• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Superchip like device for Genesis? Best peformance mods for 3.8 Sedan

SoCalGen

Been here awhile...
Los Angeles
Seems the coupe guys get all the love.

I'm looking for something that will eliminate the speed limiter, increase transmission line pressure slightly and maybe allow better programing for a CAI. If it could also eliminate the throttle delay that would be good too.

I also want something that's easy to return to stock if I need warranty work.

I've contacted a few vendors and nobody seems to make anything for the 3.8 V6 sedan guys :(:(

Eventually I want to start racing at the dragstrip and I'd like to get my Genesis down into the mid 13's. I think a CAI, Tune and Firm Shifts could do that. Would be fun to go out and upset some BMW's or Mercedes.

Koolhaas

Registered Member
Houston
you dont' get much performance upgrades on a NA engine with programming. You might get a little bump, but probably not $500 worth.

For drag racing, i recommend weight reduction and good tires. if you have 10k to spend, you could find a tuning shop to do custom turbo build with ecu mapping. But that money will only get you to V8 5.0 speeds so you may as well upgrade to the v8.

05king

Registered Member
Agreed. 20hp probably. Doing the traction control mod, tires and getting it lighter would be your cheapest!

blkgenRspec

Registered Member
Tx
if you goto youtube, look up. "genesis rspec vs" for this month. Theres a guy doing 12.6 in the 1/4 in his 5.0 rspec vs a stang 5.0 and 2015 camaro ss..

MIKES3

Getting familiar with the group...
If I can get an extra 35-40 wheel horse power from a Tune and intake on my V6 Seda I would do it in an instant.

I hear a tune wakes these cars up quite well. Coupe version that is

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

LandoAWD

Registered Member
Hillsborough, NC
Be wary of SFR. BTRcc indicated they can do the same, and has a much better track record for non-grenaded engines and, quite importantly, support.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

SoCalGen

Been here awhile...
Los Angeles
So frustrating. I might end up trading the 3.8 for an R-Spec. I might be able to score a good deal on a 13 or 14 R-Spec in another year or so.

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
I just got rid of my 13 3.8 for a 2015 5.0. I am in the process of having custom intakes made and some other goodies but its all custom. unfortunately our cars lack substantial aftermarket support. even something as simple as suspension mods are hard to find an only available from limited vendors. if you want to invest the money the parts can be made. that being said the ECUs are impossible to unlock and tune. I think Hyundai wanted to keep them from being tampered with too much.

Jl60

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
you dont' get much performance upgrades on a NA engine with programming. You might get a little bump, but probably not $500 worth.

For drag racing, i recommend weight reduction and good tires. if you have 10k to spend, you could find a tuning shop to do custom turbo build with ecu mapping. But that money will only get you to V8 5.0 speeds so you may as well upgrade to the v8.
True i own a 2012 5.0 R-Spec took it to the track and was running 13.50s at 103 that was before I did a resonator delete and muffler change I went with MagnaFlow and now the engine breaths a lot better I can tell it has more power i will be running it at the track the 29th of July and see if it runs some better #s im hoping to get it in the 13.40s.

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hello 5 year old thread.

“Chips” are snake oil. Always have been.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
True i own a 2012 5.0 R-Spec took it to the track and was running 13.50s at 103 that was before I did a resonator delete and muffler change I went with MagnaFlow and now the engine breaths a lot better I can tell it has more power i will be running it at the track the 29th of July and see if it runs some better #s im hoping to get it in the 13.40s.
Respectful times. I used to really want to have a car that could do a 14 second flat 1/4 mile at the track just so I can brag that I need a race helmet to run my car at the local drag strip. A driver needs a racing helmet in my local drag lanes if the car make 1/4 miles runs in 14 seconds or less. To me that mean I hit the big leagues.

A stock 5.0 Genesis can do a 1/4 mile in 13.6 seconds, so the car is damn fast out the box. However, I still will try to squeeze every little bit of performance out of the engine. So far I have only added performance air-filters, throttle booster, slipperier gear oil, and better tires. All helped to get me some quicker 0-60 times.

My final mod unless a ECU tune comes out will be a throttle body coolant bypass mod to lower the intake temps and I will call it a wrap. I like my exhaust nice and quiet in this car, so I will not mod that even if I probably could gain a bit more power by doing it. A loud throaty exhaust just seems wrong to me on my 2015 Ultimate.