Start-up Nag Screen on Nav Display

bufub

Registered Member
Northern VA
Does anyone have a hack or mod to get rid of the "nag" screen from the lawyers on the navigation display? I'm tired of the two-step startup: Press ignition, bump controller.

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Give it a few weeks and you won't even notice it anymore.

This May will be 2 years with my Genny. It's almost pure reflex now when I get into the car...sit down...buckle up...push start...tap the DIS knob...drop it into "D" and drive away.

CenTexan

Getting familiar with the group...
Texas
Give it a few weeks and you won't even notice it anymore.

This May will be 2 years with my Genny. It's almost pure reflex now when I get into the car...sit down...buckle up...push start...tap the DIS knob...drop it into "D" and drive away.
It's been 5 months and I still hit the DIS with a bit of irritation. Guess I need a few more weeks, eh?

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I've gotten used to hitting the controller, so it doesn't bother me much, though would prefer not to have to. I wonder if anyone's ever successfully argued in court that they weren't liable for an accident because there was no warning that watching the screen while driving could be distracting? Makes me wonder why there's no warning on other potential distractions, including the instrument cluster displays and annoying passengers. :)

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Two cases come to mind:

- There was a woman struck while walking down the center of the road, because GPS walking directions from Google "told her to do so."

- There was a man that almost drover over a cliff while offroading in a BMW car because GPS "told him to do so."

If people are this stupid (and I believe they are), then the warning is necessary. Bear in mind that warnings such as this usually come about as the result of some action. In other words, someone likely already sued because they were watching the GPS in their car instead of watching the road, hence the warning.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Two cases come to mind:

- There was a woman struck while walking down the center of the road, because GPS walking directions from Google "told her to do so."

- There was a man that almost drover over a cliff while offroading in a BMW car because GPS "told him to do so."

If people are this stupid (and I believe they are), then the warning is necessary. Bear in mind that warnings such as this usually come about as the result of some action. In other words, someone likely already sued because they were watching the GPS in their car instead of watching the road, hence the warning.
I know that in our litigious society there's zero likelihood of getting Hyundai to remove the warning, just as there's no chance of removing similar warnings from other products. However, I don't think that these warnings do much, if anything, to prevent injury. They're just there because the lawyers say they have to be.

MHT

Been here awhile...
Once you accept the I agree on the Lexus LS460 Nav screen it does not come up again and this was also the same with the last Cadillac DTS that I had so I really do not understand why Hyundai can not do the same. I contacted Hyundai and spoke with them about this and was told that it would be looked into. May be if we are lucky sometime soon there will be a map update that will allow us to do the same.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
However, I don't think that these warnings do much, if anything, to prevent injury. They're just there because the lawyers say they have to be.
Oh, don't get me wrong... I completely agree. The warnings don't do anything except they are necessary to avoid a lawsuit that starts with "the manufacturer didn't warn me..."

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Once you accept the I agree on the Lexus LS460 Nav screen it does not come up again and this was also the same with the last Cadillac DTS that I had so I really do not understand why Hyundai can not do the same. I contacted Hyundai and spoke with them about this and was told that it would be looked into. May be if we are lucky sometime soon there will be a map update that will allow us to do the same.
If original owner agrees and nav nag is gone then what happens with the second and third owners etc. Who resets it and what if you sell the car yourself, would you be liable for the nag screen not showing safety warning if you turned it off? I think I understand the reason for the screen everytime.

Last edited:

MHT

Been here awhile...
If original owner agress and nav nag is gone then what happens with the second and third owners etc. Who resets it and what if you sell the car yourself, would you be liable for the nag screen not showing safety warning if you turned it off? I think I understand the reason for the screen everytime.
Correction......
The info came on the screen for a few seconds than went away without you hitting I agree. It did this every time you started the car so you always saw the warning.

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Two cases come to mind:

I'm reminded of the line where Forrest Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does". I, like ifonline, believe that there are people who are this stupid. I also believe that all the warnings in the world won't cure them of their stupidity or save them from their stupidity. Sometimes Darwinian natural selection is the best solution. I would like to meet the individual who was the root cause of the warning in the owner's manual of steam irons...WARNING! Do not iron clothing while wearing them.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I'm reminded of the line where Forrest Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does". I, like ifonline, believe that there are people who are this stupid. I also believe that all the warnings in the world won't cure them of their stupidity or save them from their stupidity. Sometimes Darwinian natural selection is the best solution. I would like to meet the individual who was the root cause of the warning in the owner's manual of steam irons...WARNING! Do not iron clothing while wearing them.
Here's a better one that I saw on a bottle of non-prescription sedatives: "Warning: May cause drowsiness." Actually, if the pills don't cause drowsiness, they're not working.

murphylbka

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
looking for assistance to see if there is a setting to not have the navigation show on the display screen at each start up. I would rather not have the navigation show unless I want it and then I can push the Nav button. I am fine with just the radio showing, but on top of hitting the Nag button, then I am hitting the Radio button so the navigation goes away.. :(

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
looking for assistance to see if there is a setting to not have the navigation show on the display screen at each start up. I would rather not have the navigation show unless I want it and then I can push the Nav button. I am fine with just the radio showing, but on top of hitting the Nag button, then I am hitting the Radio button so the navigation goes away.. :(
Nag screen comes on no matter what you do.

Do you leave the radio on? Mine goes right to the XM screen as it is already on and playing.