• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Suspension upgrades???

Madduxman3104

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi. I an new to the Genesis. My 2.0T R-Spec has 2600 miles on her. Is there anyone who has good knowledge on the suspension? I feel as though the ride is a little rough. Any mods to soften it up a bit??

jnc2000

Registered Member
Your R-spec coupe comes with a track spec suspension. Not only are the dampeners and coils rated for the track, but you have different sway bars as well. (IIRC).

Your best bet would be to find a set of coil-overs... HSD comes to mind and then you'll have best of both worlds.. a progressive rate spring with an adjustable dampener.

Tires also play an important part... it just depends on your overall end goal. How do you drive your car? How hard do you push it - Will this be your DD, DD/Track, or weekend toy?

Madduxman3104

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thanks for responding.

I am not going to push the car too much. Never will mod it out or put it on a track. Everyday drivibg with about 44 miles round trip for work. Mainly highway speeds.

Next questiin: Any idea how much a smooth riding set up would cost me?

Thanks for responding.

I am not going to push the car too much. Never will mod it out or put it on a track. Everyday drivibg with about 44 miles round trip for work. Mainly highway speeds.

Next questiin: Any idea how much a smooth riding set up would cost me?
Coilovers for the Coupe can go from $800 to $1600 depending on what you want them to do.

Vince2

Registered Member
MADD your issue with the suspension is a common complaint about both the coupe and the sedan. The only reason I looked for this forum was to find a solve for the very same issue with my sedan...none of the BIG players ( i.e. Monroe ,KYB, Gabriel) have any units for our vehicles. Your best bet may be to buy the "non R spec" units from Hyundai. I tell everyone interested in buying a Genesis to thoroughly test drive the vehicle paying close attention to how our car handles bumps, pot holes and other sudden changes in road surfaces.

jimjohnmarks

Registered Member
Houston, TX
MADD your issue with the suspension is a common complaint about both the coupe and the sedan. The only reason I looked for this forum was to find a solve for the very same issue with my sedan...none of the BIG players ( i.e. Monroe ,KYB, Gabriel) have any units for our vehicles. Your best bet may be to buy the "non R spec" units from Hyundai. I tell everyone interested in buying a Genesis to thoroughly test drive the vehicle paying close attention to how our car handles bumps, pot holes and other sudden changes in road surfaces.
I find this thread fascinating. I actually came to this sub-forum to find advice on how to get my 2014 2.0T R Spec suspension _tightened up_.

I find the suspension to be far, far too soft. The car has constant up and down motion (my head bouncing off the head rest) which is the result of _give_ in the suspension, not a lack of give. It isn't fast, chattering motion which you would get from a very tight ride popping over uneven surfaces, it is the slow, wave like bounces of the springs riding up and down from one tolerance point to the other.

There is certainly no problem with roll in the corners, but the instant you hit the slightest bump the car bounces so much (again, too much give, not a lack of it) I've had situations the car went from p$%#y cat to "OMG it is going to roll over on me" in the snap of a finger. I once lost playful game of tag with an S5 not because I ran out of speed or grip but because the road surface was unsettling the car so badly I was in danger of losing grip.

Sometimes a sudden turn will push the suspension so hard that the LSD completely locks up despite no actual problems with grip.

I realize much of my problem is that Houston Texas is basically a third world country when it comes to paving quality, but I really can't get my head around the idea that the suspension in this car is too _hard_. If anything it needs tightening up?!

G-453598

My 2012 R Spec with about 100,000 mi now sits far too low. Any suggestions as to how I might raise the car an inch or two on all four corners?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums