So you want wireless carplay in your carplay enabled Genesis.

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yes I keep it plugged in.

(*edit on the G80*) USB is not always on.. it shuts down when you lock the doors via fob or the button on the door handle.

it wakes up when you unlock the door via the fob or door handle button.

I've tested this with a USB amp meter plugged into the unit, within 10 seconds of locking the car the USB goes to sleep.
I may have to test that on the G70. Not sure it’ll work, but no harm in checking. Thanks again

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I may have to test that on the G70. Not sure it’ll work, but no harm in checking. Thanks again
Turns out that locking the doors doesnt shout down the USB port unfortunately.
If anyone else here has been using the dongle in a G70, please let me know if you keep it plugged in or had any issues with the car battery
It would be really disappointing if I had to unplug it every time...kinda defeats the purpose

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My CarPlay2air has been acting odd in new ways since my initial review.

1. It doesn't connect to all speakers and sounds tinny. I shut the car off and opened the car door to turn off the audio and restarted it. It doesn't always do this and the fix doesn't always work.

2. The screen freezes up. The fix if found is to change to the map screen then back to Car Play which is set as my favorite (star) button.

3. When I change drive modes the screen will sometimes go black after the drive mode change screen disappears. I can usually, but not always, fix it by changing to another screen then back to Car Play.

4. Lately, I've had to manually start my music from my phone because Car Play is not detecting my Library. After that it's fine.

Weird things that are annoying but hopefully fixed in future updates. For reference it's connected to an iPhone 11 with the latest IOS.

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Initial review of my CarPlay2Air device. It took about 14 days to get to me (Shenzhen, China) -> Atlanta. Tracking info is provided and about half that time it showed sitting in Atlanta waiting for USPS last leg service. So all in all acceptable shipping times. First thing I did was update the firmware on it. Relatively straight forward. Pairing was a breeze if you've ever paired a Bluetooth device with your phone before. I bought it for the ability to use my phone Navigation app (Waze) wirelessly and for that use case it's already paid for itself. No more having to plug the dang thing in, by the time I'm all settled in the car Waze is coming online.

99% of my music listening is with SiriusXM so that's not effected. I do have an album or two on my phone. It started playing a U2 CD right when I hooked it up and it was very crackly and unlistenable. I had my phone sitting in the same charging bay area as the device. I have not run into that issue since the initial song, but have not troubleshot that particular scenario to determine if it was simply "device break in", proximity to each other or something else. I can say I've listened to that same CD a few times now w/o any issues so I'm not overly concerned. All and all I'm very satisfied with it for my use case. I have not had any of the issues that Jeremy mentioned above, but I will be sure to periodically post any relevant follow ups.

je2345

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Another update out for the cplay device. Just updated this morning. Small update file.

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Anyone else been running into connectivity issues with their CarPlay2Air device after updating their device a few weeks ago? I'd say I am at 50-75% success rate now with everything starting up and connecting automatically when I get in the car (iphone 8, current on the ios version). Sometimes both the wifi and bluetooth are connected, but the Carplay screen stays black. Other times it doesn't connect and I have to go in and manually push the pair button on the phone, then it works fine. Then other times everything simply works right. I've only owned the thing for about a month and am still happy with it, but I can't get past the feeling that I updated the firmware to a more buggy version after the initial update upon receipt. TIA.

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone else been running into connectivity issues with their CarPlay2Air device after updating their device a few weeks ago? I'd say I am at 50-75% success rate now with everything starting up and connecting automatically when I get in the car (iphone 8, current on the ios version). Sometimes both the wifi and bluetooth are connected, but the Carplay screen stays black. Other times it doesn't connect and I have to go in and manually push the pair button on the phone, then it works fine. Then other times everything simply works right. I've only owned the thing for about a month and am still happy with it, but I can't get past the feeling that I updated the firmware to a more buggy version after the initial update upon receipt. TIA.
I’ve been having that same issue myself. I have unpaired and re-paired the phone and like you it’s hit and miss. Yesterday even manual pairing wasn’t working. I restarted my phone and restarted the car and it came up.
Emailed the rep that I have been relaying any issues to and she said that it is being worked on, so hopefully the next update with sort out any issues -iPhone XR with most current ios

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
FrankieD, great thank you from another ATL resident.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
there is an new firmware update that gets rid of the delay in the phone conversation and corrects the connection issues.

I did it this morning and the phone part is definitely fixed. will see over the next few days about the connectivity.

new update instructions if you have already installed the update from December 2019:

Firmware update instructions

1. Connect your phone to the adapter (via Bluetooth and Wifi) and wait until CarPlay appears on the screen.

2. Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser (safari/Chrome) on the phone and click “Go.”

3. If you see an update available, click it.

4. Wait until the update bar reaches 100%.

5. once update says complete, wait 1 minute, then unplug device from USB and replug to reboot, Carplay should connect automatically.

je2345

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
there is an new firmware update that gets rid of the delay in the phone conversation and corrects the connection issues.

