Swap high performance summer’s for good all seasonals?

Falldog

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm planning on getting 70 after winter ends and am thinking about the whole summer tires in winter thing too. Is it better to swap our tires & rims once it gets cold out, or just get the all season AS3+ and use year round mentioned already?

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I live outside of Atlanta. We get snow maybe 1 day out of the year. Everyone immediately goes into an apocalyptic panic and the entire area shuts down so staying indoors on a day like that would be expected.

So if the only weather concern I have is temperatures below 40° F, would it still be necessary to get all seasons? Exactly what happens with summer times when the temperature dips below their range?

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had summer tires on them so I'm a complete newb about this.
I also live in the Atlanta area and have swapped my Michelin Pilot A/S +3 for Falken FK510 summer tires due to our very low chance of receiving ice and snow in our area. Plus, if we do receive ice on the road it usually melts in about a day or two. However, I also have an AWD SUV with A/T tires so I can just swap vehicles for bad icy conditions if needed. My summer tires handles the cold weather pretty well with no ice/snow this winter in the Atlanta area.

If the G70 is your only mode of transportation, then I would buy some cheap tire straps for those rare winters that actually give us real ice/snow on the ground if you really had to go somewhere with your summer tires.
Amazon.com: Car Snow Chains for Car Suv Truck,Anti Slip Tire Chain,Adjustable Universal Emergency Thickening Anti Snow Cables,Winter Driving Security Chains,Traction Mud Snow Chains-Fit for Tire Width: 185-295mm: Automotive

Carol

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You guys have way better prices than us. I paid just under $2,400 CAD after taxes for my winter set at Genesis. That is all in pricing with TPMS and installation.
I do think winter tires are a worthy investment for the freak weather that is happening nowadays.
You don't need fancy rims if cost is a concern. But any decent winter tires would be better than the best all-season tire. Plus you only need 225/45/R18 tires for winter.
I almost crashed multiple times on the PS4 when there was just a little snow and ice on the road. I took my wife's vehicle to work fearing I would crash the G70! Got my winters on November 19th. Next year, I will put them on a little earlier!
FYI. My insurance company (Canadian) gives me an extra 5% discount for using snow tires.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
FYI. My insurance company (Canadian) gives me an extra 5% discount for using snow tires.
Yeah all auto insurance companies I have dealt with does. As long as you use them between Dec 1st to March 31st.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.