Steering Wheel vibration while idling

nyjetfan

Registered Member
I just purchased a 2009 Genesis 4.6 with 37k miles and love the car, but noticed the steering wheel vibrates while idling in drive. When I shift to neutral the vibration goes away. The rear wheels also vibrate while the car is in motion. I did not purchase the car from a Hyundai dealer, but brought it to the Hyundai dealership near my job who balanced the rear wheels for $80 then told me I should bring the car back to where I bought it 'cause it still vibrates. Not exactly the answer I was expecting and seems I'm on my own to figure this thing out. Anybody have this problem with the steering wheel vibration at idle and if so were you able to get it fixed? The other vibrations while driving seem like they might be related to the driveshaft issue I've been reading about on this forum, but I can't find the TSB for it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

chrisnetcom

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have the EXACT same issue on my 09 4.6. I notice it goes away quite a bit when I turn off the A/C when in drive. I'm thinking a driveshaft or motor/tranny mount issue.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I just purchased a 2009 Genesis 4.6 with 37k miles and love the car, but noticed the steering wheel vibrates while idling in drive. When I shift to neutral the vibration goes away. The rear wheels also vibrate while the car is in motion. I did not purchase the car from a Hyundai dealer, but brought it to the Hyundai dealership near my job who balanced the rear wheels for $80 then told me I should bring the car back to where I bought it 'cause it still vibrates. Not exactly the answer I was expecting and seems I'm on my own to figure this thing out. Anybody have this problem with the steering wheel vibration at idle and if so were you able to get it fixed? The other vibrations while driving seem like they might be related to the driveshaft issue I've been reading about on this forum, but I can't find the TSB for it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Get a Hyundai dealer to check it out. The drivetrain has a 60,000 mile warranty for the second owner so any fix will be at no cost to you.

nyjetfan

Registered Member
I brought it back to Hyundai today. The service manager told me the steering wheel shouldn't shake like that, but he checked everything out and couldn't find anything wrong. This is a first for me. It's one thing for the mechanic to not be able to replicate the problem, but something completely different for the mechanic to admit to seeing the problem, but then say "everything checks out". I contacted HMA and HMA said they'll get back to me in a couple days with what my next steps should be. I'll update as things progress.

nyjetfan

Registered Member
Here is the reply from HMA. Keep in mind one problem is a steering wheel vibration in drive at idle which the service manager himself noticed without even moving the vehicle.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We are sorry to learn that you are having issues with the vibration in your 2009 Genesis.

We have been in contact with the Hudson Hyundai dealership regarding the vibration of the steering wheel and in your Genesis. It was their understanding that they recommended to replace the front tires to prevent the continuation of the vibration after they re-balanced the rear wheels.

If for any reason you disagree with the recommendation from a Hyundai dealership, you are welcome to get a second opinion from another authorized Hyundai dealership, as long as you explain your concerns.

We recommend continuing to work with any authorized Hyundai dealership in which, you're building a long-term relationship with experts who can help keep your vehicle running like new.

We have documented your comments and will be closing your case. Your case number ####### can be referenced if we can provide further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

mitch14

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Any updates or fixes for this?
I've been getting the vibration at idle on my '10 4.6, and it was perfect when I bought it 8 months ago, with no vibration at all.
Just took it to the dealer and they said they checked all the mounts and the computer for any codes but couldn't find anything wrong... Then he proceeded to tell me that because its a v8 its higher displacement makes it rougher than a 4cyl...

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Any updates or fixes for this?
I've been getting the vibration at idle on my '10 4.6, and it was perfect when I bought it 8 months ago, with no vibration at all.
Just took it to the dealer and they said they checked all the mounts and the computer for any codes but couldn't find anything wrong... Then he proceeded to tell me that because its a v8 its higher displacement makes it rougher than a 4cyl...
Dealer is full of BS

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
I'd stay away from that dealer! A V8 that is rougher than a 4 cyl because it's bigger?!?!?! Only if the V8 is horribly mis-designed! An inline 4 cyl engine is inherently unbalanced and thus suffers from a second-order vibration; this makes the engine buzz as RPMs increase. Balance shafts can be added (big cylinder chunks of metal spinning at twice the engine RPMs) to cancel out those vibrations... they act like big flywheels too dulling the engine's throttle response. And of course they have friction so they chew up a little horsepower/MPG as well. Mitsu developed them years ago, other companies (e.g. Porsche) used the idea under license. Honda came up with a variant that didn't violate Mitsu's patent. Flat 4 cylinder motors (really V4s with a 180 degree angle) like the Subaru and Porsche boxer configurations don't have this second order issue and can be fairly smooth.

V8 engines have only a slight imbalance... but adding counterweights to the crankshaft can cancel them almost perfectly. Which is why V8s run quite smooth. And why folks buying luxury cars often prefer V8s. They're known for power and smoothness.

And, for a given horsepower level... with a V8 engine you have twice as many cylinders "firing" for the same power as a 4 cyl... so each "bang" doesn't need to be as big/strong. You'll have twice as many "bangs" per engine revolution so the spacing is closer together for V8s compared to 4 cyl (or 6 cyl) engines too. Smaller, more frequent, pulses are easier to even-out with the flywheel mass (or torque converter mass) than less frequent bigger bangs from 4 cyl engines. Note too the typical RPMs while driving - comparing a V8 to a 4 cyl engine... the V8 will be loafing along at 1200 to 1500 RPM typically while the 4 cyl will be spinning at 2500 to 3500 RPM - about twice as much. No surprise - half the number of cylinders have to spin twice as quickly to make about the same power!

mike c.

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just found this good to know that I am not crazy but discouraging that the Hyundai Dealerships all seem to be retarded and unable to trouble shoot a problem with out a code or some hint from the car as to where to start. Did anyone in this post get any resolution? Help from Hyundai? They just told me to go solve your own problems in not so many words.

nyjetfan

Registered Member
With the help of Hyundai America a regional service rep looked at my car and recommended the dealership change the transmission and engine mounts. There is a major improvement and now I feel just a very slight feedback through the steering wheel while stopped, in drive and the AC on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.