I did it this morning and the phone part is definitely fixed. will see over the next few days about the connectivity.

new update instructions if you have already installed the update from December 2019:

Firmware update instructions

1. Connect your phone to the adapter (via Bluetooth and Wifi) and wait until CarPlay appears on the screen.

2. Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser (safari/Chrome) on the phone and click “Go.”

3. If you see an update available, click it.

4. Wait until the update bar reaches 100%.

5. once update says complete, wait 1 minute, then unplug device from USB and replug to reboot, Carplay should connect automatically.
No update found for me. Showing latest version “VER:2020.01.22.2233“

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
No update found for me. Showing latest version “VER:2020.01.22.2233“

when was the last time you updated? I haven't since December, curious if this is the one you did in Jan:

I contacted them yesterday because the delay in the calling was getting annoying, they told me there was a new firmware and to DL it, but they didn't say when it was released.

je2345

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
when was the last time you updated? I haven't since December, curious if this is the one you did in Jan:

I contacted them yesterday because the delay in the calling was getting annoying, they told me there was a new firmware and to DL it, but they didn't say when it was released.
I updated right after this release about Jan 24 or so. I also submitted a bug report with my issues to them. It’s becoming so bad I started plugging my phone in again. Extremely delayed calls, music audio randomly very low quality and connection delays/black screen.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I updated right after this release about Jan 24 or so. I also submitted a bug report with my issues to them. It’s becoming so bad I started plugging my phone in again. Extremely delayed calls, music audio randomly very low quality and connection delays/black screen.

so that update is dated January 22, 2020 and that’s the one I just got but all of the things that you’re experiencing or what I experienced on the previous release dated December 8, 2019 so far the three times I’ve used it since updating this morning those issues appear to be gone

Normally when I get in the car we can take 30 seconds to a minute for it to connect if it connects at all. it’s very random sometimes it just sits there with a black screen.

three times now I’ve connected instantly getting in the car.

I’ve made six phone calls and there’s been no delay, the conversation flows correctly versus before I had a good 5 to 6 second delay between the time I finish speaking and the time the person on the other end heard what I said, and they would tell me there was a dead air and then all of a sudden I will talk and then it was dead air again

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thank you for the update notification. Applied it this morning.

On a separate note, I've noticed that my GPS tracking has gotten less precise when my phone sits on the built in wireless charger now that it shares the cubby with the wireless carplay device.
Have others noticed the same thing (Waze) and has anyone come up with an acceptable solution?

je2345

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That update has nearly made my adapter useless. So sad!

Sailor23M

Registered Member
Chicago
Genesis Model Type
For the hell of it, I just went ahead ordered one to confirm that it works on the 2015 5.0, couple of days ago. That way we can confirm it works across the entire G2 line (older touch only, but may throw in the Mrs Ultimate to see what happens :sneaky:).

While I was at it, I also ordered a Qi pad for wireless charging to see if I can find a neat way of hitting two birds with one stone.
God Bless You.

Camroncoats

Genesis Model Type
didn’t it come with instructions? Carplay2air (can’t speak to the Amazon version)

follow the instructions I posted earlier in the thread.

if you need the firmware send me a pm, since I was beta testing for the company for Genesis I have the latest production build if your device is older.
I just bought a 2016 genesis 3.8l ultimate will this work for me? I was really bummed it couldn't get android auto but this is great if it works.

SMD80

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
well it might be possible.

while doing some searching about adding QI charging to the 2015-2016 Genesis per ntmehan thread on the matter, I came across something rather interesting:

CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay + wired Android Auto

Seems it was just released about a month ago.

says it supports 2015-2020 Hyundai Vehicles, I emailed them and they said yes it should support the Genesis as well as they use the same OS as Hyundai.

So I am going to be the guinea pig here and I bought the unit, As I understand it, this creates an ad-hoc wifi network from the iPhone to the device, the device then transmits over the built in USB to activate CarPlay.

Essentially you plug this in, marry it to your phone and every time you start your car, it connects. Apple Designed Wireless Carplay to use BT to trigger the Wifi to Carplay, and that is what this is doing. It works on any vehicle that already has CarPlay as an OEM wired usb feature.
Thank you for sharing this interesting accessory, but can it start CarPlay from any USB port on the car? Or just the CarPlay designated port only?

davidfitzgerald

Havana Red is the most amazing color!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Harlingen, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I got one of the CPLAY2air adapters for Christmas! It was truly plug and play on our G80, not even a firmware update to deal with! I plugged it into the USB port next to the Qi charger and within a minute or two it was connected. Every time I start the car, the display goes immediately to the CarPlay screen...it hasn’t missed a beat yet!

snipes81

Registered Member
ATL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I tried updating my adapter over the weekend and it never got past 90%. Now I get a Connection Refused from my phone web browser when I plug it in. Adapter still works fine, but after multiple attempts on multiple days, from multiple locations around town I can't get to that update screen. I sent an email to the company earlier in the week, but so far no response. I updated once before around Dec 2019 w/o issue. Has anyone run into this issue and successfully resolved it?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums