So you want wireless carplay in your carplay enabled Genesis.

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ah my mistake. I got your post mixed up with one further down in the thread. Thank you

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ah my mistake. I got your post mixed up with one further down in the thread. Thank you
No worries.
I’m happy with the unit. Seems to work pretty well.

only complaint is the delay is switching from my house WiFi to the ad hoc. It does do it automatically but only once I am out of range of the house (or office). So about 1/2 city block or so before it kicks over.

not a big deal considering what is gained.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if this is the best posting spot but appears some very knowledgeable CarPlay folks are here. My iPhone is paired to my G70 just fine for CarPlay using a USB apple cord. The issue I have is only the last song played or is currently showing on my phone plays thru CarPlay. I cannot figure out how to use the nav screen display to switch songs. If I hit next, nothing happens. If I manually change songs on my phone then the nav display changes songs just fine. I had to re-set my info system the other day per Genesis Connection folks to get my remote function and cell cummication to start working. Before that I think my CarPlay was fine and I could switch songs just fine and see all songs, artist and such via the nav screen ok. Not sure how to fix this issue? Ideas?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure if this is the best posting spot but appears some very knowledgeable CarPlay folks are here. My iPhone is paired to my G70 just fine for CarPlay using a USB apple cord. The issue I have is only the last song played or is currently showing on my phone plays thru CarPlay. I cannot figure out how to use the nav screen display to switch songs. If I hit next, nothing happens. If I manually change songs on my phone then the nav display changes songs just fine. I had to re-set my info system the other day per Genesis Connection folks to get my remote function and cell cummication to start working. Before that I think my CarPlay was fine and I could switch songs just fine and see all songs, artist and such via the nav screen ok. Not sure how to fix this issue? Ideas?

what version of iOS?

on the G80 the next/previous function on carplay work fine using the touch screen or the jog dial. Though the jog dial is annoying with the new iOS 13 as you have to go right to get to the play menu they scroll back left to select the items.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
what version of iOS?

on the G80 the next/previous function on carplay work fine using the touch screen or the jog dial. Though the jog dial is annoying with the new iOS 13 as you have to go right to get to the play menu they scroll back left to select the items.
I’m one of those if it an’t broke, don’t fix it. My iPhone is like 11.3. I have a work related app that pulls my work email down securely and gives me access to my work server. That app at one time did not like any of the IOS 12 versions so I’m behind on OS updates. I’ve not played with all the steering wheel controls yet outside of just switching the stations. Just know the touchscreen will not allow me to switch CarPlay songs with the ‘next’pick.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm guessing it is your iOS version.

do the steering controls allow you to go to the next song.. completely forgot about those. they should work as well.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm guessing it is your iOS version.

do the steering controls allow you to go to the next song.. completely forgot about those. they should work as well.
Could be? I’ll have to play around more. May borrow my teenagers iPhone for he always keeps that SOB updated on everything and see how his works on the car with CarPlay? I’ll put ear plugs in for his music and mine are planets away. I’m hoping the OS is not it for don’t really want to update the phone unless forced to.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Could be? I’ll have to play around more. May borrow my teenagers iPhone for he always keeps that SOB updated on everything and see how his works on the car with CarPlay? I’ll put ear plugs in for his music and mine are planets away. I’m hoping the OS is not it for don’t really want to update the phone unless forced to.

IOS controls all aspects of Carplay, the HU in the car is just an mirrored image of the data iOS is pumping through..

while the steering controls and jog dial are functions of the HU, they are using commands from iOS.

iOS 13 offers a great many enhancements to Carplay as well, split screen (map and music), it is now a separate app on the phone so you can interact with the phone with carplay on and the map and music stay on the screen.

IMO the Carplay in iOS 13 is what Carplay should have been from the start, there are still a few enhancements I want to see with it, but overall it is far superior to the CP of iOS 11

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
IOS controls all aspects of Carplay, the HU in the car is just an mirrored image of the data iOS is pumping through..

while the steering controls and jog dial are functions of the HU, they are using commands from iOS.

iOS 13 offers a great many enhancements to Carplay as well, split screen (map and music), it is now a separate app on the phone so you can interact with the phone with carplay on and the map and music stay on the screen.

IMO the Carplay in iOS 13 is what Carplay should have been from the start, there are still a few enhancements I want to see with it, but overall it is far superior to the CP of iOS 11
Thanks. I’ll have to try it out with an update. Just need to make sure my Mobile iron that supports my connection to work items will be ok with an update. My IT guys will be able to tell me.

Genesis2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. I’ll have to try it out with an update. Just need to make sure my Mobile iron that supports my connection to work items will be ok with an update. My IT guys will be able to tell me.
Yes iOS 13 updates CarPlay significantly better especially Map in my opinion. Music navigation is matching iPhone Music app category also. I like to hit Up Next to see what’s in the song list I’m playing currently.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes iOS 13 updates CarPlay significantly better especially Map in my opinion. Music navigation is matching iPhone Music app category also. I like to hit Up Next to see what’s in the song list I’m playing currently.
I tried my sons iPhone with latest IOS and my steering wheel control to change songs worked fine. System must not like my 11.3 IOS to give me all the controls. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
New firmware released for the device and it seems to have fixed the several issues I had.

liking it more and more.

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Finally got mine and have used it for a few days. It's connected to an iPhone 11 Pro.

Setup was easy. If you can connect blue tooth devices to each other you've got this.

Texting worked just fine. There's a bit of a delay as the system is working but I don't think it's any worse than when it's wired in.

Changing songs is a very noticeable delay. Regardless of whether I use the screen or the steering toggle I can see the song change on the screen and a second or two later the song changes.

Receiving phone calls is just fine. I was worried there would be a delay in the conversation but it's no worse than any other blue tooth connected device I've used. The big drawback is when I use a command to make a call it doesn't go through. This happens if I use the button on the steering wheel or if I use the microphone button on the screen to activate Siri. The screen says it's calling my contact but when they answer we are unable to hear each other. If my contact calls me I can answer the call with no problem. If I use the screen to go to my Phone then Contacts and select that contact it makes the call with no problem. I've been trouble shooting it but I haven't discovered anything just yet that would cause the system to do that.

I like to use Waze as my navigation and it also worked just fine.

Not being able to make phone calls is an issue. It will be interesting to see what happens with the unit when I try it out in our Palisade. I don't make too many calls in my car and when I do I can use the recent calls list. That doesn't excuse that it doesn't work but I've not heard of anyone else having issues so if it doesn't work in the Palisade maybe a simple exchange will work.

Likes: Doesn't have to be connected to a wire and charge when I don't want the phone charged. I can utilize the wireless charger for myself or a passenger and still use CarPlay without wires all over the passenger compartment.

Dislikes: Not being able to use a voice command to make a call - probably a faulty device. The delay in song changes, but again that's not too bad. Initial connection can take a while but that seems to be speeding up. Maybe as the devices learn each other?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Finally got mine and have used it for a few days. It's connected to an iPhone 11 Pro.

Setup was easy. If you can connect blue tooth devices to each other you've got this.

Texting worked just fine. There's a bit of a delay as the system is working but I don't think it's any worse than when it's wired in.

Changing songs is a very noticeable delay. Regardless of whether I use the screen or the steering toggle I can see the song change on the screen and a second or two later the song changes.

Receiving phone calls is just fine. I was worried there would be a delay in the conversation but it's no worse than any other blue tooth connected device I've used. The big drawback is when I use a command to make a call it doesn't go through. This happens if I use the button on the steering wheel or if I use the microphone button on the screen to activate Siri. The screen says it's calling my contact but when they answer we are unable to hear each other. If my contact calls me I can answer the call with no problem. If I use the screen to go to my Phone then Contacts and select that contact it makes the call with no problem. I've been trouble shooting it but I haven't discovered anything just yet that would cause the system to do that.

I like to use Waze as my navigation and it also worked just fine.

Not being able to make phone calls is an issue. It will be interesting to see what happens with the unit when I try it out in our Palisade. I don't make too many calls in my car and when I do I can use the recent calls list. That doesn't excuse that it doesn't work but I've not heard of anyone else having issues so if it doesn't work in the Palisade maybe a simple exchange will work.

Likes: Doesn't have to be connected to a wire and charge when I don't want the phone charged. I can utilize the wireless charger for myself or a passenger and still use CarPlay without wires all over the passenger compartment.

Dislikes: Not being able to use a voice command to make a call - probably a faulty device. The delay in song changes, but again that's not too bad. Initial connection can take a while but that seems to be speeding up. Maybe as the devices learn each other?

have you updated the firmware that was released last weekend. it corrected this issues with my 10 x max.

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
have you updated the firmware that was released last weekend. it corrected this issues with my 10 x max.

I saw your post and meant to ask if you meant the phone or the CarPlay device. My phone is up to date to iOS 13.3. I did not see a way to update the CPlay2air.

Edit/Update: I see how to do a firmware update for the CPlay2air. They email it so I've contacted support and requested it.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I saw your post and meant to ask if you meant the phone or the CarPlay device. My phone is up to date to iOS 13.3. I did not see a way to update the CPlay2air.

Edit/Update: I see how to do a firmware update for the CPlay2air. They email it so I've contacted support and requested it.
Shoot me an email address and I can forward the email with the link and instructions

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Updated the firmware earlier today, it seems to have corrected tons of problems (using 2015), with iPhone XS iOS 13.3.
Waze, Siri, having phone pad is handy, delay seems to be better than the original firmware, however more testing is required.
Having a wireless none slip charging pad on top of the sliding door, with hardly any visible cable is just the cherry on top, for this new setup.

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Great news on the update correcting the voice command phone calls. That would have been a tough pill for me to swallow and I want this thing mainly because I use Waze all the time and hate having to plug it in to use it. I plan to pull the trigger at some point this month.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums