First Generation Stock ZF Damper Lifespan

kg4pto

Registered Member
Thread starter #1
So my 2013 R-Spec has about 91k miles on it. Getting way more body roll than I'm used to and she's starting to bounce a bit. Thinking the stock ZF shocks are on the way out. How long, in mileage, do those ZF SACHS dampers usually last?

OUsig

Been here awhile...
I imagine anytime as I am at 94k miles with my 13rspec and I can tell when leaving my neighborhood (we have a few tight turns) my body has more of a push to it in my car than in our 2007 TAHOE! That I just replaced the struts and springs in.
The dealer says the struts are "fine" AKA not leaking...if so they would be trash.
I have replaced a bunch of stuff recently on my car and done a lot of maintenance so I assume the struts are next.

memphiskane

Registered Member
Not to sure about usually but on my 2012 R-spec my rears crapped out around 55k and the fronts around 70k. I am about to replace the fronts as they are just about unbearable at this point. Thats mixed city and suburb driving. That being said I bough the car used at 30k so not sure how it was used prior.

Only indicator for me as the ride was not bad but a bit squirly in the rear and it cupped the hell out of a brand new set of P Zero Nero's.

memphiskane

Registered Member
Did the rears myself. Not hard to do at all. Bottom bolt was a little tight to get at but not bad. Paid I think about $150 a piece with a coupon from hyundaioemparts.com

I believe the fronts should be about the same. Little harder to do, need a ball joint separator to pop the dual ball joints at the top arm and a spring compressor. There is an ok ball joint separator at HF for about $20 I think. Then just rent/borrow a spring compressor from advance auto.

pimpngenesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I would also like to know about coilovers (megan or BC racing). Also can the 5.0 2015+ have coilovers or is the Continuous Damping Control in the way.

memphiskane

Registered Member
I would assume it would be cheaper for the BC coils if you did them yourself. Have to remember most dealers charge list for parts unless you have a coupon and the ZF's run around $230ish list each. Then figure $130-$150 per hr labor with probably 3 hours at least needed.

No clue on the 2nd gen car adaptive suspension.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.