• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T SxthElement Catch Can install + review

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Finally got around to installing my catch cans from SxthElement. These guys provide a very nice looking kit, with a proven design for oil separation/filtration that is shared with many other big companies (such as Mishimoto). Unfortunately, I was unable to find installation instructions on their website, so it took me a little longer to figure things out and make it look nice.

I will first post how to install the catch cans, along with my thoughts on the hardware and design. I will revisit this thread when it comes time to change my oil, and I'll post how much oil collection I get in each can and revisit my conclusion on this mod.

Install

The SxthElement catch cans come with a heavy duty bracket that bolts onto one of the intake manifold mounts, to begin the install you must first remove the engine cover, and locate the PCV hose, located a little ways behind the throttle body where the intake manifold makes its first bend...

Remove the clamp, and unplug the vacuum hose.

IMG_20191007_155447.jpg

Now, follow that hose down to where it plugs into the back of the block. It plugs directly into the PCV valve. To unclamp this end of the hose, you must first remove the o2 sensor connector bracket, as seen here....

IMG_20191007_155937.jpg

Now you will have enough room to use some pliers to unclamp the other end of the PCV hose, as seen below (i removed the hose insulation to get a better picture)...

IMG_20191007_160142.jpg

Go ahead and remove the PCV hose and set it aside.

IMG_20191007_162028.jpg

Go ahead and reinstall the o2 sensor harness bracket.

Now is a good time to install the catch cans and their mounting bracket. I found that it's easiest to install by first removing the catch can on the right, so you will have easier access to the 14mm mounting bolt. To do this, obviously, remove the 2 mounting screws with a hex wrench....

IMG_20191007_160931.jpg

Once the right/front catch can is removed, you may remove the 14mm manifold mount bolt located here....

InkedIMG_20191007_154216_LI.jpg

After removing this bolt, go ahead and line up your mounting bracket, while only having 1 catch can attached, and secure it in place making sure the bend/kink in the bracket fits snugly against the intake manifold protrusion, like this....

IMG_20191007_161323.jpg

You may now reinstall the other catch can if you'd like, or begin to work on plugging in the hoses for the PCV catch can. The kit comes with 4 hoses total, you'll notice that 2 are smaller in diameter than the others - these are your PCV hoses. Set the larger ones aside, as we don't need them until we install the other can. If you look closely, you'll notice that of the two smaller hoses, one of them is slightly longer than the other. Slide on your screw clamps over this longer hose, and attach one end to the PCV valve, then route the other end of the hose to the intake side of the catch can, as pictured below....

IMG_20191007_162838.jpg
IMG_20191007_163014.jpg

Continued....

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At this point you are now ready to install the outgoing hose that attaches to the intake manifold. You have two options. First, you can do what I did and re-use the OEM PCV hose, attached to the new tubing for a somewhat easier install, OR you can cut the new hose from the kit in half, attach the in-line one-way valve, and then attach the other end of the new hose to the intake manifold. The only downside with the second method is that the smaller diameter hose found in the kit is an EXTREMELY tight fit onto the intake manifold nipple. I worry that the rubber hose may crack and split after several months of usage, so I decided to do the first option.

First, you must install the one-way valve. Make sure the arrow is pointed towards the OEM hose that attaches to the intake manifold, like this....

IMG_20191007_162239.jpg

Now attach the remaining small diameter hose (the shorter of the two), so you end up with this (ignore the unattached hose)...

IMG_20191007_162654.jpg

Now attach the old OEM tube back to the intake manifold nipple....

IMG_20191007_163224.jpg

Then route the hose along the PCV hose and around to the catch can, like this....

IMG_20191007_163330.jpg

You're all done with the PCV catch can! Next, if you haven't already done so, attach the other catch can to the mounting bracket, then begin by locating the valve cover breather hose, seen here (it is marked with a yellow sticker from the factory)...

IMG_20191007_163636.jpg

Start by removing the hose from the valve cover...

IMG_20191007_164209.jpg

Then remove the hardline mount by loosening the two 10mm bolts...

IMG_20191007_163855.jpg

Then undo the clamp, and you can remove the hardline from the rest of the breather hose that connects to the driver's side turbo inlet pipe....

IMG_20191007_164315.jpg

Now, you should have 2 large diameter hoses left in your kit. One is slightly longer than the other, use this longer one to attach to the valve cover vent, like this....

IMG_20191007_164722.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Now route this hose along the front of the engine, underneath the cold sided charge piping, and up into the right nipple on the catch can, like this...

IMG_20191007_165127.jpg

Don't worry about it sagging at this point, you can trim it later, and I recommend doing so after you have all the hoses attached so you can get a better look at things.

Now go ahead and attach your last remaining hose from the kit to the left nipple on the catch can, route this hose under the cold sided charge pipe similar to that of the valve cover vent hose, so it looks something like this (note I hadn't tucked this hose under the charge pipe yet)....

IMG_20191007_165216.jpg

Now, get ready to attach the last hose by first attaching the barbed aluminum nipple, here...

IMG_20191007_165546.jpg

And then attach the hose/plate mounting bracket. It comes included with new screws that have fancy flush mount washers to replace the stock 10mm bolts - you don't want anyone to think that you're just some plebeian by reusing those silly OEM bolts...

IMG_20191007_165656.jpg
IMG_20191007_165831.jpg

Route the hose through the hose/plate bracket like this, and see how much you want to trim off. I ended up removing about 3 inches.

IMG_20191007_170120.jpg

Once trimmed, you can attach the hose to the aluminum barb like this. Don't worry, the new plate will cover the connection.

IMG_20191007_171037.jpg

Now that the outlet hose has been trimmed, you can trim the other hose to snug things up a little bit and make it all match better. I trimmed the other side just about the exact same amount, 3", as you can see below...

IMG_20191007_170546.jpg
IMG_20191007_170608.jpg

The very last on the list is to install the "G70" plate/cover. Use a small hex wrench and a 10mm socket to hold each nut on as you tighten the hardware down, and you should end up with everything looking similar to this...

IMG_20191007_171435.jpg

Here you can see the hose routing as well. Note that the right port on each catch can (when facing it) is the inlet, and the left port is the outlet.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And to finish everything off, the engine cover is placed back on. This is a pretty nice looking kit!

IMG_20191007_171631.jpg

Thoughts

Unfortunately my kit did not come with any instructions, nor could I find any on their website. Even though, catch cans are pretty straight forward - but I could've installed it much quicker if I had a nice little guide. That said, I decided to post my how-to so if anyone else decides to get this kit, they can use my install as a reference. Anyway, SxthElement makes a very high quality kit. I am impressed with the fit and finish of everything! So far, the only downside I have found is that the cans are kind of heavy, despite being made of aluminum. It looks like the tops are milled from a very big chunk of material. The upside to this is that they are very strong and sturdy, and will likely last a very long time. Take a look....

IMG_20191007_153035.jpg
IMG_20191007_153040.jpg

The brass, 40 micron filters, separator plate, and additional filter media look very similar to other proven, high performing catch can designs. These cans are well made and seal exceptionally well. All of that said, I think you can't go wrong with this kit - if you want a dual catch can setup. Even so, I'm sure other kits will come along and perform equally as well, or perhaps better! We will see.

I will update this thread when I do my next oil change, which is in about 1300 more miles. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow, nice write-up Todd, and excellent photos. Very helpful. Almost like you've done this before 😉 . After your last project this must be a breeze. It's crazy that there weren't good instructions included.
This engine is a bit of a rat's nest of hoses. It reminds me of my old '82 Honda Accord, which was carbureted and had a ton of vacuum lines. (I was amazed that it all worked fine and gave me no trouble.)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow, nice write-up Todd, and excellent photos. Very helpful. Almost like you've done this before 😉 . After your last project this must be a breeze. It's crazy that there weren't good instructions included.
This engine is a bit of a rat's nest of hoses. It reminds me of my old '82 Honda Accord, which was carbureted and had a ton of vacuum lines. (I was amazed that it all worked fine and gave me no trouble.)

Ooohhh, I remember those old accords and civics. The vacuum hoses on those things were an absolute mess!

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd has followed the legal restrictions and avoided posting the shop manual he purchased from Genesis. However, by the time he finishes his projects and posts them here he will have given us all the necessary information within his unique format. ;)
Sure thing. ;)

vicmdv

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Great write up. Thank you, Todd!
How hard is it to empty the cans? Do you have to remove the hoses or screws or there is enough space to simply unscrew the bottom cup of the can and drop it down to remove?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Great write up. Thank you, Todd!
How hard is it to empty the cans? Do you have to remove the hoses or screws or there is enough space to simply unscrew the bottom cup of the can and drop it down to remove?

The cans are simple to empty - just unscrew the bottom by hand. There is enough room to do it without removing anything, but they are fairly tight despite just hand tightening.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Really interested how much oil these collect and will both cans have oil or just predominantly only one can? 2020’s have finally started showing up in Texas in small numbers. Hope to have a G70 by year end and a catch can will be on my list of add-on’s. My wife’s new CX9 I’ve just run a can of CRC intake and turbo cleaner thru the intake at 10k miles hoping to be proactive to mitigate buildup on the valves of her turbo 4 cylinder.

FlooF!

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Awesome build and instructions. What is the necessity of the oil catch can?

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Awesome build and instructions. What is the necessity of the oil catch can?
When the engine is running, some gasses from combustion make it past the piston rings and into the crankcase. This pressure needs to be relieved in a controlled manner or it'll make it way out wherever it can. These gasses also can't just be vented to the atmosphere. So the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is designed to solve this. It channels the gasses back into the intake to be burned by the engine.

There is an innate problem, however. The inside of an engine is pretty much constantly misted in oil. This oil makes it out through the PCV system. When this oil is burned it can lower the effective octane rating and cause detonation. Not to mention that oil is going to burn dirtier than gas. You can probably find pictures online of a Subaru owner removing their stock intercooler and literally pouring oil out of it.

A catch-can system will separate most of this oil before it gets to your intake. This makes sure your engine runs cleanly and reliably.

FlooF!

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ah so even with a stock setup, should this be something that should be done? Or is it really only necessary for a build out?

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
T
Ah so even with a stock setup, should this be something that should be done? Or is it really only necessary for a build out?
They have a benefit for sure, how much for the average driver and those who trade cars every 3 years or so, who knows? I keep my cars more than 6 years typically so cheap insurance for keeping the valves clean IMO. Will be interesting once folks report oil collection amounts during their oil changes.

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is one of those "Last 5%" things. For the vast majority of owners, there isn't a real problem. But if you're the type that wants to go that last 5% to be sure you're doing everything you can for your engine, then they're a good idea. Especially if you're the type that will buy one car and drive it until either you or it dies first.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: I ended up trimming the G70 plaque because it was pressing into the driver's side diverter hose after I installed my AEM intake. I cut off more material than I wanted to, so I ended up trimming both sides...

Before...
IMG_20191010_022813.jpg

After...
IMG_20191109_211359.jpg
IMG_20191109_211405.jpg

What do you think? Does it look dumb now? Or is it alright? Haha

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?