• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sunroof vs Non-sunroof?

thejhump

Hasn't posted much yet...
Carmel, IN
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm 6'5, and I have a very tall torso, so I don't quite fit (like an inch too short) in a G80 with a sunroof. How big is the difference between the headroom in the sunroof vs the non-sunroof cabin?

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
It's called wishful thinking, but better yet - it would be nice to be able to order truly customized autos so we could avoid these junky sunroofs - along with a lot of other useless gadgets.

Unfortunately, the last time I did that, it was in 1990 when I custom ordered a 1991 Buick.

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I ordered my 2017 G80 3.8 with no packages which meant no sunroof. The dealer didn't try to push me into a package or other options I didn't want. The base model is equipped enough for me. Safety features that used to be available only in a package are now standard on the 2017 model. I've has sunroofs before and never used them.

thejhump

Carmel, IN
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Old thread but figured I'd post my findings for future users with the same question. The G80 (or Hyundai Genesis '15 & '16) without the sunroof has at least 2" more headroom than the sunroof models. I purchased my '15 Genesis on Monday and fit great, where I did not fit quite so well in models with a sunroof.

mikewv

CA
have you seen the thread re sunroof rattles. I was going to get one with sunroof and backed off after a 60 page thread.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Last I looked, the Santa Fe Sport offered standard AND panoramic sunroof options. I've had zero problems with my standard '12 Genesis sunroof.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
have you seen the thread re sunroof rattles. I was going to get one with sunroof and backed off after a 60 page thread.
I had a similar reaction when I was shopping for my Genesis. The thread was about 30 pages long when I started to get serious about the car, around August of 2015. I spent a lot of time reading the thread. There were probably more people discussing the issue, or offering advice vs. users who were reporting an issue. I am now about 18 months in to a 36 month lease. No sunroof issue. While the issue is frustrating for those who have a problem, I'd bet that the majority of owners don't have a problem.

If you read this forum, and some of the polls here, you will note that the majority of owners don't have serious issues with their G2s, but.. if they do have an issue, there are certain things that tend to crop up. Sunroof, radio, and wheel/tire vibrations are some that are in this category. I had the vibration issue due to bad tires, but that was solved after the second tire swap. (I had 2 bad sets of Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires .. swapped to Conti DWS 06, and problem solved)
I also had a radio swap, and a door seal replaced. Those issues were quickly solved, and the car is solid at this point.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
And the sunroof is most certainly not hail resistant

Glass is exactly 1/6 ths inch thick and fragile

I speak with experience.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums