spontaneous shattered tinted glass wind deflector 2015 Genesis

tommy carter

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
Yesterday while driving my 2015 Genesis sedan we heard a loud bang at first we thought something dropped on top of the sunroof but we were on the interstate with no trees near us, no traffic near us ,no overpass above us, when I stopped the tinted glass piece in front of the sunroof was cracked all the way across with no sign of an object impact at all. I took it to the dealer and they said they will call me. Anyone ever heard of this?

zielritter

Been here awhile...
I thought the wind deflector was plastic? Glass would seem like a bad idea for this type of piece.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I thought the wind deflector was plastic? Glass would seem like a bad idea for this type of piece.
In the 1st Gen, the Sunroof Wind deflector was indeed plastic. Not absolutely certain that the original poster is referring to the sunroof wind deflector, though. For clarity, does it resemble the item listed below (which admittedly is for the Genesis Coupe, but I'm linking for the picture):
http://www.hyundaipartssuperstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=529&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Merchant%2BCenter&utm_campaign=Feed&gclid=Cj0KEQjwifWnBRCB5PT57KSVw-kBEiQASV7aRDX1n8_gaKAW8CouiVkcO5NnCJ3iTNV5ElkSdaMitQgaAkKS8P8HAQ

jonnysul

Yesterday while driving my 2015 Genesis sedan we heard a loud bang at first we thought something dropped on top of the sunroof but we were on the interstate with no trees near us, no traffic near us ,no overpass above us, when I stopped the tinted glass piece in front of the sunroof was cracked all the way across with no sign of an object impact at all. I took it to the dealer and they said they will call me. Anyone ever heard of this?
I just had the same thing happen today as I was driving down the highway. Nothing seemed to have hit the roof, just the popping sound and then the sound of the glass as it was shuffling around the roof. I set an appointment with Hyundai for tomorrow morning, but at first conversation they of course indicated it is not common and would not be covered under warranty without a claim filed with Hyundai Corporate. I am wondering what the outcome was of your situation, did they end up covering it for you?

Attachments

Last edited:

xsolara

Registered Member
I just had the same thing happen today as I was driving down the highway. Nothing seemed to have hit the roof, just the popping sound and then the sound of the glass as it was shuffling around the roof. I set an appointment with Hyundai for tomorrow morning, but at first conversation they of course indicated it is not common and would not be covered under warranty without a claim filed with Hyundai Corporate. I am wondering what the outcome was of your situation, did they end up covering it for you?
Your picture to me shows it to be a stress fracture not something like a hit damage..... Hyundai should pay not your insurance company

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
This has been reported before. If I were you, I would do an exhaustive search of this forum and find all the other posts of members who have had the same problem. Then send it to the dealer and HMA.

Bryandowen

I just had the same thing happen to my 2015 Genesis! The section between the windshield and the sunroof just disintegrated around the edges. We were driving down the highway and heard the sound you normally hear when you drive through rocky dirt and you hear small rocks kicking up into your fender well, but it was on top of the car. We pulled over and saw that it was little bits of glass streaming back along the sunroof. I'm curious if the original poster had luck with Hyundai paying for the repair. I'm anticipating the dealer and Hyundai being coy about it and sticking me with the bill. Any thoughts on this?

chris41

Registered Member
Interesting thread....

I've heard a loud pop twice already. The first time I thought a rock hit the windshield. The second time sounded the same so I assumed it to be just something stressed in cold weather. Now I will see if it pertains to the piece of glass in question.

wfk

I had the 6 inch wide glass panel crack but not shatter on my 2015 5.0 last month. Took it in to my dealer, Rick Case and they replaced the panel at no cost under warranty. Had about 40k miles on it.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I started an earlier thread on this.

5 Timer

Registered Member
Kind of makes you wonder how many more glass panels have cracked, but the owners are not on this forum - or owners that have not posted a similar experience on this forum :suspicion:
Anyone else?

Posted 3/9/2015:
Posted 2/10/2016
Posted 12/27/16
I just had the same thing happen to my 2015 Genesis! The section between the windshield and the sunroof just disintegrated around the edges. We were driving down the highway and heard the sound you normally hear when you drive through rocky dirt and you hear small rocks kicking up into your fender well, but it was on top of the car. We pulled over and saw that it was little bits of glass streaming back along the sunroof. I'm curious if the original poster had luck with Hyundai paying for the repair. I'm anticipating the dealer and Hyundai being coy about it and sticking me with the bill. Any thoughts on this?
Posted 12/28/16
The 6 inch wide roof panel between the windshield and the sunroof on my 2015 5.0 sedan has cracked in a ring about 1 inch in from the edge 3/4 of the way around the panel. There was no accident or stone hit that I'm aware of. Anyone else have this issue? I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.

circuitest1

My problem was with the sun roof itself which exploded on a cold day, last winter, and showered glass inside the car while i was driving on the expressway. My dealer filed a claim with Hyundai for me and the sun roof was replaced under the warranty. The repair took two weeks because the replacement part had to come from Canada.

I garage my cars, and my sunroof exploded after driving about 10 miles on a very cold day. I did not hear of any other exploding roofs all summer, and now that cold days are here again i see that other people are having similar issues. This leads me to think that the stress may be due to sudden changes in temperature, or at the very least cold weather. It seems that this problem also occurs on BMWs and other car makes which have cars with large sunroof surfaces.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Would a 3M or an Xpel shield product prevent this?
I doubt that would change the temperature differential issue in the cold, coming from a warmer garage, since these products are applied to the inside of the glass I assume. Based on posts above, the issue seems to be a "sudden" drop in temperature from a garaged car to a car being driven in cold weather.

It might help with glass flying through the cabin though, if applied to the inside of the roof.

waz

Registered Member
Hate to refute your theory, but the front (movable) section of my sunroof just exploded today while driving on the interstate during a snow squall, and my car had been parked outside all night.

I drove straight to Asheville Hyundai with snow falling on my head every time I had to stop for a traffic light.

Forrest the service manager said it would be covered under warranty and gave me a loaner car to pick my kids from school. I have to say that their service department is 1000% better since he took over.

I think the problem lies with the temperature difference between the warm air from the heater/defroster on the inside of the car and the 32 degree F. temps outside.

Seejay

Registered Member
I want to start a no sunroof revolution. :welcome: NO MORE SUNROOFS! DOWN WITH SUNROOFS! I want to make it loud and clear to manufacturers that I will not purchase another car with one.:grouphug:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.