Tell us about your "double-take" moments

Simonwpb

Been here awhile...
Well I am sure that in coming months the Genesis will become a more common sight... but right now the car is getting some stares!

Today I was walking to my car in a parking lot when I observed a man walk past my car, slow to a complete stop, slowly back up in reverse and start thoroughly checking it out. He was quite confused. Apparently he couldn't decipher the "H" logo, because he had to ask me what kind of car it was. He was very complimentary and I know he was still looking when I drove off.

What reactions have you seen to your new Genesis?

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Great idea with the Lotus video! I'm sure the Genesis would have some very interested parties as well! Let's keep going with the reactions - and if anyone has a video camera that could do a video like the one above, do it! :)

Coug

Getting familiar with the group...
Went out with it today for the first time after picking it up last night. I was filling up with gas when a guy walked over and asked "What kind of car is that?" When I told him he said, "From where I was standing I thought it was a Lincoln." When I went inside the attendant said, "Man that's a beautiful car; is it a Lexus?" When I told him what it is he was quite surprised. This is fun....

BaywayRic

Been here awhile...
Wife went to fill up with gas, and all of a sudden notices a guy in a very expensive car backing up. Stops, rolls down his window and says, "What is THAT?" She tells him and the reply was , "That is beoootifull!" "I thought it was a new Mercedes."

This IS fun.:D

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

unknown_owner

Registered Member
Someone should make a video of this and send it into Hyundai:

Cover all the "H"s on the car and park if somewhere a lot of people will walk by and see it, stop and start to talk to each other. they will keep talking to each other to figure out what it is. Then when you have a good crowd, you walk out, hop in and take off, without saying a word. Act a little conceited, don't answer any questions, shoot you have a great looking car and the crowd just proved it!!!!

DanTheMan

Been here awhile...
I wasn't there to actually see it, but when my Gensis went back to the dealer for a couple of days, the service manager told me that they had to take it over to their company-owned BMW dealership (about 10 miles away) to do some diagnostic checks due to the availability of the checking devices. Once there, they drove it into one of the service bays, and they said it 'drew a crowd'. Keep in mind, this is a larger, very nice/high-end, high-volume BMW dealership in the fastest growing part of town--higher-end shops, restaurants, etc. The people in the bays would be mechanics, techs, service writers, etc. No one recognized it!

Must have been a sight!

"Things that make you go "hmmmm....."

Dan :>)

jwaters943

Been here awhile...
Reno, NV
I've had quite a few double-take moments (including one Acura RL driver and one C-Class owner).

Today, however, was the first time I've had someone motion for me to roll down my window. I was at a stoplight next to a guy (probably 22-25 years old) in a yellow Hummer H2. He motioned for me to roll down my windows which I did. He then asked me what kind of car I was driving to which I replied "a Hyundai Genesis". He says "from Korea, right?" and I nod. He then says "wow, that's an amazingly beautiful car, I had no idea what it was". Then the light turns green and we wave goodbye.

All I know is, I never got this type of compliment while driving my GS430 or 528i. ;)

DanTheMan

Been here awhile...
Someone should make a video of this and send it into Hyundai:

Cover all the "H"s on the car and park if somewhere a lot of people will walk by and see it, stop and start to talk to each other. they will keep talking to each other to figure out what it is. Then when you have a good crowd, you walk out, hop in and take off, without saying a word. Act a little conceited, don't answer any questions, shoot you have a great looking car and the crowd just proved it!!!!

Forget covering the "H's"...most don't know (or don't look close enough) to even know what it is!

Simonwpb

Been here awhile...
This week while stopped at traffic lights I have had two (female) drivers roll down their window and gush how beautiful my car is. That has to be a first for Hyundai! (It's a first for me too)

jwaters943

Been here awhile...
Reno, NV
I had another experience on Monday. A guy in my neighborhood saw me drive by and followed me to my garage to ask about my car. He knew it was a Hyundai Genesis, but wanted to see it in person. He seemed decently impressed FWIW.

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
Whilst sitting in the left turn of a long red light today, the guy in the 'go straight' lane to my right motioned for me to roll down my passenger window. When I did, he asked me "What kind of car IS that? My son's convinced it's an Aston Martin". (Among other things, I think he got a glimpse of the wing emblem on my right front wheel.)

I told him it was a Hyundai Genesis, which drew a blank look from him, but his ~17-year-old son piped up "Oh yeah, I've been reading about them...COOL!".

Then the light turned green, and they saluted me out their windows with a dual thumbs up.

Considering what I paid for this car, an exchange like that's gotta make me smile! Instead of teenagers in Mustangs wanting to take on my 530i ("C'mon, dude, let's see whatcha got"), it'll be a pleasant change-of-pace to encounter true car buffs that appreciate thoughtful engineering.

Lonny 53

Hasn't posted much yet...
Downey CA
Mine has been getting a lot of looks also. I find people looking at it in parking lots and when they pull up beside me. I find a lot of other Hyundai drivers speed up (as I pass them) to get a closer look. Last Friday I returned by leased M45 and my wife picked me up. Then, while I was going through all of my Infiniti papers, I found the thin little key that opens the door. So, Saturday, after we went to breakfast, I drove over to the Infiniti dealer to return the key. There were three salesmen standing around outside (poor guys have nothing to do since there are NO customers). After I went in and dropped off the key, I came back outside to find all three checking out my Genesis. They were all impressed with it. THAT made my day!!!