Sport Mode/Suspension

TroyK

Registered Member
The other day i was out for a cruise around town and decided to check out Sport mode. I switched to said mode, and noticed within a few minutes that my steering got stiffer, and so did the suspension. I have a base model Genesis and did expect the stiffer steering feel, but was shocked that the suspension also seemed to stiffen up! Does the base model actually have adjustable dampers and/or shocks, or was I dreaming?? :confused:

TroyK

Registered Member
boy...i'm not sure guys. i've dialed in sport mode several times and every time i swear it feels like the tires have gained 5 lbs of pressure (ie siffer suspension feel). maybe the firmer steering somehow makes the overall ride feel stiffer? i do have HTRAC fwiw...

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As stated on the Hyundai Genesis website:

INTELLIGENT DRIVE MODE

Normal, Sport, Eco and Snow modes alter steering, transmission, throttle, and suspension to give you control tailored to each environment and condition. In Normal mode, HTRAC actively optimizes torque flow, to achieve maximum traction, regardless of the road condition. In Sport mode, HTRAC can transfer as much as 90% of the torque to the rear wheels for a more fun-to-drive experience on dry pavement.

Sport mode on all models effects the suspension as noted above. The 5.0 Ultimate also has the following feature:

MULTI-LINK SUSPENSION WITH AVAILABLE CONTINUOUS DAMPING CONTROL

The Genesis' suspension is continuously hard at work enhancing precision and control for the driver in real-time. An increase in rear lateral stiffness allows for more confident handling.

db6

Registered Member
MA
boy...i'm not sure guys. i've dialed in sport mode several times and every time i swear it feels like the tires have gained 5 lbs of pressure (ie siffer suspension feel). maybe the firmer steering somehow makes the overall ride feel stiffer? i do have HTRAC fwiw...
+1 - You can defiently feel a difference in steering when the driving mode is changed on a V6.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
I cannot see how shocks can be controlled unless they have electronic/hydraulic adjustment capability or CDC if you prefer. The system is quite expensive and complex. The steering is electric and so is the transmission so yes no extra cost to implement but I have serious doubts the suspension firms up on the base V6 also. The OP mentioned a few minutes after sport mode was engaged it felt stiffer, this actually happens in milliseconds not minutes.

Last edited:

TroyK

Registered Member
As stated on the Hyundai Genesis website:

INTELLIGENT DRIVE MODE

Normal, Sport, Eco and Snow modes alter steering, transmission, throttle, and suspension to give you control tailored to each environment and condition. In Normal mode, HTRAC actively optimizes torque flow, to achieve maximum traction, regardless of the road condition. In Sport mode, HTRAC can transfer as much as 90% of the torque to the rear wheels for a more fun-to-drive experience on dry pavement.

Sport mode on all models effects the suspension as noted above. The 5.0 Ultimate also has the following feature:

MULTI-LINK SUSPENSION WITH AVAILABLE CONTINUOUS DAMPING CONTROL

The Genesis' suspension is continuously hard at work enhancing precision and control for the driver in real-time. An increase in rear lateral stiffness allows for more confident handling.
that's interesting! i knew i wasn't totally dreaming. :D does anyone know what is actually happening to stiffen up the ride on the base model when in sport mode?

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
that's interesting! i knew i wasn't totally dreaming. :D does anyone know what is actually happening to stiffen up the ride on the base model when in sport mode?
The "ride" doesn't actually stiffen. On the 3.8, only the steering response effort is increased a bit giving the impression of increased stiffness. Also, the trans holds the lower gears longer, too, also giving a feeling of more responsiveness.

CanukV6

Registered Member
The 3.8 V6 Models do not have adaptive suspension.
The SPORT Mode provides a faster throttle response, faster gear changes, holds gears to the redline in manual mode and stiffens the steering feel. On HTRAC models it also biases the power to the rear wheels.
I think what the OP was experiencing is the tighter feedback through the steering wheel. The ride is not affected except on 5.0 V8 Ultimate models that have adaptive shock-absorbers.

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Ok, after further investigation on there site, I found additional information and contradicts my initial finding. You have to read the fine print.

In the list of options for all models, all cars have the "Intelligent Drive Mode" as a standard feature.

Intelligent Drive Mode

Standard on every Genesis, this system monitors and modifies engine throttle response, transmission shift points, steering and suspension* to provide optimal performance in a variety of road conditions. Drivers have four modes to choose from: Eco for conserving fuel, Normal for comfort, Sport for dynamic driving and Snow for low-traction road conditions.

Note the * above next to the word "suspension" then read below. The suspension is only effected on the 5.0 Ultimate as someone on here already mentioned. Hyundai needs to clean up their paperwork to make it more consistent across the board.

Disclaimer:

*On 5.0 Ultimate only with CDC suspension.

Last edited:

TroyK

Registered Member
The 3.8 V6 Models do not have adaptive suspension.
The SPORT Mode provides a faster throttle response, faster gear changes, holds gears to the redline in manual mode and stiffens the steering feel. On HTRAC models it also biases the power to the rear wheels.
I think what the OP was experiencing is the tighter feedback through the steering wheel. The ride is not affected except on 5.0 V8 Ultimate models that have adaptive shock-absorbers.
i'm aware of all those changes when Sport mode is enabled, but i swear there is a change in ride quality too! can we get other HTRAC drivers to switch on Sport and see if they notice a difference in ride quality??

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
i'm aware of all those changes when Sport mode is enabled, but i swear there is a change in ride quality too! can we get other HTRAC drivers to switch on Sport and see if they notice a difference in ride quality??
It is very obvious when it changes, believe me. Take a look behind your wheels on the shocks, If you see a wired connection then yes you do have CDC, if not it is just that same as those guys that put a loud muffler on and swear it goes much faster. :D

ksoze

Registered Member
As was confirmed in the post above from Hyundai's website, the base car does not have an adjustable suspension, so any "feel" in Sport Mode is more likely from the changes in the throttle response, shift points and steering, all of which could contribute to the sense of a tighter car.

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
the point of the sport mode is to change the feeling of the car - seems like it successfully does that so regardless of the suspension actually changing or not you are getting the point of the experience. great cars!

boamot66

Hasn't posted much yet...
The other day i was out for a cruise around town and decided to check out Sport mode. I switched to said mode, and noticed within a few minutes that my steering got stiffer, and so did the suspension. I have a base model Genesis and did expect the stiffer steering feel, but was shocked that the suspension also seemed to stiffen up! Does the base model actually have adjustable dampers and/or shocks, or was I dreaming?? :confused:

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
When you change drive modes, does it show a little picture of the car on the infotainment screen that highlight the changes? My 5.0 Ultimate shows the steering wheel and shock towers turning red. Not sure if other models show it as well.

boamot66

Hasn't posted much yet...
I noticed the same on my 2015 - been driving it for four years in normal mode. Recently started having issues with "wandering" in my steering - both left and right - I switched over to sport mode and it made a HUGE difference - still not normal, but feels tighter and def. have more control! Dealership and myself are trying to figure out why my car suddenly started doing this. It's also sticking slightly when in a turn on the highway - kinda freaky alongside a semi and the steering sticks. Still digging into what's going on!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.