• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Steering "quickness"?

Springer

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looking for some thoughts on the "quickness" of the G70's steering. At 3.3 Turns to Lock, the numbers say the steering should be noticeably "slower" compared to various commpetitors with approx 2.4 Turns to Lock. This has also been picked up by a couple reviewers in articles... but not mention by the vast majority.

Any thoughts? Anyone able to compare vs BMW / Audi, etc?

Thank you!

--> Unrelated question, but I'll throw it in here instead of starting a 2nd thread... the 3.3 AWD Sport... is there a space-saver spare tire or "inflatable goop kit" in the trunk? Thanks...
Full donut space doohickey...18” rim.

soundman414

Registered Member
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's definitely slower than some other sports cars. I love the steering in my BRZ and that is 2.48 lock to lock, and it's not twitchy like in cars like the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio with only 2 turns lock-to-lock. So I would say this is going to be a more relaxed car that can handle high speed cruising without needing you to be super precise on your steering inputs. My guess is that if they were to make a M3 competitor, they would take the steering to under 3 turns lock-to-lock.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Doesn't the 3.3t have variable ratio?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Having traded in a 2014 BMW 335xi with the M sport suspension and brakes, I can tell you that the steering feel and quick turn-in of the G70 are superior to the BMW, making it more fun to drive. This difference has also been noted in most of the automotive magazine test drives, and is one of the biggest advantages of the G70 over the BMW - at least the F30 chassis. The jury is out on the new BMW G20 3 series chassis.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Having traded in a 2014 BMW 335xi with the M sport suspension and brakes, I can tell you that the steering feel and quick turn-in of the G70 are superior to the BMW, making it more fun to drive. This difference has also been noted in most of the automotive magazine test drives, and is one of the biggest advantages of the G70 over the BMW - at least the F30 chassis. The jury is out on the new BMW G20 3 series chassis.
I don't know about the comparative steering ratios but the steering is noticeably quicker than the G37x I just traded in. As far as turn-in, I don't have any issues or notice any undue delay, and am pleased with the steering overall.

For reference, I used to own a 2006 Miata, so I know what razor-sharp steering and lightning-quick turn-in feel like. For an electric rack, G70 is the best I've personally driven. Never liked the steering on modern BMW's. Test drove the G20 3-series and the steering in the G70 is definitely better, IMO.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interestingly, I found an early (2017) article by Road & Track where they quoted 3.3T Lock-lock, however there are numerous more recent (2018 & 2019) articles from other sources that claim the car has 2.3 turns for RWD and 2.4 turns for AWD. That's considerably faster! I don't know who's right, but I'd be inclined to go with the more recent numbers, since early press releases can be in error, or the manufacturer may change things before production.

Regor60

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Interestingly, I found an early (2017) article by Road & Track where they quoted 3.3T Lock-lock, however there are numerous more recent (2018 & 2019) articles from other sources that claim the car has 2.3 turns for RWD and 2.4 turns for AWD. That's considerably faster! I don't know who's right, but I'd be inclined to go with the more recent numbers, since early press releases can be in error, or the manufacturer may change things before production.
Low speed lock to lock likely quicker than high speed given variable rack

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums