So you want wireless carplay in your carplay enabled Genesis.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I got the CarPlay2air, beside the slight calls audio delay (400-700ms) , in my case it meets most of my needs.

DkHelmet

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Southeast PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just got one and it doesn't do a damn thing when plugged in. Nothing shows up on the head unit. Is there a set of instructions anywhere? The website is astonishingly quiet.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I just got one and it doesn't do a damn thing when plugged in. Nothing shows up on the head unit. Is there a set of instructions anywhere? The website is astonishingly quiet.
- Must have previously used car play.
- Switch the vehicle off
- Plug the unit in.
- Start the car
- Wait for at least 3 minutes.
- don’t touch any head unit controls
- The device should have One tiny solid blue led.
- On thé phone start CarPlay configuration (AutoBox).

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

didn’t it come with instructions? Carplay2air (can’t speak to the Amazon version)

follow the instructions I posted earlier in the thread.

if you need the firmware send me a pm, since I was beta testing for the company for Genesis I have the latest production build if your device is older.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My Carlinkit worked great for the first 3 weeks, then the rear speakers started hissing. I just updated the firmware on the unit today (which was surprisingly easy) and now it's perfect again. No complaints! Slight lag switching songs and when you first get in the car (it takes 30 seconds or so to sync), but it's nice to just get in the car with the phone in my pocket and off I go with carplay. I have to wait 30 seconds before my camera switches from park mode anyway :)

No wires is a nice convenience. First world problems, yes...

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ordered the Carplay2air device today. I'm really excited about the prospect of not having to plug the phone in all the time.

I'm hoping that any updates that are needed or released are communicated well and easy to do. 🤞

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ordered the Carplay2air device today. I'm really excited about the prospect of not having to plug the phone in all the time.

I'm hoping that any updates that are needed or released are communicated well and easy to do. 🤞
Well I wouldn’t say they are communicated well, but they are easy to do.

they send an email notice of new firmware, just be sure their email address is whitelisted as it will get spam flagged from most email services.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Ok, so this slightly off topic, but a very nice feature addition which was made possible by the wireless air play, that I felt was missing on 2015 5.0.
There are many iPhone HUD like options, however using the licensed Sygic GPS, you can use the head unit to display the map (which in may ways provides a far superior 3D rendering to waze), while iPhone is placed on top of the dashboard displaying the HUD projected on the windshield. This setup along with the wireless charging have made the cockpit completely cable free, as well as, adding unexpected functionality.
I will post some pictures when time permits...

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well I wouldn’t say they are communicated well, but they are easy to do.

they send an email notice of new firmware, just be sure their email address is whitelisted as it will get spam flagged from most email services.
I should be getting mine tomorrow. Is there a way to check and see if the dongle that I get is already up to date? And if there is, and the dongle isn’t up to date, do I need to contact the company?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I should be getting mine tomorrow. Is there a way to check and see if the dongle that I get is already up to date? And if there is, and the dongle isn’t up to date, do I need to contact the company?

they emailed me as the firmware updates were being released, if you ordered after thanksgiving then it should be up to date as that was the last firmware release and their message said all units shipping after November 28 would have the new update.

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
they emailed me as the firmware updates were being released, if you ordered after thanksgiving then it should be up to date as that was the last firmware release and their message said all units shipping after November 28 would have the new update.
Perfect thanks

DkHelmet

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Southeast PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I don't think this thing is any more special than Carlinkits, which are $60 on Amazon. The CarPlay2Air box even has an inspection card in it from Carlinkit.

So far I managed to get it to work with my 2020 with some patience, but it's not able to reliably play music through Spotify or Pandora and run a map. The audio glitches out and the video occasionally collapses. Neat idea, but I think they're overcharging by about $100. It's the same android pairing app that's loaded natively on bootstrap as the Carlinkits. :/

I'll be getting a refund.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hmm, Amazon indeed has the original Carlinkits version that requires APK installation (which requires an unlocked Android head unit) for $89, they do have V2 which works with specific models such Porsche, MB and sonata 2.0T, for $149 without any additional software modification.
Sorry to see that it did not work for you, perhaps you have a faulty unit or maybe there are additional incompatibility issues with the 2020 head unit.

je2345

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just ordered one this morning and as I’m layin in bed now I thought to myself “I should check this genesis forum” as I’ve been here everyday since I recently purchased my 16’ Genesis 3.8AWD two weeks ago. Glad to see the interest here and few reviews already. Will report back when I receive mine.

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Received the carplay2air yesterday. Set up was super easy. Tested the buttons on the steering wheel, including voice control and seems to be working as it would when wired. Haven’t tried calling someone with it yet. If takes about 30 secs to connect which is nothing.

there was an update that needed to be done but that was super easy. Hoping that there won’t be any issues as I continue to use it.

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Using the carplay2air most of this morning, it works fine expect for a couple things. The lag when changing songs (using Spotify) is really noticeable (0.5-1 second) and not being able to fast forward a song using the steering controls. It works with the regular wired connection. You can’t fast forward a song using the head unit screen.

The software is up to date. Hoping that these issues are fixed with future updates

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Using the carplay2air most of this morning, it works fine expect for a couple things. The lag when changing songs (using Spotify) is really noticeable (0.5-1 second) and not being able to fast forward a song using the steering controls. It works with the regular wired connection. You can’t fast forward a song using the head unit screen.

The software is up to date. Hoping that these issues are fixed with future updates

yeah I noted the lag in my review, FWIW the same lag exits when I Airplay from iPhone to my AppleTV.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you keep the dongle plugged in when not in use? Wondering if there is a chance of it draining the battery, since the USB is always on

yes I keep it plugged in.

(*edit on the G80*) USB is not always on.. it shuts down when you lock the doors via fob or the button on the door handle.

it wakes up when you unlock the door via the fob or door handle button.

I've tested this with a USB amp meter plugged into the unit, within 10 seconds of locking the car the USB goes to sleep.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums