Sunroof tilt track problem and $$$$

CHuntMD

Registered Member
Maryland
2011 4.6 83k miles. Wife's car, don't use the sunroof much due to allergies here in the Wash DC Metro. On the way home yestersday AM from the local Costco I tilted up the sunroof. Pulled in the garage and attempted to close. The motor/gear made all kinds of racket and the rear pass side is a 1/4 higher than the sheetmetal while the rear drivers side is 1/4 lower/ Hear wind noice while going to Pohanka Hyundai right off the DC Beltway.

Found a youtube about sunroof for a coupe but our sedanshave a different configuration. There is a plasting housing that ceeks you from accessing the 3 screws holding in the motor.

Got the call from the SA, $3400+ to fix. Open to suggestions.

CEH in MD

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
2011 4.6 83k miles. Wife's car, don't use the sunroof much due to allergies here in the Wash DC Metro. On the way home yestersday AM from the local Costco I tilted up the sunroof. Pulled in the garage and attempted to close. The motor/gear made all kinds of racket and the rear pass side is a 1/4 higher than the sheetmetal while the rear drivers side is 1/4 lower/ Hear wind noice while going to Pohanka Hyundai right off the DC Beltway.

Found a youtube about sunroof for a coupe but our sedanshave a different configuration. There is a plasting housing that ceeks you from accessing the 3 screws holding in the motor.

CEH in MD
I'd find a way to close it even it it screws up the linkage. Then, instead of paying $3400 for a repair, I'd use that for down payment on a new one.

CHuntMD

Registered Member
Maryland
I asked about that. No go from them. I did get a PDF version of the service manual from a fellow member so it's going to sit in the garage till the weekend. Might call some shops that specialize in sunroofs.

New car with more safety features is also on the burner.

CEH in MD

Warrior

Hasn't posted much yet...
I got a quote like that on an older car.

I paid them $200 to close and seal the sunroof.

nyc1rob

Registered Member

CEH in MD
Had the same problem...never used it, just decided to open it one day, the whole mechanism is made of plastic and it cracked...Hyundai told me $2,500 for a new one....they tried to close it spent an hour and couldn't and my mechanic closed it in 10 min. I've since taken the fuse out so car washers don't touch it. Not worth the money to fix it.

CHuntMD

Registered Member
Maryland
Automotive concepts in Glen Burnie MD has the skill. $800 to fix or only 125 to close up and pull the connector. Got rid of the Genny today due to a combo of other issues. Hopefully will be back in the future with a new Genesis

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The track guides are what fail on these.
Too thin of a plastic and not heavy enough grease formulation to bare the load.
Pulling the sunroof fuse is sufficient to disable power.

The manual close option with a flathead screwdriver to hold up the damaged section of guide will get it closed.

Full disassembly required for repair unless you're good with 2 part epoxies.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
what type of grease should be used for those of us that have a working sunroof and actually do use it often???

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
what type of grease should be used for those of us that have a working sunroof and actually do use it often???
Generally speaking, any heavy duty load bearing grease would be fine.

Lucas green is what I used after I repaired mine.

eevilweevil

Genesis Model Type
Hello all, I just bought a 2013 Genesis 5.0. The sunroof works fine on it, but as far as preventative maintenance, where would I put the grease? Just on the track, or can you reach the gears easily?

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Hello all, I just bought a 2013 Genesis 5.0. The sunroof works fine on it, but as far as preventative maintenance, where would I put the grease? Just on the track, or can you reach the gears easily?
There is a dust cover on each side that covers the guide rails, I pulled the covers and put it into the guide channel that the pin rides in.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.