Squirrelly handling on icy roads

G-677669

We’ve had some nasty winter weather here in Minnesota lately and it’s my first winter with my Ultimate 3.8 AWD. I’ve noticed when driving on partially ice covered roads (right tires on scattered ice, left on dry pavement) that the car feels squirrelly when cruising along at 30 mph. It will actually try to fishtail continually and turn the car slightly towards the oncloming lane. I’ve been driving rear wheel and 4x4 vehicles for years and this is my first AWD. Is this normal for an AWD vehicle or could there be something wrong with my AWD or Traction Control? The car drives like it’s on rails on dry pavement and has almost new Perrelli Cinturanto P7’s on it.

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine was crazy to drive with all season MX4 Primacy's. But now that I have put on a set of Yokohama winter tires, it sticks like crazy.
I think the rear-wheel drive bias add's to the shifty nature in icy conditions. In snow, the all season tires did fine, even though the tread was over half worn. Snow tires make a world of difference on rear drive bias cars.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
We’ve had some nasty winter weather here in Minnesota lately and it’s my first winter with my Ultimate 3.8 AWD. I’ve noticed when driving on partially ice covered roads (right tires on scattered ice, left on dry pavement) that the car feels squirrelly when cruising along at 30 mph. It will actually try to fishtail continually and turn the car slightly towards the oncloming lane. I’ve been driving rear wheel and 4x4 vehicles for years and this is my first AWD. Is this normal for an AWD vehicle or could there be something wrong with my AWD or Traction Control? The car drives like it’s on rails on dry pavement and has almost new Perrelli Cinturanto P7’s on it.
Crappy tires for ice is your problem. Even with AWD, all season tires do not grip well on ice. Better, than summer tires, but not as good as true winter tires. If I lived in an area with "real" winters, I would just purchase summer tires and a set of winter tires if I did not have a back-up truck/SUV to use.

crizzlec

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mine was crazy to drive with all season MX4 Primacy's. But now that I have put on a set of Yokohama winter tires, it sticks like crazy.
I think the rear-wheel drive bias add's to the shifty nature in icy conditions. In snow, the all season tires did fine, even though the tread was over half worn. Snow tires make a world of difference on rear drive bias cars.

Can confirm, as the MX4 Primacy's are what I have on now and they are hot garbage in snow and ice.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Ice is a great equalizer. Anything can slide. My tire guy recommend Nokian WRG3 tires as they have a true snow rating, yet can ride all summer as well. I had them on two different cars and they were excellent. Supposedly designed for use in North America.
Well, I just learned about a new product; All weather tires! Never knew they existed until now. The Swiss army knives of tires it seems or better yet all terrain tires for cars. Interesting.

yepvegas

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ice is a great equalizer. Anything can slide. My tire guy recommend Nokian WRG3 tires as they have a true snow rating, yet can ride all summer as well. I had them on two different cars and they were excellent. Supposedly designed for use in North America.
I have used two sets of Nokian Tires my first set was the WRG3's and my second set was WRG4's and they were amazing and held up for 40k miles. But unfortunately they do not have a size that will fit my G80 :(

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Short of a set of ice tires, anything will slide on ice. So not sure what kind of handling yall are expecting out of a set of all season tires on ice.

MNgen

Registered Member
Minneapolis
Have a 2015 AWD, live west of Minneapolis and have been enjoying -30F lows with lots of snow and bad ice. Had the exact same problem running all season tires. With the RH tires on packed ice and LH tires on semi-dry pavement the vehicle sometimes feels like it wants to spin out. A month ago it got squirrely on me with a semi-truck approaching from the opposite direction. Scary. Went to Discount Tire the next day and bought Michelin X-ice winter tires. Problem solved, it chews through deep snow and no more squirrely driving issues.

Velvetsmack

Ottawa, Ontario
Genesis Model Type
+1 For the Michelin X-Ice. I have these on two other cars and they're a must for Canadian winters (just got a dump of 2 feet yesterday here in Ottawa). What I'll be interested in understanding is if I notice a marked improvement with these tires and AWD, which my other vehicles do not have..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.