Spare Tire - Yes or No?

Rustin

Genesis G80
Just purchased a 2017 Genesis 80 and found there was no spare or jack. Dealer says it's "an option" with the Genesis. We find that really hard to believe. We're not spring chickens and have bought cars before...
Anyone have some specifics?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
Just purchased a 2017 Genesis 80 and found there was no spare or jack. Dealer says it's "an option" with the Genesis. We find that really hard to believe. We're not spring chickens and have bought cars before...
I've had a 2015 Genesis and 2018 G80. Tell the dealer to get his head of of his ass you bought a Genesis, not an Elantra and get the tire and jack. There is a molded foam piece on top of the tire that holds the jack.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis G70
This is not uncommon anymore, and the dealer is correct. Most passenger cars have had the “donut” spare optional, or as part of an option package, for several years now.

You’ll want to consider the likelihood that you’ll want to (or be able to) change your own tire in different circumstances. Complimentary roadside assistance is, I think, part of the Genesis standard package (for 3 years I think — can someone confirm), and many insurance policies have a roadside assistance benefit.

Personally, although I can change my own tire, I really don’t want to when I’m on the side of an interstate. I also happen to have winter tires (I have RWD, not AWD), so one of those can be my spare if I want to take up a bunch of trunk space for a spare.

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis G80 Sport
They've been standard on the three Genesis I've owned. Guess it depends on the trim level.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
This is not uncommon anymore, and the dealer is correct. Most passenger cars have had the “donut” spare optional, or as part of an option package, for several years now.
No, the dealer is not correct on the G80. Yes, some cars do not have a spare but Genesis does. If you gash a sidewall the 'roadside Assistance is of little value to get you out of a bind with no spare. I can't speak for the G70 but both mine had them as standard.

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis G80
I had a 2016 G80 and have a 2018 g80 base and both came with tools and small spare and there was NO option listed on the window sticker or the Bill of sale. I would but a call into Genesis Customer Service.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis G90
I don’t own a G80 but I think the consensus is that your dealer cheated you out of your spare.
There was one person who did say the dealer was right but I cant tell if @LandOfConfusion actually owns a G80 and if they don’t why would they even make such a definitive comment?

G-830989

I've had a 2015 Genesis and 2018 G80. Tell the dealer to get his head of of his ass you bought a Genesis, not an Elantra and get the tire and jack. There is a molded foam piece on top of the tire that holds the jack.
Thanks! We plan to go in the morning.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I don’t own a G80 but I think the consensus is that your dealer cheated you out of your spare.
There was one person who did say the dealer was right but I cant tell if @LandOfConfusion actually owns a G80 and if they don’t why would they even make such a definitive comment?
I don’t own a G80 and probably shouldn’t have assumed that the dealer was correct. I looked for a spec sheet on standard equipment for the 2017 G80, but couldn’t find them for all trim levels. Apologies.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My opinion only....

Get a cheap spare and jack asap. Whether that comes out of your pocket or the dealer's...that's up to you. But get a damn spare now. :)

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis G90
Found the spec sheet. Oddly, it doesn’t list a spare tire.

Link: 2017 G80 Equipment Spec Sheet
Nothing odd about it. I don’t think it was their intention to list every piece of equipment on the car. So from it’s omission you certainly can’t conclude that it doesn’t have a spare. The folks who actually own a G80 should have the correct answer and I believe they say it does have a spare.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Nothing odd about it. I don’t think it was their intention to list every piece of equipment on the car. So from it’s omission you certainly can’t conclude that it doesn’t have a spare. The folks who actually own a G80 should have the correct answer and I believe they say it does have a spare.
Wow. Just an opinion. Of course it wouldn’t list every nut and bolt, but the standard features that appeal to many buyers are often listed. A spare tire seemed to be important to the OP.

Peace.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
Wow. Just an opinion. Of course it wouldn’t list every nut and bolt, but the standard features that appeal to many buyers are often listed. A spare tire seemed to be important to the OP.

Peace.
Just for the heck of it I looked at some Hyundai that I know do not have a spare. It was not even listed under the accessories so I had to poke around more. I finally was able to search and found the spare kit is available for $341. In includes a wheel, but not the tire.
Spare Tire Kit - Factory approved, space-saving Spare Tire Kit. Includes wheel, jack, lug wrench, hold-down clamp and foam tool case. Fits in trunk. Spare tire not included.

Seems auto makers are hiding this cost and weight saving thing. There is no mention of it in the specs and comparisons. Many drivers will not know until they get a flat at midnight in January at 5 below zero.

Don88

♪If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)♫ Staple Singers
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis G80
When you lift the floorboard in the trunk, is there anything more than an echo? You should have with the battery, a spare, some tools, and with my '18 a second copy the the Owner's Manual and the original lug nuts if your G80 had the Accessory Theft proof LN's installed.

e.han

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2014 Genesis and have both a compact spare and a piece of foam sitting on the spare holding the tools.

How does the trunk floorboard sustain weight without the spare + piece of foam?

FYI, the factory spare tire specs (T135/70R19) are hard to find in the market.

MorrisGray

Rock Spring, GA
This is disturbing. I am glad that the OP brought it to our attention as I have been considering buying a new G80 or G70 myself. This is one of those things that are easily forgotten to check on when buying a new car because we just expect it to be there! Another thing we should also check is to see if the physical key will open the door or trunk.
.... If you buy a Mazda you might want to check the lug nuts for being securely torqued.

e.han

This is disturbing. I am glad that the OP brought it to our attention as I have been considering buying a new G80 or G70 myself. This is one of those things that are easily forgotten to check on when buying a new car because we just expect it to be there! Another thing we should also check is to see if the physical key will open the door or trunk.
.... If you buy a Mazda you might want to check the lug nuts for being securely torqued.
And check if all the lug nuts on the on your wheels are of the same size. My last vehicle (TG Azera) had 1 nut that was a different size and fortunately, I found out about it when I was tinkering around with the brakes and not during an emergency situation.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
How true! These items can be overlooked very easily. I had purchased a Azera and one of the keys and the fob did not work for that car. The Fob and key were for a different car! Friend purchased new f350, same stuff wheels were not torqued correctly ! Every wheel needed to be tightened up.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums