• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Squirrelly handling on icy roads

G-677669

We’ve had some nasty winter weather here in Minnesota lately and it’s my first winter with my Ultimate 3.8 AWD. I’ve noticed when driving on partially ice covered roads (right tires on scattered ice, left on dry pavement) that the car feels squirrelly when cruising along at 30 mph. It will actually try to fishtail continually and turn the car slightly towards the oncloming lane. I’ve been driving rear wheel and 4x4 vehicles for years and this is my first AWD. Is this normal for an AWD vehicle or could there be something wrong with my AWD or Traction Control? The car drives like it’s on rails on dry pavement and has almost new Perrelli Cinturanto P7’s on it.

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine was crazy to drive with all season MX4 Primacy's. But now that I have put on a set of Yokohama winter tires, it sticks like crazy.
I think the rear-wheel drive bias add's to the shifty nature in icy conditions. In snow, the all season tires did fine, even though the tread was over half worn. Snow tires make a world of difference on rear drive bias cars.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
We’ve had some nasty winter weather here in Minnesota lately and it’s my first winter with my Ultimate 3.8 AWD. I’ve noticed when driving on partially ice covered roads (right tires on scattered ice, left on dry pavement) that the car feels squirrelly when cruising along at 30 mph. It will actually try to fishtail continually and turn the car slightly towards the oncloming lane. I’ve been driving rear wheel and 4x4 vehicles for years and this is my first AWD. Is this normal for an AWD vehicle or could there be something wrong with my AWD or Traction Control? The car drives like it’s on rails on dry pavement and has almost new Perrelli Cinturanto P7’s on it.
Crappy tires for ice is your problem. Even with AWD, all season tires do not grip well on ice. Better, than summer tires, but not as good as true winter tires. If I lived in an area with "real" winters, I would just purchase summer tires and a set of winter tires if I did not have a back-up truck/SUV to use.

crizzlec

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mine was crazy to drive with all season MX4 Primacy's. But now that I have put on a set of Yokohama winter tires, it sticks like crazy.
I think the rear-wheel drive bias add's to the shifty nature in icy conditions. In snow, the all season tires did fine, even though the tread was over half worn. Snow tires make a world of difference on rear drive bias cars.

Can confirm, as the MX4 Primacy's are what I have on now and they are hot garbage in snow and ice.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Crappy tires for ice is your problem. Even with AWD, all season tires do not grip well on ice. Better, than summer tires, but not as good as true winter tires. If I lived in an area with "real" winters, I would just purchase summer tires and a set of winter tires if I did not have a back-up truck/SUV to use.
Ice is a great equalizer. Anything can slide. My tire guy recommend Nokian WRG3 tires as they have a true snow rating, yet can ride all summer as well. I had them on two different cars and they were excellent. Supposedly designed for use in North America.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Ice is a great equalizer. Anything can slide. My tire guy recommend Nokian WRG3 tires as they have a true snow rating, yet can ride all summer as well. I had them on two different cars and they were excellent. Supposedly designed for use in North America.
Well, I just learned about a new product; All weather tires! Never knew they existed until now. The Swiss army knives of tires it seems or better yet all terrain tires for cars. Interesting.

yepvegas

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have used two sets of Nokian Tires my first set was the WRG3's and my second set was WRG4's and they were amazing and held up for 40k miles. But unfortunately they do not have a size that will fit my G80 :(

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Short of a set of ice tires, anything will slide on ice. So not sure what kind of handling yall are expecting out of a set of all season tires on ice.

MNgen

Registered Member
Minneapolis
Have a 2015 AWD, live west of Minneapolis and have been enjoying -30F lows with lots of snow and bad ice. Had the exact same problem running all season tires. With the RH tires on packed ice and LH tires on semi-dry pavement the vehicle sometimes feels like it wants to spin out. A month ago it got squirrely on me with a semi-truck approaching from the opposite direction. Scary. Went to Discount Tire the next day and bought Michelin X-ice winter tires. Problem solved, it chews through deep snow and no more squirrely driving issues.

Velvetsmack

Registered Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Genesis Model Type
+1 For the Michelin X-Ice. I have these on two other cars and they're a must for Canadian winters (just got a dump of 2 feet yesterday here in Ottawa). What I'll be interested in understanding is if I notice a marked improvement with these tires and AWD, which my other vehicles do not have..

Skeezix

Registered Member
Glad to see other Genesis owners in Minnesota!

I am moving from Houston to Minneapolis in June, and looking to get a G80. However, I'm not sure if I need HTRAC or not? Can I get by with a RWD 3.8 if I have a good set of winter tires? If the answer is no, then will the standard HTRAC all-season tires work well?

I hate to get AWD if I don't need it, but I'm looking for some advice on those living in the frigid north.
Ill be home based, and won't be required to drive if conditions are unsafe. My job will require me driving about 25K to 35K miles a year in Minnesota as well as Iowa.

Looking for advice please!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Glad to see other Genesis owners in Minnesota!

I am moving from Houston to Minneapolis in June, and looking to get a G80. However, I'm not sure if I need HTRAC or not? Can I get by with a RWD 3.8 if I have a good set of winter tires? If the answer is no, then will the standard HTRAC all-season tires work well?

I hate to get AWD if I don't need it, but I'm looking for some advice on those living in the frigid north.
Ill be home based, and won't be required to drive if conditions are unsafe. My job will require me driving about 25K to 35K miles a year in Minnesota as well as Iowa.

Looking for advice please!
I loved HTRAC when I drove in CT and MA, especially on hills. Cars would be slipping and sliding and I'd just chug along in a straight line except where I had to go around them.

If the land is flat, not needed as much. If ice, nothing works except staying home. For me, in snow territory it is a must to have AWD.
See my note above about Nokian tires.

Skeezix

Registered Member
In my experience, a Honda civic with dedicated winter tires will drive circles around any AWD/4X4 with all seasons. Thus, it's the tires that make the car. However, I've not owned a G80 and haven't played around with them in the snow. I will say the 2017 3.8 RWD I drove today was amazingly well balanced.

MNgen

Registered Member
Minneapolis
Agree 100% that winter tires rule over all seasons. And you could get by in a Minnesota winter with a RWD G80 if you can slow down and take it easy when it's bad out. But you're giving up a lot in safety and acceleration during the winter months without AWD. You have to decide.

Skeezix

Registered Member
Agree 100% that winter tires rule over all seasons. And you could get by in a Minnesota winter with a RWD G80 if you can slow down and take it easy when it's bad out. But you're giving up a lot in safety and acceleration during the winter months without AWD. You have to decide.

Roger that. Looks like I'll be getting an HTRAC model. I'm looking for a 2017/2018 3.8 Ultimate w/ HTRAC. Those things are very rare it would seem.

Any tips on how best to locate one? Autotrader is the only thing I know to use.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Roger that. Looks like I'll be getting an HTRAC model. I'm looking for a 2017/2018 3.8 Ultimate w/ HTRAC. Those things are very rare it would seem.

Any tips on how best to locate one? Autotrader is the only thing I know to use.
There is one in my garage. You probably won't see them down south but fairly common up north.