Stay with CPO?

Thread starter #1

giantshark18

Hasn't posted much yet...
CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm wondering if the folks on here could give input on whether they think I should go CPO if looking at 2015 Genesis? I want to get a 5.0 with the ultimate package, but there are very few CPOs of these available. In addition, none are located remotely close to the Bay area.

So the second question is, would you ever buy a car without driving it first and have it shipped? We did this for a minivan through CarMax and it worked out, but it also only had seven thousand miles on it.

My last question was going to be around whether the ultimate package outweighs Android auto. I see another thread was posted on this today and it seems like most recommend ultimate.

Thank you for your assistance.

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Q1 - I bought a ultimate 3.8 few months ago , and it was CPO . I would not want to take risk on a non cpo - since i am seeing small issues since day 1 . They are generally minor , but i would not want to spend money on them .

The HUD is the best feature. The real wood is nice , the leather seats are better. I additionally use the collision warning system , adaptive cruise control and parking assist a lot . The only feature i did not end up using a lot was lane assist - dont feel confident leaving the steering .

Q2 - risky. Given a 3 - 4 year car and you're spending over 25k

Q3 - I dont miss the android auto. Additionally the maps (navigation) on Ultimate are very expensive . I see the USB Drive for $175 from Hyundai . I think the other spec genesis gets the maps updates for free.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm wondering if the folks on here could give input on whether they think I should go CPO if looking at 2015 Genesis? I want to get a 5.0 with the ultimate package, but there are very few CPOs of these available. In addition, none are located remotely close to the Bay area.

So the second question is, would you ever buy a car without driving it first and have it shipped? We did this for a minivan through CarMax and it worked out, but it also only had seven thousand miles on it.

My last question was going to be around whether the ultimate package outweighs Android auto. I see another thread was posted on this today and it seems like most recommend ultimate.

Thank you for your assistance.
I'd go with a non-CPO if it was low miles and really good price.
Same applies to not driving it first, but with some sort of guarantee it is turns out to be a POS when delivered.

I tried Android Auto a couple of time. I just don't see the big deal about it. Opinions differ, but IMO, why buy a Genesis if you don't get the Ultimate? I really like the HUD, the nicer seats, the other goodies that make the Ultimate experience ultimately good. If I had to get the base model, I'd have stayed with the Sonata Limited.

Last edited:

jkeck

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Q1 - I bought a ultimate 3.8 few months ago , and it was CPO . I would not want to take risk on a non cpo - since i am seeing small issues since day 1 . They are generally minor , but i would not want to spend money on them .

The HUD is the best feature. The real wood is nice , the leather seats are better. I additionally use the collision warning system , adaptive cruise control and parking assist a lot . The only feature i did not end up using a lot was lane assist - dont feel confident leaving the steering .

Q2 - risky. Given a 3 - 4 year car and you're spending over 25k

Q3 - I dont miss the android auto. Additionally the maps (navigation) on Ultimate are very expensive . I see the USB Drive for $175 from Hyundai . I think the other spec genesis gets the maps updates for free.
I got a CPO 3.8 AWD Ultimate a few months ago and would strongly suggest going the CPO route if at all possible. I think the Ultimate package far outweighs the android auto and agree the HUD is really cool (didn't think I would even care for it) and the real wood plus nicer leather seats give the car a real premium look.

I'd be most worried about how the car looked, scratches, etc., if buying without seeing/driving it first. If it was CPO at least anything mechanically wrong you know would be fixed.

Would you consider getting the 3.8 to open up more options?

J Dixon

Genesis Model Type
A few months ago, I bought a 2015 5.0 Ultimate that was CPO. Overall, I thought the price was well worth it. For instance, the car came with new tires, staggered 19" Continental ProContact TX (I think the OEM tire). Two VERY minor scratches (will get the Dr ColorChip and fix those myself), but otherwise an almost perfect condition car, freshly serviced. I also bought the Platinum Extended Warranty from Hyundai which, I believe, was in part only possible because the car was CPO.

CarMax, etc., were listing similar mileage Ultimate 5.0's around the same price. I got the dealership down a bit (repeat customer), and even with the extended warranty, the price was very close...actually a bit better. Add all the value and piece of mind for the CPO program and I feel it is money well spent. Car2.jpg

Last edited:

Aurally

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
I bought mine 3.8 CPO, and I think there is a strong case for it. It's not related to the certification process, but due the lease return process. Once a lease vehicle is brought back to be auctioned off, Hyundai dealers get dibs for a certain time period. Then, Hyundai family dealers (like Kia) can also bid. Lastly, it will be released to some wholesale dealer network. Needless to say, the best samples get snatched up and converted to CPO to maximize profit, even if they need to be shipped across the continent. This is also why CPOs are hard to come by in certain regions. There are certain dealers who watch the marketplace every week, and bid on them knowing that they can turn it around. If you check the Hyundai CPO website, you will find several CPO cars clustered among few dealers. I bought mine from First Hyundai here in Massachusetts, and they were getting 3.8 AWD models as far as Indiana and Oregon, and will keep up to 3 in inventory. Another dealer had a 5.0 non-CPO at the time, and it was clear it couldn't be certified as it had a significant accident record with body damage.

Because of that, I think it is prudent to presume any non CPO are non CPO for a reason. The reason may be totally ok for you, but one should make the extra effort to do this detective work.

I would also consider buying blind from these high volume CPO dealers without test driving, not because I trust their certification process, but because they are the "cleanest" vehicles available in terms of their carfax and maintenance records. As for cosmetics, you can always ask them to take a few more pictures.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
I'd go with a non-CPO if it was low miles and really good price.
Same applies to not driving it first, but with some sort of guarantee it is turns out to be a POS when delivered.

I tried Android Auto a couple of time. I just don't see the big deal about it. Opinions differ, but IMO, why buy a Genesis if you don't get the Ultimate? I really like the HUD, the nicer seats, the other goodies that make the Ultimate experience ultimately good. If I had to get the base model, I'd have stayed with the Sonata Limited.
AA is an awesome upgrade to the standard software that is offered on any car (that offers it).

I like being able to ask Google to turn on the house lights, play a song on Spotify etc. I also much prefer using the Google Maps since as you know getting a new map from Hyundai is costly and can be outdated. I love that I can display the map right on my cars screen.

Does the Ultimate offer AWD? I love having AWD since we get enough bad weather to make good use of it. Rear wheel drive is HORRIBLE to use. I had it in my 2009 Genesis and it was down right scary to drive during even the smallest winter storm. I'll take AWD over some of the other perks any day of the week.

jkeck

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
AA is an awesome upgrade to the standard software that is offered on any car (that offers it).

I like being able to ask Google to turn on the house lights, play a song on Spotify etc. I also much prefer using the Google Maps since as you know getting a new map from Hyundai is costly and can be outdated. I love that I can display the map right on my cars screen.

Does the Ultimate offer AWD? I love having AWD since we get enough bad weather to make good use of it. Rear wheel drive is HORRIBLE to use. I had it in my 2009 Genesis and it was down right scary to drive during even the smallest winter storm. I'll take AWD over some of the other perks any day of the week.
AWD is only offered on the 3.8 with any level (technology, ultimate, etc.) for 2015. AWD likes gas a lot but for me it is worth the peace of mind knowing I have it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am confused by this statement. If he's buying the 5.0, doesn't that come with all the important packages that you would have to check on the 3.8?
Collision warning and adaptive cruise are standard on the 5.0, no?
Yes, if he buys a 5.0, but the conversation is about CPO that can apply to any model with any engine.

Thread starter #11

giantshark18

CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks for all the replies. I am convinced to go CPO. Now I just have to find one. I found myself waffling today on whether I could give up the V8. There are so many CPO options with the V6.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.