• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Swap high performance summer’s for good all seasonals?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Since I don’t drive a ton...and will never track my car...had a thought.

I also don’t want to get into the summer/winter rim swapping game.

Sell my awesome brand new tires...and put good all seasonals on it.

I’m sure I would come out with money in my pocket.

As of now...I am completely stuck with even the slightest bit of snow. I got 14” on Saturday. I have to wait until the roads are totally clear.

Thoughts?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Since I don’t drive a ton...and will never track my car...had a thought.

I also don’t want to get into the summer/winter rim swapping game.

Sell my awesome brand new tires...and put good all seasonals on it.

I’m sure I would come out with money in my pocket.

As of now...I am completely stuck with even the slightest bit of snow. I got 14” on Saturday. I have to wait until the roads are totally clear.

Thoughts?
Like a Pilot Sport AS3+ or DWS06?
Could work. But since the Genesis is 5x114.3 anyway, why don't you buy used 18" rims with similar offset that already has decent tires on it?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not looking to spend more money...probably $1,500 or so I would imagine. And...storing them is a PITA. Limited space in my garage.

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You'd be compromising performance (and safety) the other 11+ months of the year where you don't have snow or freezing cold days. I've never lived in your area, but looks like snow and cold are pretty rare.
1544543946786.png

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You'd be compromising performance (and safety) the other 11+ months of the year where you don't have snow or freezing cold days. I've never lived in your area, but looks like snow and cold are pretty rare.
View attachment 17054
Not sure where that is...but it ain’t here.

Richmond is +/- 10 from freezing in December. Jan/Feb will get to single digits with the wind chill.

Snow is very common now...considerately more than 20 years ago. Every year we get ~8” snowfalls...more than once.

So back to my original question. I don’t need details on climate where I live. I can look out the window or go for a walk.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not looking to spend more money...probably $1,500 or so I would imagine. And...storing them is a PITA. Limited space in my garage.
$1,500 minus what you make on selling your PS4?
Or $1,500 investment total?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
$1,500 minus what you make on selling your PS4?
Or $1,500 investment total?
If I keep my current rims/tires...and buy new rims/tires...probably ~$1,500...no? More? That’s why I’m considering just swapping out my rubber.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What about:
What is a touring tire vs performance tire?
Touring. Touring tires, also called Grand touring tires are designed to deliver a comfortable ride and reliable all-season traction, with the addition of more responsive handling. They generally have a higher speed rating than all-season touring tires, and often feature an asymmetrical tread pattern.
Performance sport and sedan vehicles generally require enhanced handling capabilities from their tires. They often want reasonable traction in a variety of conditions, but the focus leans more towards performance than comfort. Some touring sedan owners modify their vehicles and want a tire with greater performance capabilities. There are luxury options available in both the all-season performance and the summer performance segments.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What about:
What is a touring tire vs performance tire?
Touring. Touring tires, also called Grand touring tires are designed to deliver a comfortable ride and reliable all-season traction, with the addition of more responsive handling. They generally have a higher speed rating than all-season touring tires, and often feature an asymmetrical tread pattern.
GT tires are nice. Had them on my Acura. They are more of a highway tire though!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I keep my current rims/tires...and buy new rims/tires...probably ~$1,500...no? More? That’s why I’m considering just swapping out my rubber.
You guys have way better prices than us. I paid just under $2,400 CAD after taxes for my winter set at Genesis. That is all in pricing with TPMS and installation.
I do think winter tires are a worthy investment for the freak weather that is happening nowadays.
You don't need fancy rims if cost is a concern. But any decent winter tires would be better than the best all-season tire. Plus you only need 225/45/R18 tires for winter.
I almost crashed multiple times on the PS4 when there was just a little snow and ice on the road. I took my wife's vehicle to work fearing I would crash the G70! Got my winters on November 19th. Next year, I will put them on a little earlier!

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey Beefer,

Great minds think alike. I took delivery of my G70 in Atlanta, carefully drove it home to NOVA on the summer times, and immediately replaced the OEM tires with Pilot Sport AS3+ all season tires. Here's my reasoning:

1. Summer tires - Generally not designed/formulated to be used below 40 F. NOVA generally is often colder than 40F during the winter, regardless whether it snows or not.

2. Performance Winter Tires - I don't need snow tires because it does not snow that heavily in NOVA. As for performance winter tires, who drives that aggressively in crappy (cold, snowy) conditions?

3. Premium All Season Radials - I'm not sure how much grip you give up using good all season tires over the OEM summer tires. I do know I am NOT tracking this car at Summit Point or VIR; I have a Kawasaki ZX6R sportbike for that. So, it may not be worth it to me to switch back and forth between summer tires and the all season tires. I can probably live with the loss of 0.02-0.04 g in ultimate cornering traction.

Your results/opinion may vary.

Cheers,
Jim

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey Beefer,

Great minds think alike. I took delivery of my G70 in Atlanta, carefully drove it home to NOVA on the summer times, and immediately replaced the OEM tires with Pilot Sport AS3+ all season tires. Here's my reasoning:

1. Summer tires - Generally not designed/formulated to be used below 40 F. NOVA generally is often colder than 40F during the winter, regardless whether it snows or not.

2. Performance Winter Tires - I don't need snow tires because it does not snow that heavily in NOVA. As for performance winter tires, who drives that aggressively in crappy (cold, snowy) conditions?

3. Premium All Season Radials - I'm not sure how much grip you give up using good all season tires over the OEM summer tires. I do know I am NOT tracking this car at Summit Point or VIR; I have a Kawasaki ZX6R sportbike for that. So, it may not be worth it to me to switch back and forth between summer tires and the all season tires. I can probably live with the loss of 0.02-0.04 g in ultimate cornering traction.

Your results/opinion may vary.

Cheers,
Jim
Sweet!!! So you selling the original summer tires and keeping the new ones year round?

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure yet. I'm keeping them at least until springtime when I can drive the all seasons aggressively on western VA's twisties. I'll keep the summers if the All seasons disappoint; otherwise I may sell them.

heeltoehero

My last car was a 14 Mustang GT Track Pack with shocks, springs, and sways. I put 92k miles on that car and burned through three sets of Pirelli P-Zero summer tires before trying Michelin Pilot AS3+. I still managed to post over 1.01 lateral g sustained on the Michelins, even with the archaic solid rear axle. Those tires had 90% of the performance of a summer tire with 150% of the tread life.

There is no compromise on the street with the Michelins, unless you are REALLY caning your car. You will, of course, pay for the privilege.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looking at various reviews, the AS3+ are a huge improvement over the older AS3 for winter use. There are a lot of people stating that the older AS3 was not usable at all even with the slightest of snow (ie. can't even get out of the driveway).

The caveat with the AS3+ though, even with the much improved winter ability over the older version, it's still a high performance tire heavily skewed to the high performance side. It's considered to be even better than some competitors summer only ultra high performance summer tires. As such, you have to have reasonable expectations on what it can accomplish in winter weather.

Going by that logic, if you find that an average all season tire on a car or SUV is not adequate in the winter, then the AS3+ is going to be sadly far from what you need it to do in the winter.

Where I live, it might not even snow here at all in a given year. But when it does snow, the roads can be much more hazardous than a place with a colder climate. In a colder climate, the snow is relatively dry and can actually provide traction. The ice in a colder climate is also not as slick. If the snow is wet and the ice is very slippery, the mild climate where I live is even more challenging to drive than the colder climate. It's not uncommon that when it does snow here, you will see cars that can't make it up slight inclines and hills. You will also see cars slowly slide down hills and crash at the bottom with all of the other cars that did the same (all in slow motion). If regular all season tires on an average car can't handle these conditions, then there is no way even close that the AS3+ is going to even come close to providing any winter safety. Basically, the rubber compound is not suitable and that is why you will not get the snow flake emblem on an all season tire.

I believe the all season tire category is basically a North American thing. In the rest of the world, you either have summers or winters. (Not going to talk about ALL WEATHERS). The old saying, "all season tires are no season tires" have some truth to it but with the latest in tire technology the lines are getting less defined.

I considered getting the AS3+ for my winter rims, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk. This is why I got the Sottozero3s for winter. I can still have the firm ride and handling in the dry and wet, so as to not being punished for choosing a winter tire in the winter, but also at the same time have the proper rubber compound for when there is actually snow and ice on the ground.

When my summer PS4s run out, I will probably replace them with the AS3+ as my "summer" tire because they are that good of a performance tire. My only concern is many people are complaining about how noisy the AS3+ are on the highway like as if they were winter tires. And this seems really strange because ultra high performance summer tires in the past have always been pretty much the noisiest. But look at the tread of the AS3+, pretty aggressive, so wondering if that might be the issue to all of the noise on the highway.

Last edited:

Dpaulc

Registered Member
Bought some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 225/45R18 (Speed rating Y) at Costco today - they're running a sale ($70 off Michelin tires, $0.04 installation). Total was $725 after tax. Includes mount, balance, 45k mi warranty.

Bought OEM TPMS sensors (52933 J5000) off eBay.

Putting them on Enkei Dracos (509-880-6535AP).

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums