Starting car if fob battery is dead

Steve Pickard

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
has anyone had their fob battery die on them. If so, how can you start it without the fob.
Is it wise to keep an extra battery in the glove box.

How long does a battery last

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Car doesn't have a fob holder somewhere near dash to plug in dead fob so car starts? My old 2009 Genesis did.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
has anyone had their fob battery die on them. If so, how can you start it without the fob.
Is it wise to keep an extra battery in the glove box.

How long does a battery last
Hold the fob in contact with the button. Battery should last 1 to 2 years. You should also get a low battery warning too.

Steve Pickard

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks Ed. You are a good resource. So if I understand you correctly, I simply put the fob onto the start/ stop button and the car will start up. Even though the battery is dead.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks Ed. You are a good resource. So if I understand you correctly, I simply put the fob onto the start/ stop button and the car will start up. Even though the battery is dead.
Correct. There is some electro magnetic magic that happens.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Check the manual about using the blade key in the fob in case fob does not work door lock. Try it ahead of an emergency. Another fob battery in the car is perhaps a bit more than most would do but if you have had it happen once then you might appreciate the satisfaction of knowing your options.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think our FOBs have a RFID built in and those don’t need power to function. When you place the FOB next to the start button, the car can read the RFID so when you press the button it will start.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums