Swap high performance summer’s for good all seasonals?

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bought some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 225/45R18 (Speed rating Y) at Costco today - they're running a sale ($70 off Michelin tires, $0.04 installation). Total was $725 after tax. Includes mount, balance, 45k mi warranty.

Bought OEM TPMS sensors (52933 J5000) off eBay.

Putting them on Enkei Dracos (509-880-6535AP).
Please let us know if you think they are noisy on the highway. There are some reports that say the AS3+ makes more tire noise than the PS4 on the highway.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why? Will the handling be that much better?
Depends on what you want the car to feel like. 225 square makes it more fun and you can oversteer easier cause the rear will lose grip quicker.
My winter setup kicks my tail out faster when pushed compared to my staggered summer setup.
245 square would give you a good compromise between grip and handling.

Check this video out:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So would I go for 245/40/R18 then?
Whichever 245 profile that is close enough to stock that won't throw off the odometer. 245/40/R18 sounds about right.

*Actually looks like it will be closer to 245/45/R18.

Last edited:

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
245/40/18 is 1.2% smaller in diameter. This is under the 3% rule that some say you should follow. Going to 245/45/18 is 2.7% greater than stock so still under the 3% rule.

Dpaulc, I thought you already bought the tires and rims to match OEM specs.?

Going from 225 to 245 is not huge compared to what's done in aftermarket but I think everyone here has gone to match recommended OEM specs. ie. the 18 x 8 wheel size and tire size is same for the V6 non Sport models. There is a point to keep things simple and matching OEM in case there are any problems or if the dealer tries to blame you if something does goes wrong.

If you do try the 245 tire size, let everyone know what you observe and post pics. Please.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
@Friday I ordered the wheels/sensors off eBay and tires from Costco based on what people were using for winter wheel.

Went back to Costco before close. The first issue is they only have the G70 2.0T in their system, and no mfg stock size for 18s. Long story but 245/40s were greater than the 3%. Going to stick with the 225/45s.

savemoresaveoften

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
225/45 is a much more popular size than 245/40 when it comes to needing a single tire for replacement etc. And for winter with snow and rain, narrower stance better too.
Stick to 225/45 unless the rim you source are too wide for them. My 2cents :)

smorvay

Villa Rica, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I live outside of Atlanta. We get snow maybe 1 day out of the year. Everyone immediately goes into an apocalyptic panic and the entire area shuts down so staying indoors on a day like that would be expected.

So if the only weather concern I have is temperatures below 40° F, would it still be necessary to get all seasons? Exactly what happens with summer times when the temperature dips below their range?

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had summer tires on them so I'm a complete newb about this.

g_169291

Summer tire compound do start losing its optimal traction below 40deg F. As long as you are aware and be prepared for it (longer braking distance, less traction when cornering etc), you sb fine (you mentioned you do have option of staying home if needed.) Keep in mind summer tires will give u zero traction even even when there are just a small bit amount of snow on the ground. Freezing rain even worse.

steintm12

Registered Member
IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I live outside of Atlanta. We get snow maybe 1 day out of the year. Everyone immediately goes into an apocalyptic panic and the entire area shuts down so staying indoors on a day like that would be expected.

So if the only weather concern I have is temperatures below 40° F, would it still be necessary to get all seasons? Exactly what happens with summer times when the temperature dips below their range?

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had summer tires on them so I'm a complete newb about this.
I don't have experience with Atlanta winters, but I stupidly drove a couple Chicago winters on summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport, 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6) when I was young and didn't know any better. I went off the road a couple times during snow storms, but (as I recall) it really wasn't a problem in below freezing dry conditions. The only issue I remember about cold dry days is reduced traction when accelerating from a stop, similar to warm wet roads.

This Tire Rack article makes it sound worse, with the possibility of damaging your tires. Maybe someone with recent experience using summer tires in your climate can chime in.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
Here you go:

IMG_20190111_163629.jpg

Enkei DRACOs, 225/45/ZR18 Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3+. Costco said the wheels would do best with hubrings, which were another $6. Total cost just shy of $1400. Also, it would be $20 to swap back to the 19s when it warms up.

I've been driving on these since Thursday. Grip is massively better, especially in the mornings (30-40F). Honestly not sure if there's a noticeable improvement in sound or ride quality because hitting the I-94 on ramp at 85 mph leads to an adrenaline rush and my heart pounding in excitement. As for handling, I'm kinda a newbie on this front but I was able to easily take a tight, looping exit ramp at 50 mph still. Holy shit is the car still ridiculously fun.

sorry about the overcast lighting in the pic. I'll provide more pics in better lighting soon.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here you go:

View attachment 17545

Enkei DRACOs, 225/45/ZR18 Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3+. Costco said the wheels would do best with hubrings, which were another $6. Total cost just shy of $1400. Also, it would be $20 to swap back to the 19s when it warms up.

I've been driving on these since Thursday. Grip is massively better, especially in the mornings (30-40F). Honestly not sure if there's a noticeable improvement in sound or ride quality because hitting the I-94 on ramp at 85 mph leads to an adrenaline rush and my heart pounding in excitement. As for handling, I'm kinda a newbie on this front but I was able to easily take a tight, looping exit ramp at 50 mph still. Holy shit is the car still ridiculously fun.

sorry about the overcast lighting in the pic. I'll provide more pics in better lighting soon.
Is it a square setup?
I found when I went with the winter square setup, it became more fun cause it tended to oversteer very easily!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.