Suggestions for tire recommondations for my 2018 G80.

Ksgame

Registered Member
North Jersey
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
Elaborate ? What happen exactly
In January,a blowout of inside sidewall of passenger rear tire on a shallow pothole at 33 mph in a 15 ultimate package 5.0 with cdc suspension. This after reading here the stock Conti tires are not to be trusted because of soft side walls. Car had only 19k miles and tires had 75 percent tread life. I knew I would be replacing with something else more sporty after they wore out. The blowout hastened my decision. Stock Contis we're also 334 dollars a tire for the rear to replace so I got Goodyear eagle exhilirate UHP All seasons. Wanted Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 but they were just really rolling out in January and I couldn't get the two different widths. Got a g80 5.0 '18 now, and the Michelin's are going on with a new set of wheels probably from Vossen in the spring, if the Contis last that long

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I installed Vredestein on my car last week, so far so good. They are all season grand touring tires with Severe Snow Service rated. Tires are designed to handle heavy weight, so I hope it will work well on G80.
@Huberciak , are the Vredesteins still good to you?
I'm looking at these tires too.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I replaced my stock tires when I got a blow out in one of them at 26000 miles (as the other tires were worn) with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's. At first I thought they were alright. But when the tires were rotated the car started pulling to the right. The dealer could not figure this out so I took the car to a professional alignment shop (Klamm's where a co-worker use to bring his race car.) They figured out that the tires were defective in 10 minutes. But if they re-rotated the tires they worked fine. ) I should have taken it back to the dealer and tried to get new tires then but I figured I would just use them another 15,000 miles and get them replaced. Well 7000 miles later I had my car in for service and they said the front tires had cracks on the inside sidewalls that were about 8 to 15 inches long. ( They sent me pictures.) So I called the dealer where I purchased the tires and after going back and forth with them they told me that Continental agreed to give me $60.00 off on a new set of front tires.
Even though I had to pay more for them I decided to get the replacement tires where I had been getting tires for years with no issues. Discount tires in Waukegan IL. I ordered the new Contis, they called told me they were in and they could get me in the next day.
Well only one of the tires came in so they offered me the Pirelli Zero P which were $60.00 per tire more expensive for the same price as it was their mistake. So I said lets do it.
So far I love these tires! Wow what a difference in the ride. The noise level may be a little less as well but the ride quality is just fantastic. I still have the Contis on the back and will run them until they need to be changed but will likely go with the Pirelli's back there as well. They are worth the extra money.

sosaandbarbosa

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Recommendation on tires, I would say the Michelin Pilot All Season Sport 4 or even the 3+ are great tires for these kinds of vehicles, I ran them on my previous German cars and they handled well, low road noise and not too many problems in regards to potholes and etc, I currently have a 3.8 with the Sport Package so 19" rims.

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Vredesteins have been great for me so far.
I had the Primacy mx4s then after a blowout, replaced 2 of those with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.
They were much noisier, to me, so I replaced all 4 with Vredesteins back in January. Been through winter, spring and summer in Wisconsin with no regrets thus far.

sosaandbarbosa

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had the Primacy mx4s then after a blowout, replaced 2 of those with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.
They were much noisier, to me, so I replaced all 4 with Vredesteins back in January. Been through winter, spring and summer in Wisconsin with no regrets thus far.
Im a bit of an aggressive driver at times cause NYC LOL so I prefer the Pilots A/S not S as we get winter here and they do perform decently in snow. I had them on a prior C300 as well as my GLE350 and they were GREAT. I waiting a-little to swap them on my genesis as I have someone who wants to buy my contis which are brandnew. Hopefully he doesnt fall through.

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Im a bit of an aggressive driver at times cause NYC LOL so I prefer the Pilots A/S not S as we get winter here and they do perform decently in snow. I had them on a prior C300 as well as my GLE350 and they were GREAT. I waiting a-little to swap them on my genesis as I have someone who wants to buy my contis which are brandnew. Hopefully he doesnt fall through.
Mine were the Pilot Sport All Season as well. We get a little touch of winter in Wisconsin too 😄.
I still have them bagged up in my garage (almost new) in case of a other blowout.

Attachments

• 20220824_130356.jpg
    20220824_130356.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I replaced my stock tires when I got a blow out in one of them at 26000 miles (as the other tires were worn) with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's. At first I thought they were alright. But when the tires were rotated the car started pulling to the right. The dealer could not figure this out so I took the car to a professional alignment shop (Klamm's where a co-worker use to bring his race car.) They figured out that the tires were defective in 10 minutes. But if they re-rotated the tires they worked fine. ) I should have taken it back to the dealer and tried to get new tires then but I figured I would just use them another 15,000 miles and get them replaced. Well 7000 miles later I had my car in for service and they said the front tires had cracks on the inside sidewalls that were about 8 to 15 inches long. ( They sent me pictures.) So I called the dealer where I purchased the tires and after going back and forth with them they told me that Continental agreed to give me $60.00 off on a new set of front tires.
Even though I had to pay more for them I decided to get the replacement tires where I had been getting tires for years with no issues. Discount tires in Waukegan IL. I ordered the new Contis, they called told me they were in and they could get me in the next day.
Well only one of the tires came in so they offered me the Pirelli Zero P which were $60.00 per tire more expensive for the same price as it was their mistake. So I said lets do it.
So far I love these tires! Wow what a difference in the ride. The noise level may be a little less as well but the ride quality is just fantastic. I still have the Contis on the back and will run them until they need to be changed but will likely go with the Pirelli's back there as well. They are worth the extra money.
Well the Pirelli P Zeros that I thought were so great (did relly ride and grip well) for about 8000 miles and then started getting a vibration in the front left side. Had everything checked out on them and found that the front tires were cupping. Both of them. Not too happy about having to replace these expensive tires at 8000 miles. Not sure if this is related to a suspension problem or not.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MJLx2

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
MrRich4, thanks for your report on the Vredestein’s. Which Vredestein tire model did you get? As mentioned in a previous post, I’m interested in smooth, very quiet and comfortable tires. Thanks.

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
MrRich4, thanks for your report on the Vredestein’s. Which Vredestein tire model did you get? As mentioned in a previous post, I’m interested in smooth, very quiet and comfortable tires. Thanks.
The grand touring all season:
VREDESTEIN HITRAC ALL SEASON XL.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well the Pirelli P Zeros that I thought were so great (did relly ride and grip well) for about 8000 miles and then started getting a vibration in the front left side. Had everything checked out on them and found that the front tires were cupping. Both of them. Not too happy about having to replace these expensive tires at 8000 miles. Not sure if this is related to a suspension problem or not.
I had the suspension checked by the dealer. They cheched the bearings, CVC, ball joints, and something else related to suspension. They did not check the struts. They said everything was in spec and they found no issue with my suspension. Tires only last about 25,000 miles on this car as it is as the car is very heavy. But I have 9000 on these rt now and have to change them not because they are worn out but because they are cupping. I will try something different this time.

Subzero13

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had the suspension checked by the dealer. They cheched the bearings, CVC, ball joints, and something else related to suspension. They did not check the struts. They said everything was in spec and they found no issue with my suspension. Tires only last about 25,000 miles on this car as it is as the car is very heavy. But I have 9000 on these rt now and have to change them not because they are worn out but because they are cupping. I will try something different this time.

If people are having problems with all brands then most likely the car is the problem. My 205000km Fusion rides a lot smoother than my G80 with 30000km. 😂

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If people are having problems with all brands then most likely the car is the problem. My 205000km Fusion rides a lot smoother than my G80 with 30000km. 😂
That is what I am saying. Electric cars are similar. They are very heavy and thus tires ware out fast. People are reporting 25 to 30K miles on electric cars. In the case of my last tires. I think I got a bad set of tires. I order a different tire was told they came in and made an appointment. When I brought the car in they told me they made a mistake only one of the tires came in but they had these better tires that they could give me for the same price. These tires turned out to be shit. But even if they were good tires they would likely have only lasted 25-30K miles because of the weight of the car and you can only rotate side to side. Now there may be something else in the design of the car that causes tires to ware as well.

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Serendipitously, I documented my tire experience today. I'm burning through tires faster on my G80 faster than any car I've ever owned.
I'm on my third set of tires.
17,988 miles on Factory Continental ProContact TX. Replaced all 4 due to bubble on 1 tire. Tires had about 30% tread left.
16,830 miles Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
21,258 miles Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. At 3/32" tread now. Likely replace with same tires in a few weeks.

Other than wear and bubble on factory Conti's performance, handling and noise were fine for all tires. I don't drive excessively hard (braking and acceleration and never have/will take car to the track. I got ~38K miles out of 3 sets of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8.

My current hypothesis is high low end torque vehicles (e.g. electric, G80 3.3 Turbo) encourage quicker launches causing more wear on tires.

Chumaz

Registered Member
AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Interesting thread with good info on tire choices.
I am interested to know if anyone has tried or would recommend the Hankook Ventus EVO2 tires. Looking at now to replace my Conti's.