• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

SOLVED: Car Finder > 1 mile?

whitehurst

Hasn't posted much yet...
Atlanta, GA
Hello all,

Is there a way to remotely locate my 2017 G80 when it is more than 1 mile away? The app says it won’t show location if more than one mile away. Seems like an odd limitation since the locator is most helpful when you are further away...

My car is being transported across the country (we are moving) and it would be fun to watch it on its travels!

Thank you,
Jason

g_523601

Put an iPhone in the car and "find my phone"?
Haha, nice. Likely wouldn’t stay charged for 4-day trip with GPS on.

I wonder why they imposed the 1 mile limitation. The commercial/ad from 2016 shows Kevin Hart monitoring his daughter’s whereabouts...I guess this is a newer limitation.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hello all,

Is there a way to remotely locate my 2017 G80 when it is more than 1 mile away? The app says it won’t show location if more than one mile away. Seems like an odd limitation since the locator is most helpful when you are further away...

My car is being transported across the country (we are moving) and it would be fun to watch it on its travels!

Thank you,
Jason
Don't feel bad. My car is parked in the driveway and it does not know where it really is.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

whitehurst

Hasn't posted much yet...
Atlanta, GA
Somebody on reddit (johanbohn) gave me just the trick I was looking for:

“The way I found is that you can issue another command to it (such as lock doors). If you have the email notifications on it will send you an email telling you that it was successful and give you the nearby address. It’s usually very accurate and works no matter how far you are away in my experience.”

Just tested and this worked perfectly!

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

“The way I found is that you can issue another command to it (such as lock doors). If you have the email notifications on it will send you an email telling you that it was successful and give you the nearby address. It’s usually very accurate and works no matter how far you are away in my experience.”

Elegant solution. I tested today on my 2018 G80 Sport. If you send a Start, Stop, Lock, Unlock or horn/light request the notification e-mail will include "Near" location. The address is not included in text message notifications.

----------------
Subject [command} Notification
Your request for [command] on 1/24/2019 at 8:50am EST was sent to vehicle.

2018 GENESIS G80
(KHMGNxxxxxxxxxxxx).
Near 456 Zippy Do Da Way, Kalamazoo, UT 123456
------------------

You'll need to have e-mail notification configured/enabled in the Genesis mobile app. On an iphone this is in Settings\Genesis Connected Services\Remote\. For the commands you want to receive e-mails; check the EMAIL box.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hello all,

Thank you,
Jason
I hypothesize the designers intended this to be for finding the vehicle in the parking lot, not vehicle recovery or long distance tracking.

This reminds me of my fathers method for finding his "lost/missing" vehicle in a parking lot. He'd press the "panic" button on they key fob. This would trigger the horn and lights so he could locate his vehicle. I'd hang my head in shame and sheepishly get into his car when he'd do this.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Just tested it too. Gave me "near" an address a half mile from me. My street is not on Google maps yet so it came up with one.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
A bit different but a near need to locate: There is an App, "Life 360" that will track one or more iPhones on your and the members of the "group" iPhones. The occasion Annie and I used it was it came into play when Annie planned with her friend a car trip from Vancouver, WA down to Redondo, CA to visit our daughter. My concern if the gals encountered trouble along the way, i.e., car, health, accident, etc. The "Life 360" App tracked Annie's iPhone all the way show their location on I-5 and throughout the cities encountered. Life 360 App is something all parents should considered for themselves and their yourguns. Ya, you can call it spying or you can call it caring.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
How is this different from find my friends which is part of every iPhone?
Many thanks for what might be a better solution. I'll give it a try and if as good or better, I'll change. 'See no good reason to waste precious memory.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
I did say I have an iPad2 that I still use, but what I leave in the car is an iPod 2nd generation. Hardly ever use it as it gets hot when I do, however it is small and I can stash it away unnoticed in the car.

Btw, we ( Wife and I) also have an iPhone 5S (using it now) and two iPhone 5's. Don't want a larger 6 or 7 or 8 or X, or .... you get the idea. I remember when cell phones were BIG, like a brick. Then they got small. Now they are getting BIG again. If Apple would bring out an updated iPhone SE (SE 2 ??), I'd buy it in a minute.