• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Still in Break-in, need to take a long drive....

timezoned

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I need some advice, my friends.
I have approx 300km (180Mi.) on my G70 and I have to drive 800km (500mi.) this weekend.

Other than the standard "vary the speed" and "don't drive it like you stole it", any tips to help break it in properly?
Should I even be worried?

TIA

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I need some advice, my friends.
I have approx 300km (180Mi.) on my G70 and I have to drive 800km (500mi.) this weekend.

Other than the standard "vary the speed" and "don't drive it like you stole it", any tips to help break it in properly?
Should I even be worried?

TIA
Personally, I think you'd be fine without doing anything additional at this point, as you've already done most of the break in. Even so, the manual states you should drive it relatively gently, all while keeping the RPM'S between 2000 and 4000. In order to hold the gears at those RPM's you will need to drive it in sport mode, and use the paddles shifters.

Perhaps take it on a little trip up some mountains or something and enjoy the scenery and weather!

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I personally wouldn't worry too much. I don't think anything you could possibly do will make much of a difference unless you plan on keeping the car for at least 250,000km. Just make sure you have fun!! Congrats on the new car!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

timezoned

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Personally, I think you'd be fine without doing anything additional at this point, as you've already done most of the break in. Even so, the manual states you should drive it relatively gently, all while keeping the RPM'S between 2000 and 4000. In order to hold the gears at those RPM's you will need to drive it in sport mode, and use the paddles shifters.

Perhaps take it on a little trip up some mountains or something and enjoy the scenery and weather!
Thank you and thanks for the Sport Mode recommendation. I have been keeping it in Eco and Comfort mode and it’s been driving me crazy that the car keeps slipping into Drive.

timezoned

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Enjoy the drive. Sure, you will cruise for a while at fairly steady speed but not a big deal. Every half hour, if you did not stop, just downshift a gear to vary the rpm for a minute, but normal driving will do just fine. Toss in an extra rest stop for some lower rpm.
Thanks. I’ll do that.

timezoned

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On the bright side doing that will make the drive a little more fun even if you are taking it easy on the car. (y)
True... better than doing the drive in my 13 year old beater.
Thanks!

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I have a feeling that is actually us wrongly interpreting the bad English sometimes used in the manual. I think what they meant was "keep below" 2000-4000 RPM. Aka "don't go over 4k and hoon on your car"

I agree that break-in isn't 100% necessary at this point though. They do have to test these engines/cars before they send em out and that is usually where they do a good bit of break in

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a feeling that is actually us wrongly interpreting the bad English sometimes used in the manual. I think what they meant was "keep below" 2000-4000 RPM. Aka "don't go over 4k and hoon on your car"

I agree that break-in isn't 100% necessary at this point though. They do have to test these engines/cars before they send em out and that is usually where they do a good bit of break in

Break in is still necessary, but the 2-4 rpm recommendation is more of...don’t go past 4 and keep your rpms varied. At those ranges you’re shifting more so it’s a good recommendation in my eyes

nellie1289

Registered Member
Portland, Oregon
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

the exact language in the manual is ""while driving, keep your engine speed (RPM, or revolutions per minute) between 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm.

By the way, i am at 593 miles. i am dying to throw this thing into launch mode today at 601 miles, lol. i have kept it in sport mode and done a pretty good job at keeping it between 2-4000 most the time. I have gone to 5000 a couple times, it wont hurt it.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
the exact language in the manual is ""while driving, keep your engine speed (RPM, or revolutions per minute) between 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm.

By the way, i am at 593 miles. i am dying to throw this thing into launch mode today at 601 miles, lol. i have kept it in sport mode and done a pretty good job at keeping it between 2-4000 most the time. I have gone to 5000 a couple times, it wont hurt it.
I find myself loping along on the highway and no joke the car is turning like 1300-1400 RPM's. Practically idling, and there's still all the torque I need to get up to speed when necessary.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
100 miles to go, woot! Lol I'll probably take it easy until 3000 miles, change the oil, then let it loose.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums