Something is draining my battery!!!

Thread starter #1

Ron Veenker

Been here awhile...
About once a week, after noticing the battery is losing power, I find my 2009 3.8 will not turn over. I get it jumped and drive 50 mi to the dealership and it has some ooomph in it. So they can't figure it out either. I left it there 48 hrs but they wanted their loaner back so I'm no further ahead. If I had it taken up on a flatbed wrecker would that help them diagnose?

I am not mechanic nor a physicist. I simply cannot figure out how on earth a tech would trace a drain on a dead battery.

The only symptoms I noticed before this happened was that my door lock light and alarm stopped operating. I also noticed that I sometimes lose my MPG data and my TRIPA/TRIP B data overnight.

Anyone have some experience with this? It's kind of scary. I remember the old days when people would have unsolvable electrical difficulties and just sold or junked the car.

Thanks to all of you,

Ron
:confused:

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
About once a week, after noticing the battery is losing power, I find my 2009 3.8 will not turn over. I get it jumped and drive 50 mi to the dealership and it has some ooomph in it. So they can't figure it out either. I left it there 48 hrs but they wanted their loaner back so I'm no further ahead. If I had it taken up on a flatbed wrecker would that help them diagnose?

I am not mechanic nor a physicist. I simply cannot figure out how on earth a tech would trace a drain on a dead battery.

The only symptoms I noticed before this happened was that my door lock light and alarm stopped operating. I also noticed that I sometimes lose my MPG data and my TRIPA/TRIP B data overnight.

Anyone have some experience with this? It's kind of scary. I remember the old days when people would have unsolvable electrical difficulties and just sold or junked the car.

Thanks to all of you,

Ron
Do your dash lights and interior lights work? Does your display screen work/Nav?

If not, check the main breaker fuse located in the driver side door jam, which has a yellow color and make sure the fuse is all the way in.

Just a thought.

dond13

Been here awhile...
Round Rock, Tx

Thanks to all of you,

Ron
Look here

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=6908

This problem has happened to several of us.

Thanks to all of you,

Ron
I'll bet it is the following.

Lift the hood. Look just inboard of the driver side fender, for a push switch.
Next look at the hood, near the edge, in the area where the hood closes over that driver side switch. You SHOULD see a rubber stopper, that pushes down on that switch. If the rubber stopper is missing, you will see the hole where the robber stopper belongs. If rubber stopper is missing, this is your problem.

If rubber stopper is there, and it does push down on the push switch, your problem is elsewhere.

Thread starter #8

Ron Veenker

Been here awhile...
Do your dash lights and interior lights work? Does your display screen work/Nav?

If not, check the main breaker fuse located in the driver side door jam, which has a yellow color and make sure the fuse is all the way in.

Just a thought.
Thanks for your response, Scott.

No, everything is dead. I can't even unlock the door/trunk without the hard key.

Ron

Thread starter #9

Ron Veenker

Been here awhile...

Next look at the hood, near the edge, in the area where the hood closes over that driver side switch. You SHOULD see a rubber stopper, that pushes down on that switch. If the rubber stopper is missing, you will see the hole where the robber stopper belongs. If rubber stopper is missing, this is your problem.

If rubber stopper is there, and it does push down on the push switch, your problem is elsewhere.
I found the switch and the rubber stopper is in place.

Thanks, Bob, for your help.

Ron

Thread starter #10

Ron Veenker

Been here awhile...

HOLD ON, HOLD ON, just a minute here, CTRCBOB! I think I figured it out thanks to your help and from the other thread pointed out by DOND13.

mike c. wrote:

"Then look at the underside of the hood along the driver side edge: you'll see a few rubber pads/bumpers attached to it. On the driver side again, there will be two pads: one that is over an inch in diameter - this is the hood "stop" that keeps the hood from vibrating while you drive; the second is smaller and further towards the rear of the hood. It's about half an inch in diameter, and 3/8ths of an inch tall... this is what should line up (lower the hood so it's almost closed) to push that button."

I mistook the larger bumper for the one which depresses the switch. I took another look just now after reading the details above and there is a 3/8" hole right above the lower switch. Ta Dahhhhhh!

Thanks again, CTRCBOB [and to Mike C. getting me to take another look]

I'll let you know how things go when I talk to the dealer and get the bumper replaced.

Ron

Thread starter #11

Ron Veenker

Been here awhile...
I am so thankful for this forum. You all saved me from having my Gen flat bedded 50 mi to the dealer.

Yesterday I slow charged my battery all day. This morning I drove to Parkway Hyundai in Wilmington NC. I purchased TWO rubber pads and a service rep pushed it into the hole.

Note that the first symptom that something was wrong even before I lost the full charge on the battery: The door lock signals, the light blink and the alarm beep failed. The door would lock, but the only sound was that of the door locking. After installing the rubber bumper pad under the hood, the light and beep returned.

So far so good. I'm not expecting any problems with the battery but will keep you posted.

And again, thanks to everyone of you who contributed to this solution.

Ron :)

grichie

Hasn't posted much yet...
I experienced the same problems. ( Genesis 3.8 2009) My battery went dead after the car sat for three or more days. Dealer kept replacing the battery. I am now on my third battery in 16 months.

Car went dead this past weekend after a four day sit and was towed to the dealer. I mentioned to the service manager the hint about the rubber bumper.
An hour later he called to thank me for the hint. The bumper was misssing.

I hope that my days of changing batteries every six months, (under warranty of course) are over.

Pity that Hundai service techs don't read the forums.

Last edited:

grichie

The forum suggested a missing rubber bumper under the hood.

I suggested this to the dealer and he found that the bumper was missing on my car. It was replaced last week.

I let the car sit for four days this weekend and the battery did not drain. It started this morning as it should.

Thanks to the forum for suggesting a solution that the dealer could not find.

Grichie

dond13

Been here awhile...
Round Rock, Tx
The forum suggested a missing rubber bumper under the hood.

I suggested this to the dealer and he found that the bumper was missing on my car. It was replaced last week.

I let the car sit for four days this weekend and the battery did not drain. It started this morning as it should.

Thanks to the forum for suggesting a solution that the dealer could not find.

Grichie
There have been several people with the exact problem and Hyundai still hasn't come out with an advisory about it so that their service departments can check for it. They have known about it for over 2 years and people STILL have the problem.

I asked a guy at my dealership if he read this forum and he dismissed it saying that only people who like to bitch log on and report problems. This forum should be REQUIRED reading for all service and sales people at Hyundai!@!

Morgswins

This is crazy! I was missing that rubber plug and was having all kinds of battery issues, check engine light, ESC, dead battery half the time. I replaced the original battery with the best I could buy. Looking back it wasn't the battery it was that stupid little rubber plug that pushes down on that switch! I was getting to point of just trading in my car cuz of the electrical issues that seemed to be unsolvable, or having to get jumped all the time from strangers or bring along a battery jumper pack. Thanks to this thread and not my Hyundai mechanic!!!! Unreal that's what the problem was!!!! Why would Hyundai have a plug to press that switch anyway even if it is a anti theft thing, what does that switch have to do with anti theft? Regardless I am so greatful for this post! I searched high and low for answers!! Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If it's dead you're going to play heck trying to get it to hold a charge. Especially if it's sulfated. You'll need to get a charger with a de-sulfating cycle that puts out 20 amps.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.