• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2.0T Start/Stop Failed? G70 2.0

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone experienced any issues with the start/stop feature? I was on the interstate on Sat and came to a stop due to traffic and the engine shut down and would not restart when I took my foot off the brake - the green circle icon was still illuminated and I did not have the auto hold brake on. It finally started back up after about a minute. I had to turn the car off, and it didn't restart until I pushed the start button about 30 times.

Once it fired back up I hit the button to disable the start/stop and drove to the 1st parking lot I could find. Shut the car off, and tried to restart. This time it took 10 min to start back up and after that it's been fine the past 2 days. It's at the dealer now, and they can't find the issue - or get the issue to repeat itself. Just wondering if I'm the only one this has happened to.

At least the dealer was nice enough to put me a Kona with huge Hyundai dealer logos on the doors while my Genesis is not in my possession. I think I looked like less of an idiot while I was sitting motionless on I-94.

Thanks,
Joe

2019 Genesis G70 2.0T 5500 miles

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It sounds like you're the 3rd person on this forum to have this problem, if I'm counting correctly.

I hope the dealer is able to fix it.. It sounds dangerous. ☹

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the quick replies and link - much appreciated. I wish I got pics or a video of the situation, but I had my 11 mo old in the back seat and I was frantically trying to get the thing started before we got killed.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the quick replies and link - much appreciated. I wish I got pics or a video of the situation, but I had my 11 mo old in the back seat and I was frantically trying to get thing started before we got killed.
Totally understandable. I would have done the same. I'm glad you guys made it out safely!

Perhaps now you'll be able to better anticipate it, and maybe you could record a video of it if/when it happens again.

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yup, same issue as that link above. Hopefully I’ll have better luck than him, but even if this gets fixed it’s going to be hard to fully trust the car again.

Side note - I can vouch for his experience with Patrick Hyndai/Genesis in Schaumburg, IL. I bought a 2015 Equus from there last year and have nothing good to say about the dealership. I actually liked the sales guy M.S., but the service dept/management is a complete joke. I didn’t even consider them when looking at the G70 and never will buy from any Patrick dealership again.

Again, much appreciated. Sorry for posting a repeat issue - I did search before posting but couldn’t find anything.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I knew I remembered a third but I couldn’t find the post. They almost need to be a sticky for the 2.0 guys at this point
Besides the auto start stop feature bugging out and the potential engine fires from Hyundai's other 2L 4 cylinder turbos, is there anything else? Could this issue be avoided by turning off auto start stop on every start? Just looking to get a 2.0T and I want to make a good decision.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yup, same issue as that link above. Hopefully I’ll have better luck than him, but even if this gets fixed it’s going to be hard to fully trust the car again.

Side note - I can vouch for his experience with Patrick Hyndai/Genesis in Schaumburg, IL. I bought a 2015 Equus from there last year and have nothing good to say about the dealership. I actually liked the sales guy M.S., but the service dept/management is a complete joke. I didn’t even consider them when looking at the G70 and never will buy from any Patrick dealership again.

Again, much appreciated. Sorry for posting a repeat issue - I did search before posting but couldn’t find anything.

No need to apologise. I think Genesis needs to be fully aware of this issue as it doesn't just seem like a one-off fluke, not to mention very dangerous. The more documented evidence of this problem the better, I think.

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Besides the auto start stop feature bugging out and the potential engine fires from Hyundai's other 2L 4 cylinder turbos, is there anything else? Could this issue be avoided by turning off auto start stop on every start? Just looking to get a 2.0T and I want to make a good decision.
I turn the auto stop/start feature off on my 2.0t every time I drive the car. You can wedge something in the button to make it stay off permanently but I chose not to do that. I just start the car and then hit the button out of habit now.

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would turn it off immediately, but on my vehicle at least, you can't deactivate it by pushing the button until the conditions are met for the system to work (engine temp, battery, incline, etc.). Once the light on the button turns off, I can push it to deactivate the system, but if I push it while it is initially illuminated it will still activate once the conditions are met. Until now, it was just a slight annoyance. If I have to rig a button to prevent my car from putting me in danger, I made a bad purchase decision. I shouldn't have to do this.

The dealer is still stumped and I'm getting a nice case of buyer's remorse.

One other thing I just thought of... When the start/stop actually functions correctly, I notice a little light flicker with my headlights. I assumed that was normal (and annoying) just due to the momentary increase in battery draw. I thought I'd just check if others experience that too, or if that could be a symptom of a faulty system...

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would turn it off immediately, but on my vehicle at least, you can't deactivate it by pushing the button until the conditions are met for the system to work (engine temp, battery, incline, etc.). Once the light on the button turns off, I can push it to deactivate the system, but if I push it while it is initially illuminated it will still activate once the conditions are met. Until now, it was just a slight annoyance. If I have to rig a button to prevent my car from putting me in danger, I made a bad purchase decision. I shouldn't have to do this.

The dealer is still stumped and I'm getting a nice case of buyer's remorse.

One other thing I just thought of... When the start/stop actually functions correctly, I notice a little light flicker with my headlights. I assumed that was normal (and annoying) just due to the momentary increase in battery draw. I thought I'd just check if others experience that too, or if that could be a symptom of a faulty system...
Is your car a 2019 or a 2020? Mine is a 2019 and by default the system is active as soon as I crank the car up. The light on my button only comes on when I deactivate the system. I wonder if they changed the way it works or what?

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2019. Maybe mine acts differently because it is broken.
So I went to the owners manual to read up on the system. The situation with your lights is normal, according to the owners manual. It says in the manual that the system is always active when the engine is running. To deactivate it, all you have to do is start the car, let it idle for a few seconds and then push the button down by the shifter. When the system is deactivated, the light on the button will illuminate. There are no other prerequisites to deactivate the system. If your car is doing something else, then your ISG (Integrated Stop and Go) system is malfunctioning. maybe that will help your dealer troubleshoot the problem.

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I went to the owners manual to read up on the system. The situation with your lights is normal, according to the owners manual. It says in the manual that the system is always active when the engine is running. To deactivate it, all you have to do is start the car, let it idle for a few seconds and then push the button down by the shifter. When the system is deactivated, the light on the button will illuminate. There are no other prerequisites to deactivate the system. If your car is doing something else, then your ISG (Integrated Stop and Go) system is malfunctioning. maybe that will help your dealer troubleshoot the problem.

Here is what the manual says about the prerequisites to activate the ISG:

Prerequisite for activation
The ISG system operates in the following situations. - The driver's seatbelt is fastened. - The driver's door and the hood are closed. - The brake vacuum pressure is adequate. - The battery is sufficiently charged. - The outside temperature is between 14 °F and 95 °F (-10 °C and 35 °C). - The engine coolant temperature is not too low. - The system is not in the diagnostic mode.

Information • The ISG system is not activated, when the prerequisites to activate the ISG system are unsatisfied. In this case, the ISG OFF button indicator illuminates, and the auto stop indicator ( ) illuminates in yellow on the instrument cluster

Maybe here in WI the coolant takes a little longer than where you are to get up to the necessary temperature before the indicator light turns off. Maybe not. Either way, my light definitely stays on for way more than a few seconds before I can manually turn off the ISG. I did call the dealer and inquire about this, and they said that everything appears to be working correctly, and they still cannot replicate the problem.

They said they are now inspecting the electrical system, which leads me to believe that they're setting up to tell me that they found a loose connection...

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the dash until the yellow light turns off, then make sure to hit the button before I come to a stop.

Or just not wear my seat belt ever again /s

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here is what the manual says about the prerequisites to activate the ISG:

Prerequisite for activation
The ISG system operates in the following situations. - The driver's seatbelt is fastened. - The driver's door and the hood are closed. - The brake vacuum pressure is adequate. - The battery is sufficiently charged. - The outside temperature is between 14 °F and 95 °F (-10 °C and 35 °C). - The engine coolant temperature is not too low. - The system is not in the diagnostic mode.

Information • The ISG system is not activated, when the prerequisites to activate the ISG system are unsatisfied. In this case, the ISG OFF button indicator illuminates, and the auto stop indicator ( ) illuminates in yellow on the instrument cluster

Maybe here in WI the coolant takes a little longer than where you are to get up to the necessary temperature before the indicator light turns off. Maybe not. Either way, my light definitely stays on for way more than a few seconds before I can manually turn off the ISG. I did call the dealer and inquire about this, and they said that everything appears to be working correctly, and they still cannot replicate the problem.

They said they are now inspecting the electrical system, which leads me to believe that they're setting up to tell me that they found a loose connection...

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the dash until the yellow light turns off, then make sure to hit the button before I come to a stop.

Or just not wear my seat belt ever again /s
I think you are confusing whether the system is on and what causes it to activate while driving. In any case, I know that when I get in my car every day, the first thing I do after starting my engine is reach down and push the ISG Off button. The light on the button comes on and then I will shift in to gear and drive. As long as that light on the button is on, the ISG system will never activate while driving and I will never see the auto stop indicator (in green or yellow) on my dash. There are numerous posts and videos that confirm this. Either way I hope you get your issue resolved. Situations like what happened to you are why I never use the ISG system on my car.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can turn it off within a few seconds of starting the car. No need to wait till your first stop!

JPD

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I stopped by the dealership today to grab my sunglasses out of the car and figured I'd start it up and see. It took 2 min 18 seconds for the light to turn off before I would have been able to turn off the system. I turned the car off and back on, then the light turned off in about 3 seconds. It was 41 degrees when I initially started it up, so it looks to me that it took 2 min 18 sec for the coolant to get up to temp, and since it was already warm when I started it up the 2nd time, the light on the button went off very quickly. It would be nice if I could turn it off right away or deactivate it completely, but I'd settle for just having my new car work as it should.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I stopped by the dealership today to grab my sunglasses out of the car and figured I'd start it up and see. It took 2 min 18 seconds for the light to turn off before I would have been able to turn off the system. I turned the car off and back on, then the light turned off in about 3 seconds. It was 41 degrees when I initially started it up, so it looks to me that it took 2 min 18 sec for the coolant to get up to temp, and since it was already warm when I started it up the 2nd time, the light on the button went off very quickly. It would be nice if I could turn it off right away or deactivate it completely, but I'd settle for just having my new car work as it should.
Dude what are you going on about?
You don't need to wait for any light to go on to turn it off.
Turn on the car, and within a few seconds just press the button and it will light up to indicate it is turned off!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums