Sunroof - creaking and groaning at slow speeds

crizzlec

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
3-4 weeks ago I noticed rather pronounced creaking and groaning from the sunroof. Rear passenger side. Had the car in today for 30k service and asked about it.

I was surprised to learn it’s not a warranty item, and would be ~$500 to disassemble and retighten the frame and mounting.

Had anyone experience this and had it covered under warranty?

Velvetsmack

Ottawa, Ontario
Genesis Model Type
From everything I'm reading it seems to be a design flaw rather than a fixable item. Like to hear from those who have actually had it fix permanently (if they are to be found!).
The creaks I get in the car are all to do with the weather so far - at least that's what I'm telling myself. After a good warmup they definitely dissipate.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
From everything I'm reading it seems to be a design flaw rather than a fixable item. Like to hear from those who have actually had it fix permanently (if they are to be found!).
The creaks I get in the car are all to do with the weather so far - at least that's what I'm telling myself. After a good warmup they definitely dissipate.
I have a 2016 (now known as the G80) and can tell you it is annoying as heck. Happens in cold weather only. Had the car in for a week a year ago to fix it and now it is back. Poor quality materials on a brand that wants to be known as luxurious to compete with MB, BMW, and Audi, bet their sunroofs do not squeak. But I must say, the rest of the car is very nice. New lease prices are outrageous and I may have to shop another brand for better value.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a 2016 (now known as the G80) and can tell you it is annoying as heck. Happens in cold weather only. Had the car in for a week a year ago to fix it and now it is back. Poor quality materials on a brand that wants to be known as luxurious to compete with MB, BMW, and Audi, bet their sunroofs do not squeak. But I must say, the rest of the car is very nice. New lease prices are outrageous and I may have to shop another brand for better value.
Every car maker with a panoramic roof has had problems. It is a nifty looking roof, but not the best idea from an engineering point. I think you will see them fade away in the future.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just got mine fixed under warranty . but it still creaks.
Most dealers just lubricate the surrounding frame pieces. I gave my dealer a bad survey rating and Genesis customer service called me and had them take it back and fix it by replacing the glass panel. Little did I know that the creak would come back in the cold weather. By contrast, 2 Nissan Rogues my Wife has driven have not had any issues.go figure.

RyanB

Getting familiar with the group...
Elmhurst, IL
I had mine adjusted and it's better than before but still there especially over railroad crossings or in very cold weather but I can live with it at this point. I also had the same problem with my last Sonata and they actually were able to fix it completely but they had to replace the entire pano roof. Not just the assembly, they had an engineer come from Hyundai and one from the company that makes the pano roof and after multiple days of adjusting the original pano they replaced the entire unit at the dealer and it was dead silent from then on. I think they only did this since they were using my car to test new rails and seals trying to fix this issue and it was in the shop for so long they just gave up and replaced it. While I was happy that they fixed the roof issue having that done caused other issues in the interior causing the headliner and piller panels to start squeaking which they then had to be replaced as well. From what I remember my dealer told me that the cost to replace the roof panel was over $10k so it’s not something that they want to do and I wouldn’t want to risk doing that again with the Genesis only to have them mess up something else.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.