Steering wheel vibrates at or above 70 mph...

DWIL80

Hasn't posted much yet...
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey guys, I noticed that my steering wheel has a bit of vibration when I'm on the highway going at speeds above 70 mph. It tends to vary in intensity at times but the shaking / vibration is there. I took it to the dealer and of course they said everything looks fine. The tires are brand new and it was doing the same thing on the original set of tires. Anything that the community here recommends I do next to find the culprit? I doubt its a wheel balance issue as I think that the vibration would be there regardless of speed....

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I doubt its a wheel balance issue as I think that the vibration would be there regardless of speed....
Perhaps. Does the vibration continue up the scale (75, 80, etc?) A while back I had car that vibrated between 55-60. If I blasted by 60, the vibration stopped. Annoyed me to no end. I had the tires rebalance and the problem went away.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Sounds like either the tires are out of round or need to be Road Force balanced.

Smobien

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I had this issue as well. Turned out to be crappy tires. I tired everything rotation, road force balance. Nothing seemed to make it go away. A unfortunate meeting with a pothole forced me to replace two of the tires. Vibration completely is gone after going to a Continental DWS-06. Tire that the pothole popped was a Bridgestone Potenza re980as. Turns out these are a tire rack exclusive tire. Local shop was unable to get them and also said they have seen nothing but awful things from the Potenza re980as. So they were replaced.

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Mine had a very buzzy shimmy only in the steering wheel at 45+ that completely went away if was going around a sweeping corner, loading up the suspension/tires. Did it on both OEM Conti's and replacement Michelins I put on it. Turned out to be front wheel balance. I contend these cars are *very* sensitive to the balance...so keep at it!

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Mine had a very buzzy shimmy only in the steering wheel at 45+ that completely went away if was going around a sweeping corner, loading up the suspension/tires. Did it on both OEM Conti's and replacement Michelins I put on it. Turned out to be front wheel balance. I contend these cars are *very* sensitive to the balance...so keep at it!
lower profile tires usually require road force balancing, which in my findings only tire specific store do (Allen Tire, America's Tire, Discount Tire, etc.) a lot of mom and pop shops do don't road force, only basic spin balancing.

additionally in my experience even tire specific shops while they may do RF balancing usually have youngsters that don't know what they are doing or are doing so many cars they don't pay attention and get into a wash, rinse, repeat behavior and don't take the time to verify that the balancing is correct.

for those that don't know the difference between road force and spin balancing here is a good video:

The best shops have a Road Force Balancer with a 3d Laser wheel and tire scanner that can detect out of round tires and wheels: The only shop around me with this is an Allen Tire.

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
So I had a road force balance done. All it really does is "smash" the tire down on the rim and helps seat the bead...that I had already done by driving several hundred miles. If it's a brand new install then it can help get it right the first time. But I had them really check the balance and aim for perfection. It was not off by that much but once they got it spot on the shimmy was gone.

G-768500

There is an endemic problem with the car. A fix is coming soon and they will announce it. This is the fact.

G-753962

Got new tires...Michelin’s....car has 1500 miles. Shakes still. I was told it is what the cars do. I think there may be trouble brewing for them if they do not come up with a fix

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Got new tires...Michelin’s....car has 1500 miles. Shakes still. I was told it is what the cars do. I think there may be trouble brewing for them if they do not come up with a fix
I would think if a rebalance or new tires doesn't correct the problem, you have a lemon. I would find the shimmy to be very annoying. I had a car about 10 years ago that shimmied between 55 to 60 MPH. Got them rebalanced and the problem went away. Good luck...

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Does the vibration/shimmy go away if you are in a sweeping turn like on a freeway? If so then find another tire store and have just the fronts balanced again...I still contend it has to be spot on.

Slang

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Mine is so bad that they offered to buy it back. It is endemic to the car and they have no fix yet. They also have problems with rotors warping. I spend a lot of time with congressional leaders in Washington. The offer to buy the car back with 1100 miles came very fast once they learned of this. Love the car, hate the shaking and the denial of the problems I got even more

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.