Soft Paint! (detailing thread)

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The day I bought my car, I brought it home, clay barred it and coated it with some Wolfgang 3.0 deep gloss sealant. Looked minty fresh and I wanted the protection since the car is outdoors 24/7 (garage wait list in co-op complex is 7-9 years :().

It's been all of 4.5 months and the paint really doesn't look all that good in direct sunlight. No real swirls but a good amount of light clearcoat scratches (might have been from the stupid dealer washing it) and marring. I was doing test spots and hit a section with some synthetic clay with a lot of lubrication and very little pressure and it left a TON of very light scratches. I polished out the section with Meg's ultimate compound and a DA polisher, which knocked out the synthetic clay scratched and some of the surface scratching, but some of it is still visible. It's insane how soft the paint is.

Any tips or product recommendations for removing the light surface scratches with a DA polisher, maybe an effective compound-and-polish in one?

Cassman34

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The day I bought my car, I brought it home, clay barred it and coated it with some Wolfgang 3.0 deep gloss sealant. Looked minty fresh and I wanted the protection since the car is outdoors 24/7 (garage wait list in co-op complex is 7-9 years :().

It's been all of 4.5 months and the paint really doesn't look all that good in direct sunlight. No real swirls but a good amount of light clearcoat scratches (might have been from the stupid dealer washing it) and marring. I was doing test spots and hit a section with some synthetic clay with a lot of lubrication and very little pressure and it left a TON of very light scratches. I polished out the section with Meg's ultimate compound and a DA polisher, which knocked out the synthetic clay scratched and some of the surface scratching, but some of it is still visible. It's insane how soft the paint is.

Any tips or product recommendations for removing the light surface scratches with a DA polisher, maybe an effective compound-and-polish in one?
Can’t really answer your question except to say that I’ve always had good luck with the megs products for light correction. What I will say, since you seem to have a little detailing experience, is you should coat it with gtechniq crystal serum light ceramic coating after you get it corrected to your satisfaction. I’ve done our 3 cars and it’s very easy and effective.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis G70

I've had the same complaint with my car as well, it seems to be a real scratch magnet (I have the mallorca blue color exterior). I bought the car used as a dealer demo and it had a lot of scratches in various spots. I had some cup polishing done to reduce the appearance of the scratches, but have found myself not totally satisfied with the results. I handwash the car regularly, and I've found that the scratches, light swirl marks and overspray are bugging me more and more over time. Rather than obsessing over this any further I'm taking the car for full professional paint correction and ceramic coating in a few weeks, I look forward to not having to obsess over the issues.

I am also replacing and having ppf installed on some of the exterior chrome pieces at this time as the winter the car spent by the Edmonton airport did a real number of these items. My front grille is also pretty beat up, but the dealer quoted price of over $900 is so insane that I'll just live with that for now.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis G70
I've had the same complaint with my car as well, it seems to be a real scratch magnet (I have the mallorca blue color exterior). I bought the car used as a dealer demo and it had a lot of scratches in various spots. I had some cup polishing done to reduce the appearance of the scratches, but have found myself not totally satisfied with the results. I handwash the car regularly, and I've found that the scratches, light swirl marks and overspray are bugging me more and more over time. Rather than obsessing over this any further I'm taking the car for full professional paint correction and ceramic coating in a few weeks, I look forward to not having to obsess over the issues.

I am also replacing and having ppf installed on some of the exterior chrome pieces at this time as the winter the car spent by the Edmonton airport did a real number of these items. My front grille is also pretty beat up, but the dealer quoted price of over $900 is so insane that I'll just live with that for now.
I'm strongly considering the same. I have been putting it off so as to justify the cost, but I have started noticing the micro-scratches from washing and it pains me a little. Something I really didn't pay attention to on my old car

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I'm strongly considering the same. I have been putting it off so as to justify the cost, but I have started noticing the micro-scratches from washing and it pains me a little. Something I really didn't pay attention to on my old car
My old car was silver in color, and fine scratches were pretty much invisible in normal lighting. Plus that car was 17 years old by the time I sold it, so I didn't really care that much anymore about small imperfections. I definitely find with the darker color of my G70 I seem to notice every little imperfection, especially since I put so much more effort into maintaining the appearance of this car.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Why would you buy a brand new car then take it home and start scrubbing off all the coatings that came with it? Or mess with it in general? Seems a waste.

Mine 2015 stays out 24/7 and looks like new. Just run it through the car wash a couple times a month.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I bought some Sonax EX 04-06 polish and a few new griot's garage orange polishing pads. According to the denizens of the detailing forums, it's a good one-step correction/polishing product. I'm going to test it tomorrow on my mom's 2006 Accord, which definitely needs some love. I'll let you guys know how it works.

I'm not the world's greatest detailer by any means but I've been teaching myself over the last year or so. It's just so easy to get obsessed. I suppose that once the surface imperfections have been reduced to the point where they're only visible when I'm looking at the car sideways in direct sunlight at just the right angle, it's probably good enough.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Interesting. I've found the '15 clear to be quite tough. To the point where removing the PO's drive though car wash antics (guessing, but I know what that looks like) with my polisher is quite time consuming even with an aggressive compound.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Damn this car has some really soft paint alright. Seems like the clear/basecoat doesn't just scratch, it just comes off completely. Smdh. I guess I'll have to go invest in ppf. 🤬

- and to add to this.. Not only is it soft, some areas are super thin!

Last edited:

Cassman34

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Why do you say it is soft? Rock chips happen in all paint, especially with a car as low as this one. There is no paint that will stop rock chips. Also, why do you say it has super thin areas? I'm not contesting your statement, I'm just curious as to the basis.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Why do you say it is soft? Rock chips happen in all paint, especially with a car as low as this one. There is no paint that will stop rock chips. Also, why do you say it has super thin areas? I'm not contesting your statement, I'm just curious as to the basis.
I agree with the rock chips, especially with the new waterborne paints. I have another car that is 12 years old (my daily driver) and it has it's fair share of rock chips.

I've had my car since July 2019 and put about 5k miles on it. My concern is, for the short time and limited use of the G70, it kinda worries me what this thing will look like in a couple years.

When I first purchased this car while I was cleaning the outside, I rubbed the edge of the bumper where it meets the hood. The paint came off! It was super thin...I thought it was a one off and dismissed it. So I touched it up with the factory touch up paint. Since then, it seems like anything that touches this car takes the paint right off. I've had a couple instance's where this button by my pockets (see picture) lightly rubbed against the edge of the door, again, doesn't just scratch it, the paint literally comes off. I just keep my touch up paint pen in the car now. I have a feeling I'll be using it often. 😑

Attachments

Last edited:

G-695114

I agree with the rock chips, especially with the new waterborne paints. I have another car that is 12 years old (my daily driver) and it has it's fair share of rock chips.

I've had my car since July 2019 and put about 5k miles on it. My concern is, for the short time and limited use of the G70, it kinda worries me what this thing will look like in a couple years.

When I first purchased this car, while I was cleaning the outside, I rubbed the edge of the bumper where it meets the hood. The paint came off! It was super thin...I thought it was a one off and dismissed it. So I touched it up with the factory touch up paint. Since then, it seems like anything that touches this car takes the paint right off. I've had a couple instance's where this button by my pockets (see picture) lightly rubbed against the edge of the door, again, doesn't just scratch it, the paint literally comes off. I just keep my touch up paint pen in the car now. I have a feeling I'll be using it often. 😑
That sounds awful. I haven’t had that problem.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70

When I first purchased this car, while I was cleaning the outside, I rubbed the edge of the bumper where it meets the hood. The paint came off! It was super thin...I thought it was a one off and dismissed it. So I touched it up with the factory touch up paint. Since then, it seems like anything that touches this car takes the paint right off. I've had a couple instance's where this button by my pockets (see picture) lightly rubbed against the edge of the door, again, doesn't just scratch it, the paint literally comes off. I just keep my touch up paint pen in the car now. I have a feeling I'll be using it often. 😑

What color is yours?

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis G70
Paint that comes off that easily seems to have an issue. Water borne paints have been out for a while and been in use on aircraft too so they can be just fine when properly applied. A good paint test, one that we use on aircraft finishes is a tape test. Apply some general purpose masking tape to an area you wish to test. Rub it down good. We normally use an aluminum rod with a full radius on the end to do a light scribe across the finish and then apply tape to that area to test the paint adhesion. Not something I would do on an automobile by using a scribe, but if quickly pulling off the masking tape alone pulls paint up, that paint job was not properly applied or mixed. Try at your own risk.

robscar

Registered Member
South central Pa
Genesis G70
I did the same when I first got mine. These cars have a fair amount of orange peal in the paint. which under the right angle and light can look, if not dull, then not sparkling for a second as your eye pass over the surface. I rally notice it in the garage under fluorescent lighting.

Attachments

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Your base coat is waterborne, The clearcoat is still sprayed with Solvent & appropriate Hardner. If your rubbing Levi's rivets on your paint it is gonna scratch. No way around it. No paint is Levi Rivet proof.
I coated my G70 with CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0. Car is black, looks like it was sanded and buffed it is so slick. Monthly I use CarPro Reload ( A wipe-on/wipe-off) SI02 Detailer, otherwise I wash it at least once a week, or more and drive it. Finish is so slick if you run cold water over the surface after wash it will almost completely drain. Easy to finish dry with one micro-fiber drying towel.

robscar

Registered Member
South central Pa
Genesis G70
Your base coat is waterborne, The clearcoat is still sprayed with Solvent & appropriate Hardner. If your rubbing Levi's rivets on your paint it is gonna scratch. No way around it. No paint is Levi Rivet proof.
I coated my G70 with CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0. Car is black, looks like it was sanded and buffed it is so slick. Monthly I use CarPro Reload ( A wipe-on/wipe-off) SI02 Detailer, otherwise I wash it at least once a week, or more and drive it. Finish is so slick if you run cold water over the surface after wash it will almost completely drain. Easy to finish dry with one micro-fiber drying towel.
Did you do the coating yourself? If so, how difficult was it to apply?

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The Ceramic coating is easier to apply than wax, literally just wipe on in a crosshatch pattern, wait for it to start looking like a rainbow and then wipe off (actually just leveling the surface but it is like wiping off a wax). The only difference is prep,
1. Wash Car
2. Spray car with Iron-X, let perk about five minutes, use soft damp mit and wipe complete car, then wash off using soap/water & rinse. This step will take about 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Clay if needed, most clayable particles came off with the Iron-X. Use a clay mit or block not a clay bar and a clay lube that does not include any type wax, I use CarPro Immolube . Took me 25 minutes for the complete car.
4. Paint on my car was good with minumal swirling/scratches. I used a Meguairs Micro-Fiber Finish Pad and Mothers PURE polish and went over the compete car with my Orbital. Took me a hour or so.
5. Wiped car down twice with CarPro Eraser but you can mix Isopropyl Alcohol & water if you like to remove Polish/Hand sweat from surface. Maybe 15 minutes total.
6. Applied first coat of Ceramic Coating to complete car, 45 minutes or so and then about the same for second coat..
7. Next day, after about 12 hours from second coat of Ceramic, I did coat of CarPro Reload which is a Spray Detailer that is heavy in SI02, this you will do periodically for the next couple years to preserve the Ceramic and increase the Hydro properties. This really is a wipe on/wipe off deal from a spray bottle. Takes a few minutes to do the complete car.
This was it, I took a day total between taking breaks etc. Left car in garage for 24 hours after starting.
You would be amazed how many people who know nothing about a car that will make comments everytime we drive the car. Had a middle aged lady in traffic wave to open the window wanting to know what she had to do to get a shine like that last week and it has been months since I applied the ceramic.
I do suggest you start and finish with the same brand product line and do the steps as they suggest, if so, it is almost impossible to screw up. I also recommend Sky's the Limit Car Care in Sanford Fl for your Supplies. They are good people and it you have a question will answer phone or email quickly.
Now some tips: Wipe off/level with edgeless 360 thread count micro fiber, I use Rag Company from Amazon. It says on instructions to throw them away after use, I don't, I prepare a bucket with warm water and soap and after using them I just drop them in the water and then washed them when I was done in the washer. It works. The Little 4" Suede applicator pads, different story, Next day they will be stiff as a board so you do throw them away. Do NOT get it on your fingers, use rubber gloves, can buy a whole box for $5.00 @ Harbor Freight, Do not get rubber glove fingers on interior.
Watch Pan the Organizer on YouTube's Video where he Ceramic coats his own BMW. He does a good job. Take some of it with a grain of salt but he offers a good overview.
End result is worth it
Good Luck.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums