Sprint Booster for the 2015 Genesis 5.0

Thread starter #1

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Today I installed my Sprint Booster. The unit actually reduced the throttle by wire lag completely in all my drive modes. My ECO and NORMAL drive modes feel like my stock SPORT mode on the Sprint Booster RACE mode settings, actually they may be a bit more responsive than the stock SPORT mode. SPORT mode feels more like a RACE mode now with the Sprint booster set to RACE mode. The car is scary fast when using Sprint Booster Race mode while in the car's SPORT mode. Hell, NORMAL mode surprised me at first with the SPRINT BOOSTER set to RACE mode.

I actually now understand why Hyundai puts the gradual delay in the electronic throttle system, because the 5.0 engine is a real 420 hp beast when fully unleashed which could be very dangerous if the throttle was set this sensitive all the time. Gas mileage also take big hit in the wrong direction as well with Sprint Booster set to RACE mode. The Sprint Booster takes the leash off the engine initial output. Well worth the price for anyone that wants to make their 5.0 quicker without modifying the engine. :)

I also like that I can turn the Sprint Booster on and off with a simple press of a button.

I will give some more feedback and some acceleration tests as time goes.

Here is the Sprint Booster part number and box contents.

The installation is simple, just unplug the throttle connector and then plug the Sprint Booster inline between the gas pedal and throttle connector.

The Sprint Booster controller mounted. The controller has two modes-Sport(Green LED color) and Race(Red LED color) with 9 levels of settings. I just use level 9 on the RACE mode.

Last edited:
Thread starter #2

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Update! Well after driving the car in Sport mode with the Sprint booster in Race mode level 9 turned on for about a week I am very impressed with the car's performance while driving around town and on the highway.

I must say that the car stock throttle calibration is very restrained because the 5.0 engine has more potential than the stock throttle body setting is allowing. It seem like Hyundai has slowed the 5.0 down on purpose, because this car move like a 4 second 0-60 car with instant throttle response in any gear when the Genesis is set to Sport mode with the Sprint Booster. It pulls you back into the seat and then you are in triple digits before you know it.

I have owned a 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG that was tested by Car and Driver to do 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds which felt similar to how my Genesis performance before the Sprint Booster. With the Sprint Booster my Genesis feels more like the newer supercharged Mercedes V8 AMG engines on the road I have driven that do 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds.

The 2015 Genesis 5.0 is very very very quick with the Sprint Booster. Example, I easily out accelerated a 2015+ newer model Mustang GT on the open highway. To be honest if we started at a stand still the mustang would be faster due to launch control, but at speed the cars performed fairly the same with my car having the slight edge until we slowed down. The 2015+ Mustang GT is not slow(0-60 in about 4.2 seconds) especially if it can use its launch control. Luckily the Mustang GT I raced could not use launch control at highway speeds.;)

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Ah the legendary Snakeoil Booster....um I mean Sprint Booster.

Anyone who says the car makes "more power" with the SB has been bitten and is sadly mistaken.

It scientifically makes no more power. All this does is amplify the drive by wire signal to the throttle body. e.x. when you press the pedal 1/4 way down, the TB thinks it's pressed 1/2 way down. There is no power increase. None, nada, nothing. It's basically the same as pressing the pedal 1/2 way down when you only wanted to press it a 1/4 way down.

If you enjoy the result good for you. Just putting out the facts.

Thread starter #4

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Ah the legendary Snakeoil Booster....um I mean Sprint Booster.

Anyone who says the car makes "more power" with the SB has been bitten and is sadly mistaken.

It scientifically makes no more power. All this does is amplify the drive by wire signal to the throttle body. e.x. when you press the pedal 1/4 way down, the TB thinks it's pressed 1/2 way down. There is no power increase. None, nada, nothing. It's basically the same as pressing the pedal 1/2 way down when you only wanted to press it a 1/4 way down.

If you enjoy the result good for you. Just putting out the facts.
I agree that the Sprint Booster does not add or give the engine any more power than it already has available. I want to make that point clear.

The Sprint Booster only just allow full throttle input when it is normally restricted by a stock reprogrammed linear throttle opening that releases the engine power in a more gradual fashion based on speed,rpms, gear, etc. I really do not know the exact method Hyundai programmed the throttle to work, but the Sprint Booster just overrides it and give you wide open throttle input sooner as you mash the gas pedal.
The quicker acceleration comes from power being available sooner due to the throttle responsiveness. The same way the stock sport driving mode is more aggressively tuned than the normal drive mode, the Sprint booster just adds an Race mode that take away all the throttle delay.

So no power increase, just less governing on how it is released.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Observation: I did a quick 0-60mph run on a back road and noticed that my car does not even move until the rpms reach about 2k rpms due to the torque convertor stall when stumping the gas pedal from a stand still. However, after 2k rpms the torque convertor locks up and the car moves with a purpose. I timed myself at about 5 seconds, give or take, 0-60mph on a uphill curvy road with the Sprint Booster set to Race Mode. Actually, 0-60 took about 6 seconds if I count the 1 second delay it took to reach 2k rpm before the car actually moved. However, from the time the car actually start moving the time took about 5 seconds.

I could probably get a better time if I torque brake the engine to about 2k rpm and let off the gas, but that method usually shortens an automatic transmission's life so I tend not to do that often unless at the drag strip for better time-slips or to make some extra money.

I wished our cars had an launch control feature that hold rpms at about 2k rpm.:(

Note: I did do this test on a uphill road that curved left and right, so the time would have been better regardless the method used on a flat straight road or down hill.
I recorded a video to review the run but it is illegal to do such things in Georgia now with cellphones so I will not post it here.

Last edited:
Thread starter #7

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Note: I forgot that I actually had the auto brake hold when I did the 0-60 run mentioned earlier. Plus, I did not turnoff the traction control, so my 0-60 times would most likely would have been much quicker with those two features turned off. However, at the least I should have disengaged the auto brake hold feature before making the run.

dcrob95

Genesis Model Type
Any recorded 0-60 times? I watched a few YouTube videos, one said sprint booster in no way will make car faster, but will just seem to make it quicker. Another video a guy in a BMW logged 0-60 and he showed decent improvement.. I want to get a Bluetooth OBD device to do some 0-60 logs, maybe compare sport mode vs normal vs eco, just play around a little and see how I do. I bought a cheap one recently on eBay but it was doa, cheap POS, lol. I had a superchips tuner on my last vehicle that would log 0-60.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Save yourself $300 and spend time reading the link below. It's 100% a placebo effect. Same effect as pressing the pedal halfway down when you really only wanted to press it a 1/4 the way.

One of the key points I gleaned from it is you're really creating a dead spot at the upper end of the pedal travel. If the TB thinks 1/2 way down is full throttle (100%), what happens when you press it more than 1/2 way? Unless the laws of physics have changed, 100% is 100%. So pressing the pedal more than halfway down is doing absolutely nothing.

Sprint Booster – Is It Worth It?

Last edited:

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Save yourself $300 and spend time reading the link below. It's 100% a placebo effect. Same effect as pressing the pedal halfway down when you really only wanted to press it a 1/4 the way.

One of the key points I gleaned from it is you're really creating a dead spot at the upper end of the pedal travel. If the TB thinks 1/2 way down is full throttle (100%), what happens when you press it more than 1/2 way? Unless the laws of physics have changed, 100% is 100%. So pressing the pedal more than halfway down is doing absolutely nothing.

the problem with DBW engines is that if you push the throttle to 100% if the ecu doesnt see a need for being 100% open it might only open the actual throttle to 80%. Thats why sometimes on a tune on a n/a DBW engine you might only gain 10 whp but it will feel like 50 whp because it fixes the driveability which can make it feel faster.

I agree with you that these dont add any actual power to the wheels, zero gain. But it can fix a lit of driveablilty issues by making the throttle actually do what the pedal tells it to do and that can make it 'feel' faster and can give you better acceleration as the stock tune wont be 'babying' the actual throttle position. but true hp numbers will not increase in any way

And so it's clear I dont have a sprint booster and I dont plan on getting one. I would prefer to get a tune that will allow the throttle to match the pedal position while also optimizing timing and fueling table for a greater benefit.

Last edited:
Thread starter #11

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Any recorded 0-60 times? I watched a few YouTube videos, one said sprint booster in no way will make car faster, but will just seem to make it quicker. Another video a guy in a BMW logged 0-60 and he showed decent improvement.. I want to get a Bluetooth OBD device to do some 0-60 logs, maybe compare sport mode vs normal vs eco, just play around a little and see how I do. I bought a cheap one recently on eBay but it was doa, cheap POS, lol. I had a superchips tuner on my last vehicle that would log 0-60.
No, I have not taken the time to record actually 0-60 times for comparison. I have recorded a run with my phone, but I will not post it due to legality issues. I will do some runs at my local drag track when I get the time and see if the 1/4 time improve with the Sprint Booster. If I can find an affordable OBD module that can record 0-60 times I would try that also in the future, but I will not pay more than $20 just check my 0-60 times to post results on a forum.

Thread starter #12

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type

Exactly, the Sprint booster does not magically make any car run faster. It just opens the throttle to 100% quicker. How much more quicker depends on how the auto manufacturer adjusted the throttle signal to operate.

The article does a good job of explaining the concept of how a throttle module like Sprint Booster works, but it does not gives specifics on how the settings are calibrated from the factory by different automakers. Therefore, some auto models may have a more gradual throttle plate opening than another model which will affect the Sprint Booster effectiveness compared to stock.

The Genesis stock throttle opening settings is very conservative which make the 5.0 Genesis drive very smooth like a luxury sedan should, even in Sport mode. The Sprint booster opens the Genesis throttle plate too soon to 100% to be a pleasant drive around town without feathering the gas pedal to avoid running into the rear of another car in traffic. However, when I am in the mood to have some fun the Genesis moves like an damn 5.0 Mustang without much effort with the Sprint Booster.

Note: You are correct about not needing to press the throttle all the way down to reach 100% with the Sprint Booster. I can just press the throttle about 1/2 way and the engine just takeoff. Holding it all the way down just will take you well into triple digits speeds very quickly.:)

If you want some bragging rights with your Genesis then the Sprint Booster is well worth the $300. If you can care less about going faster from a stand still in your Genesis then save your money. Just my advice.

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Today I received my Konnwei brand Bluetooth OBD module that can record 0-60 times and other engine data using the Torque android app.

I installed the app on my old NVIDIA Shield gaming tablet so that I can do some 0-60mph testing and take pictures as well.

I am not sure about how accurate the the times will be on the app, but I can at least compare acceleration times with the Sprint Booster on and with it turned off to see if the car actually accelerates quicker with Sprint booster compared to stock.

The Module.

The Torque app

MR.KMAN33

Hasn't posted much yet...
DALLAS,TX
I've been looking for something like the data recorder that you have, do you have a link or anything where I can get me one. God bless. Oh can I pick your brain on the sprint booster, I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks again.

Thread starter #15

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I've been looking for something like the data recorder that you have, do you have a link or anything where I can get me one. God bless. Oh can I pick your brain on the sprint booster, I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks again.
I bought my Bluetooth OBD module from Ebay for about $30. Just do a search for "Bluetooth OBD" in the Ebay search box. You can download the Torque app from the Android app store. However, you will have to pay $5 for the pro version of the app to do data logging and acceleration test.

What questions do you have about the Sprint Booster?

2015Gen5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I agree that the Sprint Booster does not add or give the engine any more power than it already has available. I want to make that point clear.

The Sprint Booster only just allow full throttle input when it is normally restricted by a stock reprogrammed linear throttle opening that releases the engine power in a more gradual fashion based on speed,rpms, gear, etc. I really do not know the exact method Hyundai programmed the throttle to work, but the Sprint Booster just overrides it and give you wide open throttle input sooner as you mash the gas pedal.
The quicker acceleration comes from power being available sooner due to the throttle responsiveness. The same way the stock sport driving mode is more aggressively tuned than the normal drive mode, the Sprint booster just adds an Race mode that take away all the throttle delay.

So no power increase, just less governing on how it is released.
How much does SB pay you? Or did the sponsor you for some write ups?

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
All mfgs use some form or torque management in lower gears, mainly to mitigate stress on the transmission. The throttle body valve operates independently from your accelerator pedal. The connection between the accelerator pedal and throttle body is electrical. Typically, a low rpm "full stomp" in first, second gear does not extend to lineally to the throttle body.
What Sprint Booster does is a simple override of this oem throttle delay. It does not increase top horsepower, but getting there is much quicker.
Sprint Booster is a "performance enhancer", not a power increaser.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.