• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Stupid things other drivers do that get under your skin.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Jrothnet

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
This one seems totally unique to Los Angeles.

Not anticipating turns.

I have witnessed people take a right turn into a shopping center all the way from the far left lane on several occasions. What kills me the most about this is half of them seem to have baby on board stickers.

I'm sure this happens everywhere but here, its maximum overdrive. Did you not know you were going to f***ing Whole Foods when you left your driveway???

Bonus: Californians don't understand letting traffic pass by moving to the right lane. This happens in the middle of the desert even. Hell, this happens at the grocery store.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
On a recent trip via the local 3 lane turnpike, a 60+ year old lady was cruising along on the far left lane for MILES. I was in middle lane and needed to pass a slow mover and got over in the left passing lane and there she was. Just having a Sunday drive without a care in the world. Just doing the speed limit. After a good mile or so of this I started flashing my headlights at her. Still nothing. Finally after a couple more miles and flashing she sloooowly moved to the right so a bunch of us could pass. As I look in the rear view she slowly moves back into the passing left lane and once again has a trail of cars behind her.

We have a law now saying you get a big fine for not staying right but they just don't post enough signs to warn folks.

Drive me crazy getting stuck behind these idiots! I think they literally think they own the road and if you challenge them, YOU are in the wrong.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On a recent trip via the local 3 lane turnpike, a 60+ year old lady was cruising along on the far left lane for MILES. I was in middle lane and needed to pass a slow mover and got over in the left passing lane and there she was. Just having a Sunday drive without a care in the world. Just doing the speed limit. After a good mile or so of this I started flashing my headlights at her. Still nothing. Finally after a couple more miles and flashing she sloooowly moved to the right so a bunch of us could pass. As I look in the rear view she slowly moves back into the passing left lane and once again has a trail of cars behind her.

We have a law now saying you get a big fine for not staying right but they just don't post enough signs to warn folks.

Drive me crazy getting stuck behind these idiots! I think they literally think they own the road and if you challenge them, YOU are in the wrong.
I don't do this often, only on occasions like the one you described. I like passing them on the right, then moving in front of them, and slowing down to the minimum speed allowed. I like it extra if they try to pass ME on the right. I don't let them. When I'm done making my point and I see they've accepted their fate, I resume my trip.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Several people have mentioned people who drive slowly when you're behind them, then speed up when you try to pass them. This is even worse on two lane rural highways. I've had people slow down to around PSL - 20 for a gentle curve, accelerate very slowly coming out of the curve if there's traffic in the oncoming lane (or slow down any time there's traffic in the oncoming lane for no reason at all), then floor it when the oncoming traffic clears and they see me trying to pass.

This can occasionally be funny (while still very annoying) when it's a bro-dozer. The driver modified his truck to the point that it can't accelerate, brake, turn, or go over bumps well, but takes it as an affront on his manhood if you try to pass him. You can only tell he's trying to accelerate from all the noise and smoke. It struts and frets it's minute in the lane and then is heard no more. It is a vehicle driven by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Bicycles: As I mentioned before, I've had one hit and damage my side mirror by splitting lanes (riding between two lanes of traffic, which is illegal). I've also had them flip me off because I had the audacity to go when I had right of way (green light or no stop sign) while they're running a red light or stop sign. Motorists are required to give bicycles three feet when passing, and bicycles are required to keep to the right edge so that drivers can give them a safe space when passing. I routinely see cyclists intentionally ride on the left side of their lane to try to keep motorists from passing them. It's even more delightful when there's a clearly marked and segregated bike lane that they're ignoring so that they can hold up traffic.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
I don't do this often, only on occasions like the one you described. I like passing them on the right, then moving in front of them, and slowing down to the minimum speed allowed. I like it extra if they try to pass ME on the right. I don't let them. When I'm done making my point and I see they've accepted their fate, I resume my trip.
Though I certainly understand the frustration I do think it’s a bit provocative. Certainly something worthy of a confrontation.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

unhappymeal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My biggest pet peeve is the a-hole that runs up the right turn only lane to bypass a line of traffic blocks the turning vehicles, and then jumps the light to go straight and cuts off the first car.
That's annoying and straight-up rude. What annoys me is how seemingly everyone in North America does not know how to do a highway merge. Most people try to immediately merge on a highway and that forces cars behind the merging person to slow down or brake. You are supposed to accelerate to the end of the merge lane and then enter the highway. It's called "zipper merging" and it is highly effective. Every time I come back from a work trip to Germany, I'm reminded how terrible drivers in North America are.

unhappymeal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I've been "that guy" but in a good way. It irks me when you see signs "left lane closed" and well ahead, drivers merge to keep traffic flowing. There always have to be a couple that will try to pass everyone and scoot in at the last second. If I can, I'll straddle the lane and block them.
I don't want to be that guy, but that's opposite of what you are supposed to do. Any time there is a merge, people should be leaving a car length in front of them and people in the lane that cuts down should ride it to the end an then zipper in. It's the most efficient way to keep traffic flowing because you are using the full bandwidth of both lanes before it gets down to one. Unfortunately, people in North America refuse to leave space, don't know how to zipper and seem to take it as a personal insult whenever someone passes them.

unhappymeal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Another thing that steams my clams is people who stop 2 or 3 car lengths behind the car in front of them in a stopped line of traffic.

On my commute home I get off on an expressway exit ramp that ends at a T intersection traffic light, then I turn right for maybe 100 feet where there's another light, then turn left.

People whose craniums are not firmly tucked into their sigmoid colon turn right at the first light and realize that the people behind them want to fit as many cars into that 100 foot space as possible, so they put their car's nose 6" off the preceding car's butt.

Those miserable chunks of muskrat dung who have no consideration for the people behind them take up 4 car lengths just for the hell of it. I'm not sure if these "people" are evil or just clueless.

And why Lord, does it have to take 30 seconds to start moving when you're the 5th car in line after the light turns green? The first car responds after 3 seconds, the second car then accelerates 5 seconds after that, and the lag builds down the line.

Theoretically, if everybody pushed on their accelerator peddle the instant the light turned green, the whole line of cars could be moving instantaneously.

I accelerate immediately after the car in front of me moves whenever I'm in a stopped line of traffic.
Two to three car lengths is excessive, but you are supposed to leave enough room to see the contact patch of the rear tires in front of you. It's good practice to leave enough space to be able to make an emergency lane change when stopped. I have avoided being rear ended when someone was on their phone and not paying attention when they were coming up to a light. It also saves you from causing a chain reaction and being partially at-fault in case you do get rear ended.

I also don't immediately accelerate when the light turns green--especially when I had the Miata--because I've been t-boned before by someone running a red. I will let the car roll for a few seconds to do a quick scan and then accelerate. If you want to by all means, but I have no desire to have my ribs broken again.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bicycles: As I mentioned before, I've had one hit and damage my side mirror by splitting lanes (riding between two lanes of traffic, which is illegal). I've also had them flip me off because I had the audacity to go when I had right of way (green light or no stop sign) while they're running a red light or stop sign. Motorists are required to give bicycles three feet when passing, and bicycles are required to keep to the right edge so that drivers can give them a safe space when passing. I routinely see cyclists intentionally ride on the left side of their lane to try to keep motorists from passing them. It's even more delightful when there's a clearly marked and segregated bike lane that they're ignoring so that they can hold up traffic.
As I cyclist, I don't understand people who don't stick to the right. Maybe I just don't have good enough life/medical insurance, but I'd rather not be hit by a car

3.3 Rulz

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Driving at night with their lights off, idiots.

I see a lot of that crap in Las Vegas, must be the slightly drunk drivers going back home.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Driving at night with their lights off, idiots.

I see a lot of that crap in Las Vegas, must be the slightly drunk drivers going back home.
Don't know how many car manufacturers put "auto" headlights on their vehicles. However, I had an incident where I drove for a while without my headlights. I keep my headlight switch in "auto", but I think I must have bumped the switch to "off". Off I went without my headlighs on for several blocks with good street lighting. No, I wasn't drunk, but maybe a bit tired. I think the "auto" positon on the light lever should have a detent to prevent it from accidently moving out of the "auto" position.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums