Sport Mode on 2012 5.0 R-Spec??

D_Rod625

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Hello,

I'm a first time owner of Hyundai. Bought a used 2012 Genesis R-Spec.

When the sun hits my dash in the early morning I can see a "sport" light. It SHOULD light up but I can't find a sport button, or any configuration on my dash/wheel to engage it.

Is this a dash they've used in other vehicles and simply didn't care to add an active sport mode in the Genesis Sedan line up?

Help.

Dreamsy

Getting familiar with the group...
LA
Yeah sadly its non existent really, and it is in the Hyundai Equus, even if you managed to get the light to come on it would not change anything. Please do this for me and let me know how it goes. A very nice guy by the name "daviderle" taught me this. So here's some of his wise words.

"Change to sports mode, hold the stick in the down position (-) and then stomp on it, you should note a shorter wait than you do normally (280-320ms according to the two OBDII readings I have taken, although allot more runs are needed).

So pretty much, gonna use it in a track scenario, so have one hand on the shift stick on (-) and the have the other on your steering wheel, and roll onto the line like that, switch back to Drive and should feel the transmission go into like an overdrive and shift quicker, should be pretty fun using this generic sport mode.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You can download the Owner's Manual if you register with www.myhyundai.com

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
The R-spec is already in sport mode.

G-610742

Yeah sadly its non existent really, and it is in the Hyundai Equus, even if you managed to get the light to come on it would not change anything. Please do this for me and let me know how it goes. A very nice guy by the name "daviderle" taught me this. So here's some of his wise words.

"Change to sports mode, hold the stick in the down position (-) and then stomp on it, you should note a shorter wait than you do normally (280-320ms according to the two OBDII readings I have taken, although allot more runs are needed).

So pretty much, gonna use it in a track scenario, so have one hand on the shift stick on (-) and the have the other on your steering wheel, and roll onto the line like that, switch back to Drive and should feel the transmission go into like an overdrive and shift quicker, should be pretty fun using this generic sport mode.
Is there a video or do you have a video of how this should be done I just don’t want to break anything

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is there a video or do you have a video of how this should be done I just don’t want to break anything

"Change to sports mode, hold the stick in the down position (-) and then stomp on it"

If you can't figure out how to do that based on the instructions above please trade in your car.

You will be in sportshift mode so you will need to remember to push up on the stick before you hit redline.

Qship

Registered Member
Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
"Change to sports mode, hold the stick in the down position (-) and then stomp on it"

If you can't figure out how to do that based on the instructions above please trade in your car.

You will be in sportshift mode so you will need to remember to push up on the stick before you hit redline.
That's actually not what the instructions say.
In simple terms, without pressing the accelerator do the following...

1) Move the shift lever from "D" to the +/- side, pull back (towards the rear of the car) on the shifter and hold it there as you roll forward without pressing the accelerator.
2) Just before you're ready to mash the gas, move the stick back to "D".
3) Floor it, the transmission should now be shifting differently/holding gears longer and feel "snappier" when shifting. You'll notice especially when you start to slow down, the transmission will be using all of the engine braking possible (delaying shifts) to stay in the optimal power band.

I was playing around in my 2010 3.8 and noticed this change in transmission behavior after messing around with the manual mode, holding it to -, letting it shift on it's own, shifting it myself, putting it back in D to see if it changed anything outside of you just shifting yourself. I found that even after putting it back in D, the transmission was way more decisive and immediate with switching gears and held them even with the rpm up (this is in D) which surprised me. But since I was messing with things one after the other, I'm not sure what sequence did it. But it's possible that it was the pulling and holding the shifter back (-) for a couple of seconds that changed it. I also noticed when you think you've reached the full extent of pedal travel, there's a button/switch something that if you continue to press the accelerator down past where you think it should stop (you can physically feel this... whatever you want to call it) the transmission will rocket down a gear and the car seriously wakes up.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Our cars normally start in 2nd gear from a dead stop.

Switching to 'M' and tapping the '-' will shift the car to 1st gear. You can move the shift lever back to 'D' and the car will remain in 1st gear.

This works on all variants.

Qship

Registered Member
Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
^^^ Odd. I've checked, mine doesn't start off in 2nd.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums