Steering Loss of Feel

Peterp

Hasn't posted much yet...
G80 Sport owner here looking for a solution on what appears to be a loss of feel between the steering wheel and the road and or suspension. Any transmission mode, and generally during light turns and above 40+ mph speeds, a disconnect in feel occurs.

PaulH

G80 Sport owner here looking for a solution on what appears to be a loss of feel between the steering wheel and the road and or suspension. Any transmission mode, and generally during light turns and above 40+ mph speeds, a disconnect in feel occurs.

I have a Genesis G80 Sport and over the last few months have been concerned with a similar steering feeling. Mine feels like the steering effort changes when taking a curve in a relatively spirited manner. It feels like the steering slightly "locks up". I had the service department look at it, but they could not replicate the problem. I seem to remember reading a review that mentioned a similar problem. They said turning off the stability control seemed to make things right. I will try that when I get back from holidays. I am from Canada and will be putting the snow tires/rims on within the next month. Maybe that will do the trick. Will keep you posted.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
turn off lane keep assist.

lane keep activates at 40mph. if you are taking a turn and cross the line even slightly it tries to pull you back, feels like you are fighting the steering.

in full active mode (vs. standard) it is highly aggressive at this.

g_732212

turn off lane keep assist.

lane keep activates at 40mph. if you are taking a turn and cross the line even slightly it tries to pull you back, feels like you are fighting the steering.

in full active mode (vs. standard) it is highly aggressive at this.
I always have my lane keep turned off. It actually works well, but kind of reminds me of my first car, a 1966 Plymouth with bad ball joints.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I always have my lane keep turned off. It actually works well, but kind of reminds me of my first car, a 1966 Plymouth with bad ball joints.

I played with it for the first 2 months I had the car, but in the end I turned it off, I like to be in control and I don't like that the car fights me in turns and lane changes.. I don't always use my signal changing lanes, I drive in Los Angeles and doing so is an indication to the jack-hat in the adjoining lane to speed up and block you.

might be great on a long drive to take the pressure off, but in day to day traffic IMO LKA is more of hinderance. Great for idiots that text and drive or do other distracting things, I focus on driving not "multitasking" and I like to be in full control.

but keeping with my above statement, that "disconnect" above 40mph, is likely the LKA taking over and fighting the driver, turn it off and you won't experience that sensation.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I played with it for the first 2 months I had the car, but in the end I turned it off, I like to be in control and I don't like that the car fights me in turns and lane changes.. I don't always use my signal changing lanes, I drive in Los Angeles and doing so is an indication to the jack-hat in the adjoining lane to speed up and block you.

might be great on a long drive to take the pressure off, but in day to day traffic IMO LKA is more of hinderance. Great for idiots that text and drive or do other distracting things, I focus on driving not "multitasking" and I like to be in full control.

I've tried different setting on two different cars for 50,000 miles. I never feel it trying to take over or tug at me. If I take my hands off the wheel it will take me around a gentle curve, but on the straight, it may let me drift off. Aside from the haptic wheel, it seems pretty much useless.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've tried different setting on two different cars for 50,000 miles. I never feel it trying to take over or tug at me. If I take my hands off the wheel it will take me around a gentle curve, but on the straight, it may let me drift off. Aside from the haptic wheel, it seems pretty much useless.

if you are taking a curve at a high speed, and drift outside of the lanes, which is common if you are exceeding the "recommended" speed, LKA in standard or active will buzz the steering wheel and attempt to pull you back toward the center of the original lane..

if you are taking the curve at the recommended speed and staying within the lanes, you would not notice it.

Aringel

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a similar problem with my 2018 G80. With the LKA off the steering feels like it’s grabbing and sticking when going around a curve. It takes extra effort to control.
The dealer or at least the young guy at the service department seemed to think there was nothing wrong. I might be crazy but I have driven many different cars for many years and this just doesn’t seem right.
Appreciate any further input.
Thx.

PaulH

I have a similar problem with my 2018 G80. With the LKA off the steering feels like it’s grabbing and sticking when going around a curve. It takes extra effort to control.
The dealer or at least the young guy at the service department seemed to think there was nothing wrong. I might be crazy but I have driven many different cars for many years and this just doesn’t seem right.
Appreciate any further input.
Thx.
I believe we have the same problem. I thought it was perhaps the stock tires , but switched over to my snow tires and have the same issue. It only seems to occur when the curve has a consistent radius and it doesn't seem to matter what speed I am going. LKA is never turned on. Service department could not replicate the problem. Do you have the Sport model?

3rdgen

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a G80 sport and have the same issue, taking a high speed corner the steering feels like it locks into a line, I think it has something to do with the steer by wire.
It is an intermittent occurrence. It is scary when you don’t feel in control mod corner.

g_339862

I don’t have a sport model. My problem continues.
Will try again to talk to the dealer when I get an oil change.
I suppose I’ll get the same answer and I’m at a loss to know how to proceed from here since it’s getting to be really annoying.

vlabal

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Any resolutions to this issue? I am having the same issue on my 2018 G80.

G-203909

Any resolutions to this issue? I am having the same issue on my 2018 G80.
I had the steering column replaced under warranty. That didn't resolve the issue so they replaced the steering rack, and I believe a module. That seems to have resolved the issue.

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had the steering column replaced under warranty. That didn't resolve the issue so they replaced the steering rack, and I believe a module. That seems to have resolved the issue.
I had to have my steering rack replaced also at 20,000 miles on my 2017

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums