordered one to confirm that it works on the 2015 5.0, couple of days ago. That way we can confirm it works across the entire G2 line (older touch only, but may throw in the Mrs Ultimate to see what happens :sneaky:).

While I was at it, I also ordered a Qi pad for wireless charging to see if I can find a neat way of hitting two birds with one stone.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
For the hell of it, I just went ahead ordered one to confirm that it works on the 2015 5.0, couple of days ago. That way we can confirm it works across the entire G2 line (older touch only, but may throw in the Mrs Ultimate to see what happens :sneaky:).

While I was at it, I also ordered a Qi pad for wireless charging to see if I can find a neat way of hitting two birds with one stone.

you understand it does not give you carplay right? your HU has to already have Carplay built in, this makes wired carplay wireless, that is all.

if you don't already have Carplay (2015 Ultimate does not) it will NOT add carplay.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
if you don't already have Carplay (2015 Ultimate does not) it will NOT add carplay.

Indeed, thank you.... My 2015 5.0 is Tech, so I know it works, since I use car play everyday.

The other 3.8 2016 Ultimate that I have, would be the fun one to see what would happen, if anything...

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Now I'm a bit confused... How does one determine IF his vehicle HAS CarPlay. I can't assume anything based on USA vehicles since mine is a Canadian version. Any suggestions on how I can see if my car has this feature??

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Indeed, thank you.... My 2015 5.0 is Tech, so I know it works, since I use car play everyday.

The other 3.8 2016 Ultimate that I have, would be the fun one to see what would happen, if anything...
ok I was confused, didn't realize you had 2 Genesis'

Now I'm a bit confused... How does one determine IF his vehicle HAS CarPlay. I can't assume anything based on USA vehicles since mine is a Canadian version. Any suggestions on how I can see if my car has this feature??

pre-2018 Carplay is only available on vehicles with the basic radio, no jog dial, 8" screen (Typically the Ultimate models)

post-2018 Carplay is standard on all trim levels.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
so I received it last night.

took under 5 minutes to marry it to the car.

process:

First, your phone must already be married to the car for Carplay, if not marry it through the wired connection first.. if it is not setup the iPhone will not connect to Carplay after it connects to the device.

1. start car. wait for the HU to fully boot and click the "confirm" to get into the menu
  2. insert the device into the carplay USB, wait for it to power on.
  3. go to HU menu and choose Carplay. the unit will display "Connecting" on the screen
  4. Connect your phone Bluetooth to the device, enter the pair code 0000
  5. the phone will ask if you want to use the device for carplay, trust it and agree
  6. phone will flip to the adhoc Wi-Fi and carplay will load on the HU.

overall it is a decent option for wireless carplay. it does have some glitches.

• first, if your phone is connected to another wi-fi (your house for instance), it will not switch over to the adhoc until you are out of range of the other wi-fi.

In my case i was connected to my home wi-fi which reaches about 300 feet down my street, so it didn't flip to the carplay unit until I was down the street.

• second, there is a 1-2 second delay between the time you use a steering control to skip a song, when wired this was instant, with this unit there is a delay from the time you press the button and the phone responds, if you are trying to skip multiple songs then there is a longer delay.

• third, in the G80 there isn't enough room for the device and my iphone XS MAX in the qi charging cubby. I have to pull out the unit then place the phone, then set the unit on the phone.

I am going to look for a USB extension and relocate the unit, probably to the glove box.

• Lastly. the unit needs to be secure, I will probably use some double sided tape. I discovered when it bounces the signal goes wonky, , I was getting some static when I was driving down a really crappy street and it was vibrating, as soon as I touched it the static stopped.

I'm guessing based on the weight of the unit and the short cord, it is vibrating the USB connection while in the port.

Last edited:

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
so I received it last night.

took under 5 minutes to marry it to the car.

process:

First, your phone must already be married to the car for Carplay, if not marry it through the wired connection first.. if it is not setup the iPhone will not connect to Carplay after it connects to the device.

1. start car. wait for the HU to fully boot and click the "confirm" to get into the menu
  2. insert the device into the carplay USB, wait for it to power on.
  3. go to HU menu and choose Carplay. the unit will display "Connecting" on the screen
  4. Connect your phone Bluetooth to the device, enter the pair code 0000
  5. the phone will ask if you want to use the device for carplay, trust it and agree
  6. phone will flip to the adhoc Wi-Fi and carplay will load on the HU.

overall it is a decent option for wireless carplay. it does have some glitches.

• first, if your phone is connected to another wi-fi (your house for instance), it will not switch over to the adhoc until you are out of range of the other wi-fi.

In my case i was connected to my home wi-fi which reaches about 300 feet down my street, so it didn't flip to the carplay unit until I was down the street.

• second, there is a 1-2 second delay between the time you use a steering control to skip a song, when wired this was instant, with this unit there is a delay from the time you press the button and the phone responds, if you are trying to skip multiple songs then there is a longer delay.

• third, in the G80 there isn't enough room for the device and my iphone XS MAX in the qi charging cubby. I have to pull out the unit then place the phone, then set the unit on the phone.

I am going to look for a USB extension and relocate the unit, probably to the glove box.

• Lastly. the unit needs to be secure, I will probably use some double sided tape. I discovered when it bounces the signal goes wonky, , I was getting some static when I was driving down a really crappy street and it was vibrating, as soon as I touched it the static stopped.

I'm guessing based on the weight of the unit and the short cord, it is vibrating the USB connection while in the port.
Can you post a link to the specific model you tested?

Thanks for the review.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums